• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Demanding Fakeness

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Forcing others to be fake?!?!?!?

That sounds/seems god awful!!!

I never feel like people are forcing me to be fake, maybe when I was a kid or something, but now? Never.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
To commemerate this thread
an excerpt from
Laura Marling's " My Manic and I "

" I cant control you I don't know you well
these are the reasons I think that you're ill. "

YouTube - Laura Marling - My Manic And I

heart

heart on fire
I never feel like people are forcing me to be fake, maybe when I was a kid or something, but now? Never.

Even at work? Just curious. Work can be the worst about it.

Edit: The worst is the office chat, not the work!

R

RDF

When I was younger, I was much like the OP. I really resented being interrupted and asked what I was thinking about or why I looked sad, or being prompted to smile.

Nowadays, I've resolved that problem by treating the situation as an opportunity for a brain dump: I tell the other person what I was thinking about right at that moment. Sometimes I have to clean it up or be general so as not to shock or be socially inappropriate, but in general I really do tell them what was on my mind, sort of as an anecdote. Even to total strangers.

And usually people are interested. It reassures them that I'm not in a foul mood because of them; and it makes me seem more transparent (and therefore non-threatening) because they see me opening up easily to them on demand. And personally I kind of have fun with it. It's kind of a surprise to me what comes out sometimes.

But that's how I've resolved that situation as I've gotten older. Furthermore, it suggests to me an answer as to why that situation was such a problem when I was younger. It was because I imagined some kind of high barrier or wall between "me" and "them" that I felt shouldn't be breached. Now that I've gotten in the habit of breaching it, I find it's kind of fun to let people in on my thought processes. I think it gets back to the "self-monitoring" thread, and perhaps concerns the issue of what we consider our "true self" (and how zealously we guard it from the outside world).

Just my two cents, of course. Oh well, off to bed.:zzz:

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
what is the purpose of forcing others to fake? Is it just something that serves to quell the Forcer's concerns and worries, or does it also serve the GROUP well being (on a short-term basis) by masking hostilities?

people dont like reality. to expand on the explanation of my aforementioned demeanor, whenever i fill someone the reality of something/someone as i see it, the response is often times negative.

the reality of most social situations is that everyone is not feeling the same thing... happy, sad, etc. a realistic person accepts things for what they are and nothing more.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Even at work? Just curious. Work can be the worst about it.
hahaha

I don't know how I manage it, but even in a working environment, I am able to keep it real.

My last job was at an incredibly busy, high-end pastry shop, where 50% of the clientele were complete stuck up a-holes, and even though I have a generally positive disposition, the second a client was overly rude, or disrespectful, I'd calmly, emotionally return what I was being given.

Nine out of ten times if you stand up to a jerk, they tend to flip the script on you and become damn near overly nice. :yes:

I was lucky, in a way, to have been raised with a bully as a sister. BULLIES HATE BEING BULLIED!!!

But in general, I loathe being fake and avoid situations where I *have* to be, i.e. dealing with close friend's and S.O.'s family members, etc.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
But that's how I've resolved that situation as I've gotten older. Furthermore, it suggests to me an answer as to why that situation was such a problem when I was younger. It was because I imagined some kind of high barrier or wall between "me" and "them" that I felt shouldn't be breached. Now that I've gotten in the habit of breaching it, I find it's kind of fun to let people in on my thought processes. I think it gets back to the "self-monitoring" thread, and perhaps concerns the issue of what we consider our "true self" (and how zealously we guard it from the outside world).

Interesting...

If it came from genuine concern, I really wouldn't have a problem with it. The problem I see is that the inquiries or comments or requests emanate from an insecure and intolerant mindset that I prefer to distance myself from. I don't tolerate insecurity and neediness very well. I should learn, methinks.

heart

heart on fire
That brings up another question: what is the purpose of forcing others to fake? Is it just something that serves to quell the Forcer's concerns and worries, or does it also serve the GROUP well being (on a short-term basis) by masking hostilities?

I think it is both.

MBTI Type
INTJ
When I was younger, I was much like the OP. I really resented being interrupted and asked what I was thinking about or why I looked sad, or being prompted to smile.

Ditto. I'm not sure if it's fakeness that really bothers me. I just get annoyed when people ask me what's wrong or tell me to cheer up. Apparently my default facial expression when at rest is a scowl or a sourpuss. So all it means is I'm mentally engaged, not sad. But everyone thinks I'm like this :emot-emo:

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I've noticed that I tend to treat everyone the same. I think it has to do with how I was raised, and the cultural influences my extended family had on me. People respond well to tactful bluntness, IME. Perhaps blunt is the wrong word.. honesty? One-facedness? Some people like it, some don't, but those that do are usually my cuppa tea.

Edit: err.. does this post have anything to do with the thread? I think I need some sleep.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
agree. It may even serve the group on a mid-term basis since it is about norms, and people may well adapt to such norms...

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Interesting...

If it came from genuine concern, I really wouldn't have a problem with it. The problem I see is that the inquiries or comments or requests emanate from an insecure and intolerant mindset that I prefer to distance myself from. I don't tolerate insecurity and neediness very well. I should learn, methinks.
That, or investing your life in a future of hermitage.

heart

heart on fire

It is possible to find others who value sincerity. It is also possible to be a example to others to show sincerity over fakeness. Groups are made of individuals and that is the only way a group can change or heal, one individual at a time.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
It is possible to find others who value sincerity. It is also possible to be a example to others to show sincerity over fakeness. Groups are made of individuals and that is the only way a group can change or heal, one individual at a time.
I so can't disagree with this philosophy, true that!!! :hug:

R

RDF

Interesting...

More and more, I don't care about people's motivations. I'm getting old; I just want to have fun. I'm into easy solutions to minor problems, and then seeing where that takes me. For example, responding to and chatting with those nosy extraverts who make those comments or requests; sometimes they actually turn out to be okay people. :party2:

heart

heart on fire
*comfortable sincerity

Of course I don't mean losing all tact or sensitivity, I just mean letting go of the joy addict type stuff, all the smiling depressives running around, smiling all day and crying inside, alone and trapped.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

I have my own neediness issues. In trying to deal with them, I've noticed that self-criticism really doesn't work, since the decision to change something reinforces the relative value system that anxiety is built on to begin with; more specifically, my motivation to "fix" my issues emanates from the same place as the issues themselves: a fear that if I don't get my shit together and form a connection, the relationship will dematerialize. One of the best solutions to this dilemma is in tolerating my own shortcomings, or at least being patient with my own progress and journey. Learning how to tolerate those shortcomings in others is a great way to develop self-compassion.

(Super-serious response to a joke-reply, I know, but whatever... don't impose on me! HAHAHAHA! (Shit, now I'm laughing.).)

Last edited:

heart

heart on fire
More and more, I don't care about people's motivations. I'm getting old; I just want to have fun. I'm into easy solutions to minor problems, and then seeing where that takes me. For example, responding to and chatting with those nosy extraverts who make those comments or requests; sometimes they actually turn out to be okay people. :party2:

I am sure they are okay people, that's not my objection to them. I just don't always have the energy to expend out a bubbly persona and I don't always have the energy to make them party to what is going on in my mind at the moment. I reach out when I do have the energy, but if it is not there, it is not there and it doesn't mean I am mad or sad and I wish more people could accept this at face value.

It also doesn't help that everytime some shooter goes off, the first thing that is said about them is that they were quiet people! :D

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I have my own neediness issues. In trying to deal with them, I've noticed that self-criticism really doesn't work, since the decision to change something reinforces the relative value system that anxiety is built on to begin with; more specifically, my motivation to "fix" my issues emanates from the same place as the issues themselves: a fear that if I don't get my shit together and form a connection, the relationship will dematerialize. One of the best solutions to this dilemma is in tolerating my own shortcomings, or at least being patient with my own progress and journey. Learning how to tolerate those shortcomings in others is a great way to develop self-compassion.
Great post!!!

I think part of the reason why I happen to be such a great "people person", is the fact that I am very cognizant, understanding, and accepting of myself, and all of my myriad issues. For some reason, as you mentioned above, this directly correlates with one's ability to be compassionate with others.

Coolness!!! :D