User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

Smile Effectiveness of praise vs insult

Isn't it weird that parents protect their childs from insults, but not from praise, in fact, they often shower them in praises themselves?
    They say I only think in form of crunching numbers.....
    -Fall Out Boy

Quote Originally Posted by Mephistopheles View Post
    Isn't it weird that parents protect their childs from insults, but not from praise, in fact, they often shower them in praises themselves?
    Not at all. Praise is good while insults are bad for a person's development. This applies to other animals as well (think of training a dog, for instance).

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Not at all. Praise is good while insults are bad for a person's development. This applies to other animals as well (think of training a dog, for instance).
    Like in the training of dogs, praise is good if combined with a achievement. Constant praise just for itself, like many parents do today(it's often even supported by so-called experts as "building up self-confidence"), is usually rather bad for the development because it makes the child lose interest in maturing, instead staying on the level you already are, or even worse, lose interest in behaving reasonable if the parents still praise them.
    They say I only think in form of crunching numbers.....
    -Fall Out Boy

Quote Originally Posted by Mephistopheles View Post
    Like in the training of dogs, praise is good if combined with a achievement. Constant praise just for itself, like many parents do today(it's often even supported by so-called experts as "building up self-confidence"), is usually rather bad for the development because it makes the child lose interest in maturing, instead staying on the level you already are, or even worse, lose interest in behaving reasonable if the parents still praise them.
    I imagine a child that has constantly been praised would live a happier life than one that has constantly been insulted.

Oberon

I imagine a child that has constantly been praised would live a happier life than one that has constantly been insulted.
    Bifurcation fallacy.

Neither of those children will be as happy in the long term as the one who has been praised for his achievements, critiqued for his shortcomings, and all along encouraged to do his best.

Unlimited, uncritical praise feeds the ego... that's not the way to put a child on the path to ultimate happiness.

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Bifurcation fallacy.
    Not really. I was not trying to say that one needs nothing but praise, but rather that, if one has to chose between the two, praise is always preferable to insults.

Neither of those children will be as happy in the long term as the one who has been praised for his achievements, critiqued for his shortcomings, and all along encouraged to do his best.
    I am not entirely sure what you consider 'shortcomings', but, besides that, I agree with you.

Unlimited, uncritical praise feeds the ego... that's not the way to put a child on the path to ultimate happiness.
    By your own standard: Bifurcation fallacy.

Oberon

By your own standard: Bifurcation fallacy.
    I'm afraid I will need you to parse this for me, then. Here's your quote:

And here's my quote:

I was operating under the assumption that "constant praise" and "unlimited, uncritical praise" were synonymous. Tell me how they're different, and then I'll understand how I've been misunderstanding you in this thread.

(Should anyone wonder, I'm agreeing with Victor here. Mark it on your calendars.)

I was operating under the assumption that "constant praise" and "unlimited, uncritical praise" were synonymous.
    They are. The point - just an aside - was that if my statement is guilty of committing a bifurcation fallacy, then so is yours. Mine, however, was not intended in the way in which you apparently read it, so it is not guilty. Yours, on the other hand, was written after you had accused mine, so if it is synonymous to what appeared to you as committing a bifurcation fallacy, then your statement actually is guilty.

Oberon

Okay, let me try this again...

[wipes rhetorical slate clean]

Option One: Raising a child with nothing but praise.
    Option Two: Raising a child with nothing but insult.

I believe that both of these options yield an inferior result (less happiness over the course of the subject's lifetime) than a third option:

Option Three: Raising a child with ready praise and constructive criticism administered in a generally encouraging environment.

That's all I have to say.

Well, then:

[...] I agree with you.