User Tag List

123 Last

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

Default Developing your weaker functions?

This question arises from a couple of discussions over various threads.

In the original MBTI theory, each person had 4 cognitive processes which formed the core of how they'd operate. In the XXXX type discussion, the question raised was that everyone had the shadow processes working, within the main 4, and not subsequent to; would a well developed person be XXXX then, i.e. able to use all functions with equal comfort.

Have also funny cognitive test results for myself - I'm weak Si, Fi, Se is average. Ne, Ni, Te, Ti, Fe are all strong for me.

So... I'm curious to know, how could one develop the functions one is weaker in, specifically Fi, Si, Se for me.

Replies from dominant/auxilliary of these types would be much appreciated, as with clear paths of action.

Reason I'm asking is I've realised the weak Fi could be the lack of centre for me, and I need a balance to the critical parent that is Ti, and the wildchild that is Fe.

P.S: If anyone wishes some insights how to develop other functions, for anyone else, you're welcome to. Thread is open for tangents.

MBTI
    entj

IME, the way to develop functions is to realize the functions. This is usually done by understanding what each function does. However, learning a functions is like learning a language to me. As a person gets older, it gets harder to manipulate these mental tools in it's 4th dimensional entirety. So developing a function can actually become a lesson of putting on a mask.

Most XXXX are probably XNXPs that don't want to label themselves under one personality.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by Electric View Post
    Most XXXX are probably XNXPs that don't want to label themselves under one personality.
    *mumbles* The point is not to become XXXX... The point is being able to flex between functions. You'll still be your original type, therefore you'll have tendencies to use your dominant and auxiliary functions more. Only now you can choose to use your weaker functions consciously if you wish to. It's like yourself as a stretchy spring.

I've been taking the approach to learn about the use of other functions by observing people with it as dominant and auxiliary. I've noticed a comparison between how the two types use it is helpful in picking out the patterns. After that, I attempt to apply through practice. For example, I have only started learning to use Ti after I learned about MBTI beyond the 4 letter code around a year or so ago. I know talking to the folks over at INTPc helped me developed my tertiary Ti, despite the fact that I can't stand staying there anymore.

Function development is a slow process trial and error for me... sometimes I swing too far and unbalance myself. Oh... and I found that cognitive function test is helpful as an indicator of your progress.

If people with dominant and auxillary Si, Se, Fi (to some extent Te) don't mind sharing how they use their functions. I would like to hear about it too.

MBTI
    yupp

I can do that with Si I can bring up Si if the situation needs it, but most of the time I use Ne
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

I think developing your weaker functions tend to happen naturally as long as you are open minded. I can say that I am much more well rounded now than I was when I was 16. I don;t tend to see the need to push that natural progression - although I admit I have, unknowingly, because of work place dynamics.
    Should have bought the Saab

If Si means good recall ability (though I think it is fundamentally about "mindfullness"), then I think Harry Lorayne's techniques can help.

My memory was atrocious, till I applied some of his techniques. I only got one of his books. I did some linking and chaining, and if you do it, it can help with remembering lists (which I rarely have a need to remember). But for remembering more complicated things, it was more natural for me to do it by just understanding why things were the way they were.

I think Si, comes more as a Sherlock Holmes (yes, I know Holmes was more likely an INTJ, but still) style ability "take note" of what is observed.

I have several ISTJ freinds, and they are all amazingly observant. I also know a couple of ISFJs and they are too (though they take note of different things).

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Without mentioning type, what skills or traits, specifically, are you looking to develop?

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Without mentioning type, what skills or traits, specifically, are you looking to develop?
    I would like to develop:
    • organizational skills
    • conversation skills
    • "hapiness" skills
    • timeliness skills
    • better concentration
    • better ability to appreciate humor
    • faster sensory integration
    • emotional intelligence
    • social intelligence

The above is not a complete list, but its a start.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

Edahn,

I'm looking specifically for a kind of centre to return to. It is hard to describe. I remember you had once your type as an ENTP. You know the emptiness within an ENTP then, of a life lived outside.

So. I was trying to figure out what it was I was missing. Perhaps Fi.

Is that clear?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aelan View Post
    Edahn,

I'm looking specifically for a kind of centre to return to. It is hard to describe. I remember you had once your type as an ENTP. You know the emptiness within an ENTP then, of a life lived outside.

So. I was trying to figure out what it was I was missing. Perhaps Fi.

Is that clear?
    Without mentioning type! I kinda know what you mean, but I'd still like you to elaborate.

If it's getting in touch with some calm states of mind, I could offer a few suggestions. Check in with your posture and try to stay relaxed and calm as best you can. At the same time examine your pace; try to do things deliberately, carefully and flowingly, like walking or talking to people, or even putting sugar in your coffee. If your Ne starts acting up on you, that's fine, just return to your posture and physical pace.

If you have some free time, try to incorporate some beauty into your life. You could take a lone trip to a botanical garden, have some tea and journal or paint, take a hike, whatever. Be patient with your progress and don't worry too much about getting everything "fixed" right away. Any work you do will be progress, even just putting effort in, so it's impossible to really fuck this up.

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I would like to develop:
    I'll try, but I'm no expert in any of these things and have few experiences to reflect on. With that disclaimer, here goes:
    [*] organizational skills [*] timeliness skills - both of these are probably a matter of discipline. Start making small changes in both areas. They'll eventually develop a momentum of their own. Do you go to the gym? If not, go 3 times a week for the next month, without fail, for 45 minutes at a time.
    [*] conversation skills - I can't help but wonder if part of the reason you think you have poor conversational skills is because you think you have poor conversational skills. To that degree, your mind is being clogged up with self-judgments and fear instead of empathy. The next time you talk to someone, just say to yourself "I'm really here for you. I'm here to listen as best I can." Don't worry if you're not a great conversationalist yet. Everything takes time, and genuineness, or even attempting to be genuine, counts for a lot. If you're talking about flirting, that's another story.
    [*] "happiness" skills - find out what's making you unhappy and experiment with different ways to uproot those things. There's some identity and some variability between all people's problems. Understanding the source of your problems will help you immensely. So, why aren't you happy?
    [*] better concentration - see my reply to Aelan.
    [*] better ability to appreciate humor - start being silly. Start in private, move out to your friends, and then into other areas of your life, too (family, coworkers - to the extent that you can maintain your work). Next time you're in the shower, make a song and slap your nut sack around like it was a speed bag. See how you feel.
    [*] faster sensory integration - jesus. how about "less worrying about totally insane shit." I don't even really know what this means, but you could try playing Set (buy it, too, it's fun) or Photohunt (shitty version, google for others). Video/arcade games might be a good solution, too. Shooting games might work, or puzzle games requiring speed.
    [*] emotional intelligence - objection: vague and ambiguous. Narrow it down, please.
    [*] social intelligence - Same objection, same request.