Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Also, one point I forgot to add, I have seen people spend thousands of dollars on vet bill. Trying to cure their 18 year old dog of cancer and crap (which I would never do). I wonder if they are just pretending wanting to be a pet owner as well...
    This is an excellent point. I almost had a nervous breakdown when someone hit my cat with their car and he didn't die, and his back legs were broken and I had to put him to sleep.

I guess my love of cats has replaced my love for children. Just kidding, I love my nieces and nephews, and haven't ruled out the possibility of maybe having one if I find the right person and settle down and they want that too. But that's the thing - I don't want it bad enough to have a kid if I don't meet the right person, or if he doesn't want to be a father. I mean if I found the right person, and he didn't want to be a dad, I think I'd be okay with that. I'd rather be with someone I loved than marry a guy I didn't love as much just so I could have a father for my children.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    All of my girlfriends who have kids tell me never to have children.
    Ha! I have one of those friends. I'm pretty certain she's INFJ. Whenever we would go somewhere and she had to bring her daughter with us, she would look at me and quietly, evenly say, "Marm, don't ever have children. Just don't."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    Do people rationalize their fear of having children with economic calculations?
    Yes.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I remember reading an article that likened parents to junkies, and over-all, I agreed with it. Being a parent causes terrible stress, the reasons aren't all economic. Research on the matter, to my knowledge, generally indicates that parents are more stressful and less happy on average than non-parents. However, the fleeting moments of joy and satisfaction are the parts parents tend to remember, at least enough to drive them to keep putting up with the burden just for the next rush. You know, like a junkie.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I don't know. I believe some people really are...obsessed with children. I never related to these people - some men, but mainly women - I was like, yeah, well you knock yourself out with that.

One of my cousins actually said when we were teenagers she'd rather have kids without a husband than a husband without kids.
    My mom.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    GONE

Is kinda like the "sunk cost fallacy"...nah that'd be depressing.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    You know, like a junkie.
    Parents hanging out for their next Oxytocin hit?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    91?

Quote Originally Posted by Catbert View Post
    Parents hanging out for their next Oxytocin hit?

Quote Originally Posted by Tamske View Post
    Heh. You can take any two variables and try to find a link between it. But of course, a link doesn't automatically mean the one thing causes the other. There is a famous example of this: in the years 1970, both the number of storks and the number of infants born declined heavily in Sweden. Does that mean storks bring children? Or was there something else - pollution maybe?

I think parental joy has a much simpler explanation. Genetics. Any genetic combination which results in more successful offspring is likely to get spread more. We're genetically engineered (read: evolved) to be happy parents.
    Correlation != causation. It's drilled into me from many, many psychology lessons. :p

Genetics? Partially, I'm sure... So, since the goal of the gene is to propagate, humans have generally evolved to biologically feel rewarded when we have babies. That makes sense, although societal factors matter too. I wonder if this implies that people who don't want kids are not evolutionarily fit. What does that say about personality types who are less likely to have kids? Why do some people ignore their biological need to pass along their genes? Is this a good thing? I'm sure there are statistics showing that some types are less likely to have children, so now I am thinking about what life events/situations tend to correspond with these people, and if this is a good thing. I saw in the NT forum someone who saw having children to be a us-or-them mentality -"I'd better bring some kids into this world because my awesome genes need passing on." ha ha! Hey; I wonder if there have been studies of parent/child and personality types to see if there is any correlation.

...Whoops, that got kind of random. I'm just thinking to myself about why people want to have kids (since I don't; it's a bit hard to understand fully) and what factors come into play.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

It's hormonal. Wait a few years and it passes.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I think they are confusing happiness with satisfaction. Children are often a lot of hard work, so you don't necessarily feel "happy," because of them. But when you look at your life and what you want to accomplish, knowing that you have loved and nurtured someone is amazingly satisfying. I know that my life would feel very empty if I did not have children.