User Tag List

First 1234 Last

ThatGirl

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    People forget that kids can do useful stuff like wash the car and dishes. "This isn't a hotel you know"
    Yes! How did I miss that?

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    More like scienz!

Sometimes when you try to quantify an experience in order to study it, you strip it of the very intangibles driving the behavior and thus arrive at a wrong or misdirected answer.
    Yup di dup! Very much agree.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

So when you stress the costs of a decision somebody has made he or she will get more defensive than when you mention both the costs and the benefits? I am amazed.

This does remind me of another study where they interviewed parents at very short intervals to see how stressed/relaxed and happy/unhappy they were feeling at the particular moment. No suprise they were on average more stressed out and worried than the child free control group. But they showed more overall satisfaction with their lifes despite objectively being constantly more stressed out.

The conducters of the OP study might call that a delusion. But you could just as well say that there are benefits related to how you feel when you look back at your life (what do you regret and what are you glad you did?) or when you consider your overall position in life. it is in this big picture ledger of happiness that children seem to be a big plus.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    Economics explains parent/child relationships about as well as chemistry explains music.
    Economics has physics envy!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    ENTP

Heh. You can take any two variables and try to find a link between it. But of course, a link doesn't automatically mean the one thing causes the other. There is a famous example of this: in the years 1970, both the number of storks and the number of infants born declined heavily in Sweden. Does that mean storks bring children? Or was there something else - pollution maybe?

I think parental joy has a much simpler explanation. Genetics. Any genetic combination which results in more successful offspring is likely to get spread more. We're genetically engineered (read: evolved) to be happy parents.
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    All of my girlfriends who have kids tell me never to have children.
    I'm not sure that's very good advice. Why do they say that?

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I'm not sure that's very good advice. Why do they say that?
    Oh, they're just stressed out. I know they love their kids & likely don't truly regret having them, but I also think they long for the freedom of their childless days (including the financial freedom). They also already know I don't want or plan on having kids, so they're just reinforcing the positive aspects of my decision.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    Economics explains parent/child relationships about as well as chemistry explains music.
    like.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    People forget that kids can do useful stuff like wash the car and dishes. "This isn't a hotel you know"
    chores. yuck. but perhaps the only reason i may consider children.

completely kidding.

how about this one... the cost input of dating and over exaggeration of spousal bliss?

this whole study is ridiculous. of course money stresses everyone out, and for some, this is perhaps one of the reasons as to why they won't ever have children. but for those that do desire a family, they're completely entitled to feel stressed out occasionally. but this isn't necessarily a sign that one is unhappy with family life.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I don't know. I believe some people really are...obsessed with children. I never related to these people - some men, but mainly women - I was like, yeah, well you knock yourself out with that.

One of my cousins actually said when we were teenagers she'd rather have kids without a husband than a husband without kids.

Some people may exaggerate, but I think some people are ALL ABOUT being parents, like they think they're alive to be parents. Whatever.