• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Impersonality and preference for communication methods?

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
Has anyone considered why they prefer particular communication methods for particular tasks?
Obviously this is limited to logistics - you can't speak face to face with someone interstate or overseas and likewise you might only be able to buy a particular product online even though you would prefer to buy it at a local store.

What tasks do you prefer to do via face to face communication and why?

For example certain tasks require less impersonality than others.

Similarly, for speaking over the phone, email as well as internet forums?

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I prefer to do in person tasks that I am just learning how to do, especially hands-on sorts of things and new procedures. That way I can get instant feedback regarding my technique and see how it's done. If there's a part of it I'm not clear about, I can just ask the person right away and not have to wait.

Sometimes group assignments are alot easier to manage in person. I remember in college and grad school doing group assignments when it was difficult for us to all meet in person. We ended up having to exchange a bunch of emails back and forth. It worked okay but it would have been more efficient if we could just all meet in person.

If I have to call a company about something (like a question about something on my bill) I much prefer to talk to a human being right away rather than having to navigate through a complicated menu.

Most other tasks I'm fine with handing them via email. There are times when I really like ordering things online. I don't even have to set foot in a store and in some cases its cheaper. At times, I wish I could just buy a car online rather than having to deal with pushy salespeople.

If I have to tell someone something I know is going to hurt or upset them, sometimes I find it easier to do it over email or write a letter, especially if I think there is a high likelihood of them lashing out or reacting in a way that I would find overwhelming to deal with. I know others say its best to just tell them in person. I like to wait until they've gotten over the initial shock and cooled down a bit and then we can discuss it.

Lark

This is a good topic.

I actually prefer communication via text and typing to speaking on skype or phone, especially if its something work related or involving a specific direction, recommendation or details, in some ways I think it makes people cut the crap and structure or think about what they are going to say. Its very to the point and I appreciate that more.

G

garbage

Generally, I prefer email when I need to keep a record of our conversations. In that way, it's often suitable for assigning/receiving tasks, confirming that a company has received questions or ideas that I've communicated directly, etc.

Generally, I prefer face-to-face when we need a more rapid exchange of ideas or if there are many people involved.

I hate using the phone because I rely a lot on nonverbal cues, so I avoid it when I can :shrug:

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
I actually prefer communication via text and typing to speaking on skype or phone, especially if its something work related or involving a specific direction, recommendation or details, in some ways I think it makes people cut the crap and structure or think about what they are going to say. Its very to the point and I appreciate that more.

This makes me think about the relationship between feedback and time spent. If the person can in fact communicate clearly after thinking about it for a little while, then it is more efficient in terms of your time. However if there are barriers in such communication and more feedback is required, then such methods can perhaps waste time, or at least prolong any outcomes that were contingent.