User Tag List

12 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Question where is my mind?

I have a real issue with talking without thinking about it first... I really don't try to at all, in fact, I've been actively TRYING to stop and think before I say something, but somehow I always slip up

It's not even like I say things that are rude and obnoxious... I just happen to say what's on my mind, whether it's what I'm "supposed" to say or not. I get in trouble for this tendancy at work quite often, mostly because I'm also inept at looking around and making sure that none of the walls with eyes and ears are present before talking

How is one supposed to overcome this tendancy? I try, I really do, I remind myself before walking in to think before talking even and it doesn't seem to work in the least
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    yupp

my voice raises with out my permission when I'm talking smack about someone. Yes I shouldn't talk smack, but they probably deserve it.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I never tend to raise my voice or get caught talking about someone... just complaining about policies or announcing ways that they've been overcome!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    yupp

I don't anymore I just text someone instead. and I don't keep numbers of people I don't like in regular text rotation.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

I don't know. You just stop for a split second and imagine the effect what you say will have. Maybe focus on the other person in your mind.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I'm not even saying anything about anybody

and how do I remind myself to stop for a split second to think when I can't even remember to stop to think not to say something?

I guess you're pretty much screwed. Just say something to cover the first thing.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

so on the entire forum nobody has a good trick on how to remember to shut the hell up?

MBTI
    yupp

duct tape. might not shut you up but will muffle any offenses you might say.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    so on the entire forum nobody has a good trick on how to remember to shut the hell up?
    You could constantly review your most embarrassing moments caused by it. Though it probably won't work if you're naturally not self-conscious, overly introspective, or otherwise simply not inclined to give a shit about the past.

You could think forward and look back at what you're saying as you say it. Though it probably won't work if you just take things as they come.

You could literally bite your tongue. Though it probably won't work if you have a high tolerance for pain.

You could skip a few hours of sleep so you don't have as much energy to talk. Though it probably won't work if less sleep = more impatient and straightforward for you.

Errr, or you could just put something in your mouth. Like a big wad of gum maybe? Though it probably won't work if gum is against work rules or you already talk with your mouth full.

You could picture yourself as the other person? Or you could just warn or apologize in advance? Or you could spin it for comedy and maybe make fun of yourself a little bit.

tbh These didn't sound as dumb before I actually typed them out. Hahaha.