User Tag List

First 123 Last

garbage

My sleep doctor once advised me to stay up once for ~36 hours in a row, then get to bed at a "decent" time, in an effort to "restart" the ol' body clock. It didn't particularly work for me, but it might work for someone else out there!

I've also resigned myself to just being productive in several-hour spurts starting from 10am onward. And, screw it; prescription sleep meds do wonders for me.

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    I have tried and tried again to retrain myself, but it never works. I've gone for at most two weeks on a "normal" sleep schedule, but I always end up fucking it up on off days. If I don't go to bed before 10 (which, who the hell wants to do that?), I get an energy spike and basically can't go to sleep after that. It's like there's a sleep window but I deliberately miss it because I don't want to live like an old fat lady.

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    you're 22 that's normal. I wouldn't worry to much about it, until you have to get up at 7, and you'll probably retrain your body to get up early and go to bed early.
    Unfortunately on weekdays, I already have to wake up at 6:30 a.m. Yet I can still never sleep before dawn...my stubborn fvcking body! :steam:

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    My sleep doctor once advised me to stay up once for ~36 hours in a row, then get to bed at a "decent" time, in an effort to "restart" the ol' body clock. It didn't particularly work for me, but it might work for someone else out there!

I've also resigned myself to just being productive in several-hour spurts starting from 10am onward. And, screw it; prescription sleep meds do wonders for me.
    I tried the 36 hour trick (unintentionally) before. Sadly it didn't do the trick...I was just a delusional bear the whole time.

And sleeping pills didn't work for me! I waa still laying in bed trying to conjure up yawns.

Goddamn it people....it looks like it's genetic.
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I've been on the same sleep schedule for years through thick and thin. I just don't fall asleep until midnight or 1. End of story. I can stay up later if I want, but no earlier. I normally start yawning around midnight. (Thankfully my work goes along with that now.) If I sleep in/ don't put an alarm, I always sleep till 9:30 or 10. But if I work 7-3. I'm screwed. It's not a terribly bad schedule to be on, but it would be nice to change it if I could. I read somewhere (I don't know if it's true or not) that your GI system has a little bit to do with your sleeping. (It shuts down at a certain time and wakes up again at a certain time.)
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

One way to get to sleep earlier is to physically tire yourself out. Do you work out consistently? If not, you could try to work out after dinner to the point of exhaustion for a month, so your body gets conditioned to being tired in the evenings.

MBTI
    entp

Yup, sleep time used to fluctuate between 12am and 7am. Effects are not good - productivity takes a dive, profs ask you to prove your enrollment status or leave, marks jump off a cliff and die.

Solution? Don't sleep one morning (so stay up for 30+ hours) then go to bed at about 11pm or 12am. THEN GO TO BED ON TIME THE NEXT NIGHT. And the next night. And the next night. The key here is consistency. You NEED to go to bed the same time for atleast 5 sleeps. Get that bitch of a circadian rhythm right. Then and only then can you allow yourself to stay up an hour late on special nights.

Also, no matter how much sleep you get on the weekends (8hrs or none), wake up at the right time (or at least within 1.5 hrs of your normal waking time)

Yes, I have a patent pending on this process. I was the chief investigator and the chief test subject.

PS: If you really are an entJ, this should be much easier for you than it is for me...BELIEVE lol

MBTI
    entp

nah...im not sure if insomnia is genetic.

is it that you are so tired you can't sleep? sometimes even your eyes hurt? its ok...just make sure to not sleep at all till the next 11pm arrives.

also, don't go from computer screen to bed...im pretty sure that keeps me awake...its the brightness, breakdown of a certain vitamin in your eye makes your body think its daytime. go have a glass of water and try to relax. then go try to sleep

i used to stay up til 5-6am in the morning be at yoga by 9am,
    up until last month. i was able to that because i was sleeping
    twice a day. 6-9am and nap around 6-8pm.

now i'm sleeping once a day. and can't make it past 1 am.
    get up at 5.30am. the quality of energy is much lower than when
    i was sleeping twice a day.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

MBTI
    ISTx

Naturally, I'm a night owl. If I didn't have day time commitments, I would definitely be nocturnal as a mofo. When I was on an ultra normal schedule was when I was deployed actually. I had to get up every morning at about 7:00 and spent long, hot days outside and was so exhausted by the end of the day that getting to sleep at 9pm was pretty consistent.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

From the age of 14 I've managed to survive on roughly 3-4 hours a sleep of day and still function efficiently. The downside of that is I can't actually have a sustained sleep cycle at normal hours without either waking up intermittently, or only managing to stay asleep for about an hour; I've basically given up on trying to reestablish a sleep schedule beginning at what would be considered normal hours. Basically, I stay awake until I'm absolutely exhausted and then just crash, otherwise when I attempt to go to sleep my mind continually races in an seemingly infinite amount of directions.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I'm having trouble converting to morning persondom, though I'm trying hard. I have to be up in 5 hours for work and I can't mentally wind down enough to get to bed on time earlier.

I agree with Ignite, it's easy when you're physically exhausted. I could fall asleep in Mozambique with no power (aka air conditioning) by 9 pm too. The sun wears you down if you're outdoors in some serious heat.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis