User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Visual thinking and other kinds of thinking

@Saturned / thisGuy / skylights: Thanks for the insights, that sounds quite cool! I don't think I do anything like that usually with such pictures. But it is interesting to get some awareness about how different other people think.

Especially with the date/calendar example I would like to hear how effective that method is for you. Do you feel that it is a very quick process (which might be maybe more effective than other peoples' methods) or does it involve some more or less noticeable while at least?

@Sparrow: I did not hear / read about the theory itself yet, but I knew there was something like it. I will take a look on it when I have some time Surely there exist some tests to this also, or?

5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    i have a mind-calendar that looks like a big circle, like this:

and then days i see in linear bars, just like

sunday - monday - tuesday - wednedsay - thursday - friday - saturday - sunday - monday - etc.
    hah i got mind calendar like that too, except january is on the left. it got stuck in my head when i was in first grade and our teacher draw it on chalk board when teaching months to us or something. similar thing with the days too, but week starts at monday..

normally i dont use much visual thinking, unless im trying to visualize something, like if i got an idea for photo and also when im remembering something that happened. but with memories its from 3rd person perspective, not from first person. its funny i have noticed that longer time its been from the moment im remembering, the "image" is further away from my head, at least most the time.

when im thinking, i kind of "talk" in my head. like well, pretty much the same way i write, but i dont write everything that goes in my head, but the things i write are pretty much exactly same thing as what i say in my head when thinking what to write. also if im thinking of doing something i do the movements in my head, kinda the same thing as talking in my head without actually opening my mouth, but its just "moving" in my head without actually moving
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

morose bourgeoisie Array

I'm not a visual thinker much at all. I am very tuned into sound though.

I use the pictures people use during the lectures, and then explain them in my way. It's hard to understand what the lecturer says, and so I often have to "work it out" for myself. Which often succeeds. I also undergo a lot of independent reading, which makes these otherwise abstract concepts relevant, and hence easier to remember.

I'm a mix of a visual-auditory and kinesthesic learner...but I have to practice more of the visualisation, especially when it comes to working out chemical reaction mechanisms
    Even when we have lost hope in resolving the problems we have, we are still fundamentally part and parcel of the world. By virtue of this understanding, we can do anything realisable within the universe. [So don't give up ]

If you don't like the way this universe is - go somewhere else!" - Richard Feynman

What do you think about me?

6w7 sx
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Eckhart View Post
    Some time ago there was some thread here about how people imagine other people on this forum here in their head visually. I for myself never really make myself an physical imagination of other people in the internets, and it was said maybe I am just not so much a visual thinker.

I gave that a little thought and tend to agree. When people for example describe a place with their words that I don't know (or not so well), I have trouble imagining how those words translate into a visible image (and most of the time I don't even care about it). Usually people come up with all kinds of details when describing things, and they will tell you even what kind of shoes people wear for example while I am happy when I am 100% sure about whether the person even had shoes to begin with

Also you sure all know those diagrams etc. drawn by teachers on a blackboard or so to explain people something; I for myself had always more trouble understanding something by those diagrams (when they get very complex) than without them, they would rather confuse me :confused:

So I open this thread because I hear that it is apparently normal that people have different strenghts and weaknesses with different kinds of thinking. I would like to know what other kinds of thinking or learning styles there are and what you think are your worst and best applied ones.
    I'm best at auditory/musical. Set anything to music and I will remember it or think about it more. This is probably why I was drawn to both singing and dancing as a small child, though I never had a lot of luck with instruments even though I tried playing different ones in my late childhood and early teens. I also tend to "subvocalize" people posts like imagine their voices, and I'm turned on by the sound of men's voices sometimes.

I also picture people looking a certain way, to a degree. Visual diagrams helped me TREMENDOUSLY in college, especially, I remember. College text books which had good illustrations and charts helped me to grasp things well. I almost need things broken up into "bites" sometimes, which seems like Te bullet points. I get soooo lost in Ti walls of text and want to throw something usually.

I'm also good with anything that is intrapersonal (Fi related probably). I have the aux-Fi tendency that Beebe describes how I "teach others" by giving examples of things from my personal experience, it's effing uncanny.
    "Sentiment without action is the ruin of the soul." - Edward Abbey

SEE-Fi /Gamma