• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

When is it time to move on from MBTI?

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
At what point in ones life should one stop attempting to see all human relationships and behaviour through simplistic lenses such as that provided by MBTI? When should one seek new perspectives?

Last edited:

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
if someone sees MBTI as a lens to view relationship and behavior through, he doesent understand it and right use of it properly. if someone havent understood this after two years of studying it, i think its time to move on from it

gromit

likes this
One should move on from MBTI when it’s no longer useful or interesting, or when it’s impeding ones ability to interact with others or lead a fulfilling life.

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
If someone sees MBTI as a lens to view relationship and behaviour through, he doesn't understand it and right use of it properly. If someone haven't understood this after two years of studying it, I think its time to move on from it

If one hasn't realised that such ideas are merely lenses, then it is arguable that one lacks perspective.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
If one hasn't realised that such ideas are merely lenses, then it is arguable that one lacks perspective.

If one lacks perspective, how would they know to move on?
I think when one measures the theory against reality and sees *enough* incongruence, they will be likely to move on. I would like to see the theory expounded on with way more studies, specifically on intertype relations. =)

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
When MBTI takes over your life to the extent you don't have time to do other things you want or need to do.

G

garbage

When you first encounter it.

*sits back in chair and smirks*

Whenever you figure out that Socionics is superior.

*adjusts glasses and smirks*

No, but seriously, extract whatever truth you find in the framework, keep testing it against actual reality, and keep discarding the stuff that doesn't match up. You'll continually whittle down the generalizations and develop a mental model that represents your understanding of your own biases and of relationship dynamics between people.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx

its a tool(amongst others), not a way you should perceive the reality, because in reality there is ALOT more to personality and human psyche than just MBTI type and functions. viewing humans through such a lens would just distort the reality

rav3n

Moving on from MBTI is much like moving on from any relationship. Once the magic is gone, it's time to go.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
its a tool(amongst others), not a way you should perceive the reality, because in reality there is ALOT more to personality and human psyche than just MBTI type and functions. viewing humans through such a lens would just distort the reality

What is your distinction between a lens and a tool? They seem kind of the same in this case. A lens is a thing to help you see more than before, not to blind yourself to anything prior.

HOW ABOUT TODAY?

BUT I DON'T WANNA :cry:

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I moved on ages ago, it's tiresome.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Moving on from MBTI is much like moving on from any relationship. Once the magic is gone, it's time to go.

My religion forbids this. I will never go. We will just have to get counseling. I can only hope that MBTI will change someday for the sake of the family. :cry:

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Pretty much this. It's just a hobby to me. It's my version of making little boats that fit inside bottles.

Aww. Yeah! Except it's people inside little boxes! :D

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
For me, it controlled my perception for several years and then totally became irrelevant. If my experience were everyone's experience, then you get into it thinking you can learn from it, and then realise that you learn much more when you break down barriers between you and others. There are too many things that set us apart from the people in our lives, and MBTT doesn't have to be another.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
That's an interesting question. I moved away for a year, then came back to visit.

I think I just got bored when I left. Also, I remember that it became more of a hindrance than help. I wasn't really to able to move past the stereotypes MBTI said my type had, no matter how much I wanted to. Coming back to this forum and reading the same thing over and over again held me back, so I left.

That said, made some great friends here.

Edit: Why I came back? Don't know. I don't expect to learn anything more (im almost sure im wrong about that)