User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Sleep Paralysis

Default Sleep Paralysis

One thing that could be even scarier than a nightmare is the sleep paralysis itself. Depending on what chemicals are active at the time your body is still around REM sleep while on sleep paralysis, it could be the most horrifying (the word doesn't go far enough,) annoying, or just plain strange. During the phrase, your brain sends chemicals to your body to prevent you from doing something stupid while you are asleep (like hitting yourself or grabbing something) thereby paralyzing you. When you wake up, another chemical sets in/another part of your brains becomes active, and that chemical can be described as part of your sleep paralysis.

In my case, I only had it once that I can think of. It was to the point that my fear reached a new high. It was to the point that I felt like I might actually get hurt or be killed. Objects (clothes and shadows) in my room started turning into horrifying images. Ghastly images like the tales of aggressive ghosts haunting a home to hurt people who intrude. Instead of not being able to see them, they were there, and they were ready to get me. I can't fully describe it but menacing, terror, ghastly, and probably a whole multitude of adjectives and adverbs could be used to describe what had happened. It was just terror like there was never before. In a scale of 1-10, it would be 10 or higher. It was threatening. At the same time, I could not move, I could not talk(no yelling or screaming.) The only thing that actually moved was my eyes. It was at that time, I told myself that these images weren't real. I shut my eyes hoping that these images would disappear by the time I open my eyes again.

Has anyone actually have gone through the scenario of sleep paralysis or more than just one episode?

[YOUTUBE="xCSqT5nZ9n4"]Sleep Paralysis[/YOUTUBE]
    Wiki -Sleep Paralysis

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I've had it happen to me a few times when I was just waking up from a dream. I knew that I was waking up and eventually the paralysis would pass but I still found it scary.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

edit - i've watched the video now, they seem to think that everything you sense while in sleep paralysis is dreamt. it's definitely not. i am 100% sure that i have sensed actual occurrences while paralyzed.

yes, i've had it multiple times. probably around 10-15 that i can remember, though i imagine also more times that i don't remember. it usually happens when i am so tired that i fall asleep in a weird way - like i fall "too fast", if that makes sense. my consciousness is still awake but i am not. and then it's occasionally happened in the middle of the night.

and it's terrifying. really a complete bitch.

the way i experience it, is that i am conscious, but i cannot move at all. i am in a sort of completely dark, empty void. i do not have any sensation of movement, nor of anything impacting my body. no alien encounters. it's just me and my brain, and sometimes a very tenuous connection to the outside world. my eyes cannot open, my limbs will not move. i can hear but i cannot see. i do not have any memory of particular touch sensations, but i do remember once being able to smell my mom's cooking.

at first, i was terrified that i would die. that i would just stop breathing, and no one would know. i am still very scared that i could get stuck there. the first few times, i tried "tearing" my way out of it. yelling and screaming in my head. trying to force my body to move. the worst is when you can hear or smell things happening outside of you, but you can't respond at all. once my mom was asking me things, and i couldn't respond. i wanted to. she ended up being like, "aw, you're really asleep", and left. inside i was screaming NO I'M NOT, SHAKE ME OR SOMETHING, COME BACK

i have not had it very recently, thank god. i've taken to being as calm as possible and just focusing on my breath while trying to move my fingers and toes, which usually seems to work after a while. i always know where i am, and now i still panic a little, but i have a fairly good grasp of what's going on. the hard part is just waiting... waiting to wake up. being afraid with every additional moment that i am going to be trapped there forever. i have not tried swallowing, i will try to remember that next time. it's close enough to involuntary that it might actually work.

i have no idea how long it actually lasts, though. there is no sense of time in the void.

skylights: Ohhh god, I just hope you don't experience being able to see everything, but start hallucinating that everything around you turns into something menacing. For me, I could see everything and breathe (at a fast pace,) but I can't hear and can't move. I still get goosebumps just thinking about what just happened. I mean, my next scary nightmare does not even compared to what happened. I think, if it ever does happen again, I might end up calming down and closing my eye once more so that it passes by. But then again, I hope it does not happen.

I don't know how long the time went by, but I calmed myself back to sleep because I finally found that everything that I was trying to do was useless. And whatever I can't see, I can let it go by.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

It happens to me more than I care to admit.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    once my mom was asking me things, and i couldn't respond. i wanted to. she ended up being like, "aw, you're really asleep", and left. inside i was screaming NO I'M NOT, SHAKE ME OR SOMETHING, COME BACK
    Wow... that sounds scary. D:

I think it's only happened to me once. I became aware that I was dreaming and wanted to get out. The dream stopped but I couldn't move. I tried so hard to open my eyes, but they felt as if they were cemented shut. My arms were at my sides and I tried with all of my might to move them. After a few moments of straining, I was able to move one of my arms just a little bit, then I was able to swing it across my body. I turned around, sat up quickly, and opened my eyes.

No hallucinations, though.

The good thing about sleep paralysis is that you eventually come out of it. With something like locked-in syndrome, you can stay that way forever.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I have it on a near-daily basis, and have hallucinated shadows of people and full conversations. On one occasion, it slipped into a full hallucination in which my consciousness was floating away from my body and I could see my body lying there (with the tremors and the feeling of terror still intact.)

It's annoying because it takes a tremendous exertion of will to force myself awake when it's happening, and once I am finally awake, I have to go get a drink, splash water on my face, and then run in place or stretch in order to make sure I don't immediately slip back into it as soon as I try to sleep again.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

happened to me once in really nasty way(never heard of sleep paralysis at the time) and not really sure if the other time was me falling asleep, then waking up and being in sleep paralysis or just a really weird and realistic feeling dream.

first time i woke up in the middle of night, while still sleeping i had a feeling that there was someone outside my bedroom(door was open), i woke up and was going to sit up and looked at the door. while i was half way sitting up i got paralyzed and saw this old guy at my bedroom door staring at me, it looked like some demon or satan in old mans body. i couldnt do anything but stare him into eyes, i dunno if i could have blinked my eyes, was too scared to even try. i was totally panicking, my mind was going like WTF is this and i would have shat my pants if i were able to do that, i started thinking stuff like if i have gone insane(as i dont believe in supernatural), but thought that if i were going insane i wouldnt be thinking if i went insane, finally i came to conclusion that it is most likely some kind of demon, i thought about possibility of it taking my soul, me going to hell and stuff like that, finally i just gave up and thought that if i die now then it will happen and theres nothing i can do about it. its a really terrifying feeling to give up on life and accept your death. and i was looking deep into that guys eyes this whole time that felt like 40sec-1min. it felt like it had the control on me and thats why i couldnt move. well after accepting my death, it faded away and turned to a jacket thats hanging near the door in my bedroom. paralysis went away, couldnt go back to sleep(it was like 4am) and was really shaky rest of the night. it was maybe like week or two later when i found out about sleep paralysis.

other time happened like 3 weeks ago. it wasnt scary at all, i just fell asleep, woke up still half asleep and felt like im floating over my bed, going up and down from like feet over my bed to near the roof, couldnt move, but it was kinda cool, so i wouldnt even wanted to move and possibly ruin it. i knew that it was some sort of sleep paralysis thing or something while it was happening, so i just enjoyed the ride

when my mate was in army, there was this guy who had this happen like every morning, but he didnt have any hallucinations, just the paralysis. when they noticed this happening to him they woke him up from it by touching him and he got off that at the exact same moment as someone touched him.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INTP

I really, really wish I could experience this, even once.

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    I really, really wish I could experience this, even once.
    *discretely slides you a hit of DMT*
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~