User Tag List

First 234

Thread: Sleep Paralysis

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    How do you know it won't happen tomorrow, though?
    You know only you've stopped experiencing it in your past.

(Not trying to be a smartass, it's a logical thing I wonder about... you just don't know. Sort of why people who have had one seizure, even if put immediatetly on meds, typically lose their driving privileges for a year or more in my state.)
    I dont really think you do.... now that I think about it. I recall "waking up" from my dreams, still not being able to move or talk, being fully aware, yet seeing all sorts of things moving/floating about, talking, even trying to get me to talk back. The only way to not freak out is to be aware of whats happening, and accept sleep paralysis for what it is- an experience. I NEVER freak about anymore, only the first few seconds, until I realize " oh, this isn't real, I'm still dreaming, yet I'm awake... time to ride out the storm". I just lay there till I drift off again....
    So, that said, although I don't experience it BEFORE I sleep anymore, I still do from time to time half-way through sleeping. And I don't believe you can just " kick it's ass"... I notice it happens to me when I am most exhausted. My body requires it so badly, it falls asleep before my mind has fully drifted off into Oz... I guess the best way to combat Sleep Paralysis is to sleep on schedule, and not over-exhaust your system.

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    How do you know it won't happen tomorrow, though?
    You know only you've stopped experiencing it in your past.

(Not trying to be a smartass, it's a logical thing I wonder about... you just don't know. Sort of why people who have had one seizure, even if put immediatetly on meds, typically lose their driving privileges for a year or more in my state.)
    It never happened again (past tense), but I can't say it will never happen again. It's been at least 10-years since I've experienced it. I buy the scientific explanations for the cause.

Real or imagined, I saw the boogie man and this wasn't Boogie Nights. I was really frightened. I was also skeptisch I was dreaming after it happened a second time. Third time was game on!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    It never happened again (past tense), but I can't say it will never happen again. It's been at least 10-years since I've experienced it. I buy the scientific explanations for the cause.

Real or imagined, I saw the boogie man and this wasn't Boogie Nights. I was really frightened. I was also skeptisch I was dreaming after it happened a second time. Third time was game on!!
    Think of all the things you can do by lucid dreaming. . I would of been badass also.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    One thing that could be even scarier than a nightmare is the sleep paralysis itself. Depending on what chemicals are active at the time your body is still around REM sleep while on sleep paralysis, it could be the most horrifying (the word doesn't go far enough,) annoying, or just plain strange. During the phrase, your brain sends chemicals to your body to prevent you from doing something stupid while you are asleep (like hitting yourself or grabbing something) thereby paralyzing you. When you wake up, another chemical sets in/another part of your brains becomes active, and that chemical can be described as part of your sleep paralysis.

In my case, I only had it once that I can think of. It was to the point that my fear reached a new high. It was to the point that I felt like I might actually get hurt or be killed. Objects (clothes and shadows) in my room started turning into horrifying images. Ghastly images like the tales of aggressive ghosts haunting a home to hurt people who intrude. Instead of not being able to see them, they were there, and they were ready to get me. I can't fully describe it but menacing, terror, ghastly, and probably a whole multitude of adjectives and adverbs could be used to describe what had happened. It was just terror like there was never before. In a scale of 1-10, it would be 10 or higher. It was threatening. At the same time, I could not move, I could not talk(no yelling or screaming.) The only thing that actually moved was my eyes. It was at that time, I told myself that these images weren't real. I shut my eyes hoping that these images would disappear by the time I open my eyes again.

Has anyone actually have gone through the scenario of sleep paralysis or more than just one episode?
    I've briefly had sleep paralysis. I didn't even know it had a name until now.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

I hate sleep paralysis. I experience it pretty regularly and I really find it awful. I can usually slip into lucid dreaming, but it's usually only after horrifying things and hallucinations happen.

One time I was watching myself sleep. Like, standing over the bed watching myself. I also always see a dark figure with a knife right beside my bed, which I assume is just me since I can see myself sleeping. It's all weird and terrifying.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

MBTI
    TiNi
    Enneagram
    5 sp/so

I experience sleep paralysis sometimes if my alarm clock goes off while I'm dreaming... the repeating tune drives me insane but I can't wake up/get up to turn it off.

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

I've heard sleep paralysis is a precursor to out of body experiences (Albert Taylor wrote a book about it.). I've experienced it twice; both times, I was unable to sleep (probably due to drinking too much tea at night). The sleep paralysis was accompanied by a vibrational type of sound which was unsettling but not terrifying since I was expecting it; I did not experience any visual effects.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp
    Socionics
    INFj Ne

I have it very often, it seems to come almost exclusively in the mornings. It's quite annoying when I just want to sleep in peace.