User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Sleep Paralysis

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Eek. Are any of you concerned that you might find the blanket or pillow on top of your mouth and nose, and instead of waking up and moving it, you would be stuck, and die a terrifying death? <shudder>
    I assume you'd wake up fully if you couldn't breathe, just as you would if you were normal REM sleep. After all, the paralysis is a normal part of the sleep cycle. It's just that it's only supposed to happen while you're unconscious.

Quote Originally Posted by blankpages View Post
    I assume you'd wake up fully if you couldn't breathe, just as you would if you were normal REM sleep. After all, the paralysis is a normal part of the sleep cycle. It's just that it's only supposed to happen while you're unconscious.
    I've been reading that some people do end up dying because of paralysis, especially if it involves the feeling of being unable to breathe well/being choked.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

^Where did you read that?? I thought I'd heard it all.

My first thought is there has to be something else going on there along with the sleep paralysis. Sleep apnea maybe? Because of the connection to disturbances in the sleep cycle, I imagine the paralysis sometimes results from another sleep disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by blankpages View Post
    ^Where did you read that?? I thought I'd heard it all.

My first thought is there has to be something else going on there along with the sleep paralysis. Sleep apnea maybe? Because of the connection to disturbances in the sleep cycle, I imagine the paralysis sometimes results from another sleep disorder.
    http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/exchange/node/1740
    Understanding more neural concepts of Sleep Paralysis, some researchers now hypothesize that a very rare condition called Sudden Unexplained Nocturnal Death Syndrome (SUNDS) may closely relate to Sleep Paralysis (1). Upon the death, a SUNDS victim produces no body movement even though he experiences a myocardial infarction and strong breathing difficulties and should straggle in agony (5). The death may be caused by the extreme muscle atonia during Sleep Paralysis, which is so severe that even the cardiac muscles and the diaghragm paralyze (5).
    Then again, it is just a hypothesis. I would think some cases could potentially be severe that extreme difficulty to the point of gasping for air becomes a very real thing.

To bad the links leading to those pages don't work... I would like to read more into it. It could be inter-related with sleep apnea though.

your resident asshole

Regarding this quote in your link:

Understanding more neural concepts of Sleep Paralysis, some researchers now hypothesize that a very rare condition called Sudden Unexplained Nocturnal Death Syndrome (SUNDS) may closely relate to Sleep Paralysis (1). Upon the death, a SUNDS victim produces no body movement even though he experiences a myocardial infarction and strong breathing difficulties and should straggle in agony (5). The death may be caused by the extreme muscle atonia during Sleep Paralysis, which is so severe that even the cardiac muscles and the diaghragm paralyze (5).
    I'd just like to point out that it's not uncommon for people to not feel pain during a heart attack. Also, because you can lose consciousness during an episode, it definitely makes sense why you wouldn't wake up if you had a heart attack during your sleep. I find things like these to make much more sense than sleep paralysis being a cause of someone not moving during a heart attack.

I agree with blankpages. You'd likely "snap out" of sleep paralysis if something was obstructing your breathing, just as you would awake from a normal sleep.

it happened to me once, i remember i couldn't move,
    but the most memorable thing was how loud everything
    was, i could hear the train moving closer and closer.
    i think i freaked out because i thought the train would
    just bust through and run me over and i wouldn't be able
    to get away. couldn't cry out for help. or do anything.
    just trapped.

in thailand we have a phrase for it, roughly translates to
    "ghosts playing tricks"
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

A window to the soul

It only happened to me three times. I'm proud to say that I kicked ET in the nuts and WHALA I was free!! Never happened again.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Takeru View Post
    http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/exchange/node/1740

Then again, it is just a hypothesis. I would think some cases could potentially be severe that extreme difficulty to the point of gasping for air becomes a very real thing.

To bad the links leading to those pages don't work... I would like to read more into it. It could be inter-related with sleep apnea though.
    Interesting. I did find this wiki page on SUNDS which says underlying medical conditions have been identified in these people. Most common culprit is Brugada syndrome, a heart rhythm disorder.

Victims of this might well experience sleep paralysis and hallucinations during their nighttime heart attacks, but that doesn't mean this was the cause of death. As your link explains, sleep paralysis happens when normal neurological events of the sleep cycle become out-of-sync. Paralysis of the respiratory muscles and cardiac arrest are obviously not normal parts of the sleep cycle.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    meh

It used to happen to me all the time about 15 years ago or so. Usually I also perceive that there is someone in the room but I can't move or cry out. It's pretty terrifying.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    It only happened to me three times. I'm proud to say that I kicked ET in the nuts and WHALA I was free!! Never happened again.
    How do you know it won't happen tomorrow, though?
    You know only you've stopped experiencing it in your past.

(Not trying to be a smartass, it's a logical thing I wonder about... you just don't know. Sort of why people who have had one seizure, even if put immediatetly on meds, typically lose their driving privileges for a year or more in my state.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft