User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Sleep Paralysis

figsfiggyfigs

I think I've commented in regards to this subject before...

When I was younger I had it happen so often, it was almost nightly. At one point I just learned to let it "run its course".... It can get pretty horrible... Screaming, laughing, all sorts of shiz.

It has stopped for a while now....

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INT-

I experience it several times a month, but I knew all about it (through research on sleep and lucid dreaming) before it had happened to me for the first time, so it never really alarmed me at all.
    I usually just fall into sleep, if it happens in the middle of the night.
    If it happens in the morning, it only take about fifteen seconds or so to snap out of it.
    INTP 4w5 SX/SP
    Tritype 4/5/8

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    *discretely slides you a hit of DMT*
    This stuff gets a lot of celebrity endorsements, and I've seen that it's quite easy to make. I suppose I don't have much of a choice. Dreams are lackluster lately.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

The hallucinations and other strange experiences people can experience in the state in between sleep and wakefulness are called hypnagogic (when falling asleep) or hypnopompic (while waking from sleep) experiences. I've had them at times. I started getting them around ten years ago, when I was experiencing a lot of anxiety during the day. They come much more rarely now. They seem to be triggered by sleep deprivation, or changes in my sleep schedule. It was scary when it started happening and I didn't know what the hell was going on with me. I'm not so freaked out now that I know what it is. I just think, "Oh, it's this shit again" and wait for it to be over. I read that you can sometimes break out of it by moving a small muscle, like a finger or something, and it seems to work when I remember to do it.

There's an academic website about these experiences here:

Sleep Paralysis and Associated Experiences

If you look at their Sleep Experiences Scale, you can see examples of commonly reported experiences. I haven't had visual or auditory hallucinations but I've had most of the tactile ones described (sensations of floating, moving up and down, numbness, vibrating, tingling, falling, spinning). I've also had the "false awakenings", the sense of intense dread, and the "out of body" experiences described.

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    This stuff gets a lot of celebrity endorsements, and I've seen that it's quite easy to make. I suppose I don't have much of a choice. Dreams are lackluster lately.
    Sure, if you are willing to feel terror like you have never before and experience what I experienced . Not sure why you would be willing to experience what I experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    edit - i've watched the video now, they seem to think that everything you sense while in sleep paralysis is dreamt. it's definitely not. i am 100% sure that i have sensed actual occurrences while paralyzed.
    In some ways, it was a dream, but it was also not a dream. The terror I felt was completely real, but the hallucinations I got, at some point, I knew that they weren't "real"(after all, the image that created it was my jacket and baseball cap) as I knew that the real images was not "that thing that was so threatening."

violaine

Fascinating. Thanks for posting the clip, Takeru. I've never experienced anything like this. This seems truly terrifying in certain instances. Makes me wonder about a book I read once about alien abduction. (Communion, by Whitley Strieber.) The author's experiences sound as though they could have most definitely been a result of sleep paralysis.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

oh sidenote - yeah i don't mean that everything i sense is real, just that some things are real

Quote Originally Posted by Takeru View Post
    skylights: Ohhh god, I just hope you don't experience being able to see everything, but start hallucinating that everything around you turns into something menacing. For me, I could see everything and breathe (at a fast pace,) but I can't hear and can't move. I still get goosebumps just thinking about what just happened. I mean, my next scary nightmare does not even compared to what happened. I think, if it ever does happen again, I might end up calming down and closing my eye once more so that it passes by. But then again, I hope it does not happen.

I don't know how long the time went by, but I calmed myself back to sleep because I finally found that everything that I was trying to do was useless. And whatever I can't see, I can let it go by.
    ughh, that sounds terrifying too.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    I have it on a near-daily basis, and have hallucinated shadows of people and full conversations. On one occasion, it slipped into a full hallucination in which my consciousness was floating away from my body and I could see my body lying there (with the tremors and the feeling of terror still intact.)

It's annoying because it takes a tremendous exertion of will to force myself awake when it's happening, and once I am finally awake, I have to go get a drink, splash water on my face, and then run in place or stretch in order to make sure I don't immediately slip back into it as soon as I try to sleep again.
    yeah, definitely. i hate when you feel yourself falling asleep and you're like, oh, shit, this again lol

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by violaine View Post
    Fascinating. Thanks for posting the clip, Takeru. I've never experienced anything like this. This seems truly terrifying in certain instances. Makes me wonder about a book I read once about alien abduction. (Communion, by Whitley Strieber.) The author's experiences sound as though they could have most definitely been a result of sleep paralysis.
    Yeah, a number of neuropsychologists and sleep disorder experts believe it's the cause of reported encounters of aliens or spirit guides, or out of body experiences that can occur in that state. I haven't encountered aliens or anything, but from what I've experienced in that state, it does feel different from dreaming when you're fully asleep. It doesn't exactly feel dreamlike, it feels clearer than that. I can see why people would be convinced their experiences are real.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by blankpages View Post
    Yeah, a number of neuropsychologists and sleep disorder experts believe it's the cause of reported encounters of aliens or spirit guides, or out of body experiences that can occur in that state.
    Yes, and the succubus/incubus experiences as well.

Kinda jealous in that I'm someone who likes to experience things in order to understand them, but my experiences are not nearly as extensive as some of yours here.

I have had sleep paralysis a number of times in my life (as described by others in this thread -- I'm awake but can't move, blink, whatever, no matter how I struggle), but none of the hallucinations, really.

Hallucinations would be frightening if you didn't know they were hallucinations.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Eek. Are any of you concerned that you might find the blanket or pillow on top of your mouth and nose, and instead of waking up and moving it, you would be stuck, and die a terrifying death? <shudder>

I've never experienced this. Apparently Sheryl Crow gets it all the time.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis