User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Default Are people as rude and rotten on forums, IRL?

Yep, just what the question asks.

I love this forum. There are alot of good discussions that take place, and I really enjoy seeing so many different ideas and different people. I am here to learn, it's that simple. Socializing is nice, but I reserve most of my light-hearted socializing for my real life relations, and come here for a deeper discussion and understanding. In the hustle and bustle of real life, it can be hard to find the time for the amount of deep discussion that a forum like this holds.

With that said, I am astonished at some of the personal attacks that seem to take place when ideas are challenged. I know that this is somewhat typical for forums, but I had made an assumption that the kinds of people that would follow jung, mbti, philosophy, psychology, and the human condition, would have a most basic understanding of healthy and unhealthy human interaction. Biting remarks, personal attacks, and in some threads, flat out verbal abuse.. is just mind boggling to me. If you think someone is an idiot, their ideas flawed, is it not more productive to dig deeply at the idea at hand or refrain from comment? Yet every day, I observe different memebers that in one thread *seem* to be very insightful turn around and lash out at someone in another thread. It's immature, unproductive, and unbecoming at best. Anyone thats studied psychology should understand that you must provide a safe, nonjudgemental haven for others to reveal the depths of their psyche.

I am not advocating that ideas or even behaviors should not be challenged, quite the contrary. But there is (imo) an approach that lifts, guides, discovers, clarifies, and opens people up to further understanding, and an approach that shuts people down. When I see people shutting others down (regardless of how idiotic, annoying, or wrong that other might be) it pisses me off. I believe its a dis service to this site, and humans in general.

With that said, I am curious if this rude, rotten, "shutting one down" behavior is exaggerated online simply because we can hide behind a monitor, an avatar, a username, and log-off and away from any real consequence to our words.

Do you think people are as rude in RL as they are on forums?
    Last edited by Santosha; 04-04-2011 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Edit: In considerance of moral policing, what are the benefits of personal attacks, and "shutting one down?"
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

I once got accused of "supporting pedophiles." Why? I disagreed with someone's argument. Logical, right?

RDF

Popular culture tells us we should be "outraged" when we see certain opinions (esp. political views) expressed. Popular culture also tells us that only certain people can have opinions on certain things (gender politics, ethnic politics) and that all others should be shouted down as not knowing what they are talking about. And so on.

The forums are a microcosm of the world at large. If a subject is touchy in the outside world, then it's going to be touchy on the forums. So posters who want to avoid excessive outrage and shouting tend to avoid certain specific forums and subjects. Do that, and you can enjoy a relatively conflict-free experience here.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    I once got accused of "supporting pedophiles." Why? I disagreed with someone's argument. Logical, right?
    I've never been accused of that, but I have been called histronic and borderline.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    FREE

If your question is asking if people are as rude irl as they are on forums, most assuredly not.

... this rude, rotten, "shutting one down" behavior is exaggerated online simply because we can hide behind a monitor, an avatar, a username, and log-off and away from any real consequence to our words.
    This. Also, sympathy and empathy take a nosedive when you cannot see someone face to face. Facial expressions do wonders for facilitating kindness and harmony.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Nah, we're all just generally insightful yet rude and rotten people. In real life, I get into all these controversial conversations and I find myself making similar faces like and and then sometimes I get really fired up and forget all my social graces... and then I think, "man, this is just like the forum."

My workplace. My home. We just break out in superiority fights left and right.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Just reading the title of this thread, no. There aren't even 1/3 as many consequences to acting out on the internet and on forums as there are in real life. Social interactions online vs. in real life are much different. You'll see a lot more acting out online.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

IRL I'm principally known to be sweet and nice and tolerant, I tend to be open to other people's ideas, and usually I just ignore people or pretend to agree with them even if I think they're annoying or stupid.

Oh, but I really hate free-market capitalists, and it's A VERY REAL THING. It hurts people. I fucking hate it. I have no tolerance or respect for it. Those "ideas" take a shape that actually affects other human beings. I also give people the finger when they try to run over pedestrians at cross walks. I don't put up with any shit. Ask my mother.

Your "morality policing" appears to be telling people how they should talk to each other (and I'm not so sure I agree with you). My "morality policing" involves telling assholes where to get off. Welcome to being an NF.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    Do you think people are as rude in RL as they are on forums?
    9 out of 10 times the answer is no. The anonymity of the internet allows users to both embrace different aspects of their existing personality, or create an entirely new one, without ever having to face real repercussions for their actions. This allows to respond in ways that, for whatever reason, they couldn't do so in real life, and thus forums become an outlet for those neglected areas. The emotionally immature are much more likely to exploit this than more well-rounded individuals.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Your "morality policing" appears to be telling people how they should talk to each other (and I'm not so sure I agree with you).
    Yeah, that pretty much sums up the thread (and my feelings about it.)
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness