Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    Unknown. Depends on the individual. With the anonymity comes the freedom to say w.e you want, with very little consequence.

Personally, I'm not myself on the forum/vent. Completely different in real life. I don't know what it is about the internet that makes me so loud/obnoxious. I'm actually rather "serious" irl in comparison to YWIR, I lack patience to be so "playful"...

I think most people come online to troll, and just have fun, and be someone "different", since it has no real consequence.

This is why I don't really understand why some people take the forum so seriously, and sometimes, even personally.
    Good points. Funnily enough i think i come accross as far more serious on here than irl. I can be incredibly serious irl but i'm very playful and have boundless energy, i love the rap and banter of rl conversations which i think is pretty difficult to do in a forum. I havn't tried out vent yet.... i don't know anything about it, i feel a bit intimadated if i am really honest.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    And yet people are actually "typing" forum members, while completely ignoring that.
    The futility to that is relative to how much the other person is how much truth leaks through the facade. With the internet, you have the ability to directly manipulate the perception you give off, and thus what others see is only based on what you've carefully selected.

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    Do most people reveal their thoughts or feelings when they risk a harsh, negative responce? Some probably do. I'd venture to say that most people do not. On a psychology focused forum, I think this is a loss. It is a loss of all information that may have developed if said person had not been shut down.
    No. I think since you aren't given the actual privilege of actually seeing a physical reaction through what is said, most things are done pretty impersonally. Being reduced to nothing more than a small picture is dehumanization, and thus allows us to act outside of our own personal code of ethics with little credence given to the fact that we are dealing with real people.

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

*calmly awaits someone to post the Internet Fuckwad image macro*

As for me...who I am on these forums is not quite the person in real life. In real life I'm generally *MUCH* more stoical and reserved as that's how men* generally are expected to be. On these forums though I wear a lot of my heart on my sleeve in my posts, which is also why I'm very picky about where and what I comment on as I know, personally, that I don't have the time or the desire to get really involved with a topic.

*Note: By "men" I mean men in the traditional sense. While I do in fact do my own thing, by and large I try to keep any behavior and/or expressions of emotions within social norms.
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

anon delivers

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I've never been accused of that, but I have been called histronic and borderline.
    Your point is?

Phantonym

Anyone thats studied psychology should understand that you must provide a safe, nonjudgemental haven for others to reveal the depths of their psyche.
    You've just discovered that other part, the nasty one, of their deep psyche. Tada, it exists, in every single one of us.

Do you think people are as rude in RL as they are on forums?
    Maybe about the same, maybe a bit better, maybe a lot worse, but they might hide it better in "real life". It also depends on the person and the circumstances and whatever. People might surprise you either way.

With that said, I am curious if this rude, rotten, "shutting one down" behavior is exaggerated online simply because we can hide behind a monitor, an avatar, a username, and log-off and away from any real consequence to our words.

Do you think people are as rude in RL as they are on forums?
    Sometimes, but rarely. I believe this depersonalization is more likely to occur in some types than others and in some age groups or cultures than others, but we're all at risk for it. I'm pretty sure this lack of visual empathy has been linked to the phenomenon of road rage as well.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Phantonym View Post
    You've just discovered that other part, the nasty one, of their deep psyche. Tada, it exists, in every single one of us
    I think your right. Its still baffles, like psuedo ethics or something. Right now I wish I could find a clip of two shrinks beating the shit out of eachother for disagreeance on anger-management technique.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Within View Post
    Your point is?
    my point is that people get frustrated online and accuse of you of shit without really knowing you. and everything posted on a forum should be taken with a block of salt
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

I think the worst examples of the sort of behaviour described in the OP probably arent contained to online mediums, people who're like that probably dont have the internal kill switches most people do which stop them behaving that way, it probably is exhibited much more online because in person, apart from professionals or business, people simply dont have to deal with it they can walk away.

Online everyone imagines they have an audience, a gallery of willing listeners and possibly supporters, in real life it becomes pretty apparent quickly that you dont.

Plus online I think people are likely to believe they are engaged in something a lot less mundane than real life, so instead of discussing something with someone who may have a different opinion you're striking a blow for justice against the wrongdoing agents of evil bigotry, with cheering supporters and sympathisers looking on. Its fantasy but it appeals more than reality.