First 1234 Last

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Yeah, that pretty much sums up the thread (and my feelings about it.)
    What are the benefits of personal attacks and "shutting one down?"
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

Insert Snarky Quip Here Stigmata's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    It's not about benefits, it's about ability, and the internet granting you the ability to choose with no repercussion. There's nothing to be gained whether you're polite or tactless in your approach, thus people choose the latter because they're forced to deal with the former in their daily lives.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

I certainly hope people don't put words in each others' mouths and replace logical argument with ad homenem as much as goes on on this forum. it's quite digusting really
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    The anonymity of the internet allows users to both embrace different aspects of their existing personality, or create an entirely new one . . .
    And yet people are actually "typing" forum members, while completely ignoring that.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    I think a lot of times people "get to know each other" on the forum and things become personal, people make scathing remarks to one another, not unlike an early 20th century British novel.

And when people start "shutting" me "down" first, it's on. I'm attempting to walk away more and more, but only because I don't want to get in trouble or waste my energy on something pointless, not because I care so much about douchebags who attack me for their own amusement, or because they think they're superior for some strange reason.

A lot of people don't want to be called out on their loathesome behavior, even if what they're saying is nauseatingly cruel or obnoxious, and they'll whine about there being no such thing as right or wrong. I'm going to have to disagree with that. Wrong does exist. Some people need to be stopped. That's that.

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    It's not about benefits, it's about ability, and the internet granting you the ability to choose with no repercussion. There's nothing to be gained whether you're polite or tactless in your approach, thus people choose the latter because they're forced to deal with the former in their daily lives.
    Do most people reveal their thoughts or feelings when they risk a harsh, negative responce? Some probably do. I'd venture to say that most people do not. On a psychology focused forum, I think this is a loss. It is a loss of all information that may have developed if said person had not been shut down.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I've never been accused of that, but I have been called histronic and borderline.
    I was called homophobic and implied to be a misogynist.

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I think it pretty much mirrors society in all but one main factor which is physical. (physical intimidation, physical prowess, physical attraction) etc etc. So it basically boils down to transfering those additional physical attributes to verbal/text ones.
    I imagine this makes it much harder for some to argue and very much easier for others. Of course it is tremendously more complex than this, it's just a small part of it.
    Appologies if this has already been mentioned.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

figsfiggyfigs

Unknown. Depends on the individual. With the anonymity comes the freedom to say w.e you want, with very little consequence.

Personally, I'm not myself on the forum/vent. Completely different in real life. I don't know what it is about the internet that makes me so loud/obnoxious. I'm actually rather "serious" irl in comparison to YWIR, I lack patience to be so "playful"...

I think most people come online to troll, and just have fun, and be someone "different", since it has no real consequence.

This is why I don't really understand why some people take the forum so seriously, and sometimes, even personally.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    I was called homophobic and implied to be a misogynist.

I don't see much of a difference between how I act on here and how I act IRL. Though I am sure there are people who feel braver with confrontation online than they do irl.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge