MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Default Narcissism, a GOOD trait

article from psychologytoday.com
    Narcissistic Personality Disorder involves arrogant behavior, a lack of empathy for other people, and a need for admiration-all of which must be consistently evident at work and in relationships. People who are narcissistic are frequently described as cocky, self-centered, manipulative, and demanding. Narcissists may concentrate on unlikely personal outcomes (e.g., fame) and may be convinced that they deserve special treatment. Related Personality Disorders: Antisocial, Borderline, Histrionic. Narcissism is a less extreme version of Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Narcissism involves cockiness, manipulativeness, selfishness, power motives, and vanity-a love of mirrors. Related personality traits include: Psychopathy, Machiavellianism.

Narcissists tend to have high self-esteem. However, narcissism is not the same thing as self-esteem; people who have high self-esteem are often humble, whereas narcissists rarely are. It was once thought that narcissists have high self-esteem on the surface, but deep down they are insecure. However, the latest evidence indicates that narcissists are actually secure or grandiose at both levels. Onlookers may infer that insecurity is there because narcissists tend to be defensive when their self-esteem is threatened (e.g., being ridiculed); narcissists can be aggressive. The sometimes dangerous lifestyle may more generally reflect sensation-seeking or impulsivity (e.g., risky sex, bold financial decisions).
    I would argue that mild to moderate narcissism is a very good thing at that some level of it is necessary for success
    1) high self esteem and secure self image
    2) love of self
    3) high ego ie, desiring status, glamour, comfort, luxury and money
    4) ambition
    5) self first, others second = less hastle taking care of your own needs
    6) high confidence in self and abilities

pursueing a career in entrepreneurship or performance would be almost impossible without at least a low level of narcissism. I mean, those with altruistic lifestyles, low self esteem, low ego or low self confidence usually don't get a whole lot done.
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post

I would argue that mild to moderate narcissism is a very good thing at that some level of it is necessary for success
    2) love of self
    4) ambition

pursueing a career in entrepreneurship or performance would be almost impossible without at least a low level of narcissism. I mean, those with altruistic lifestyles, low self esteem, low ego or low self confidence usually don't get a whole lot done.
    The first part is true, but I highly doubt the second part; Actually, I would spell it this way: Narcissism is usually good for your personal career, but also usually bad for literally everyone around you because you do everything you can at their expense.

Also, "mild to moderate narcissism" isn't really a good term; The point about narcissism is OVERconfidence in your abilities, contempt of others, love of self to an unhealthy degree etc. Narcissists live in a world of fantasy in which they're awesome and everyone other just sucks. On the other side, simple confidence in your abilities and love yourself but also others etc. is called "healthy self-esteem". And these people have exactly the same good traits without the bad traits narcissists have.
    They say I only think in form of crunching numbers.....
    -Fall Out Boy

Banned

Observing a person with narcissistic personality disorder having a shit fit is probably one of the most entertaining things I've seen. Talk about being unable to take constructive criticism.

NPD-unrelated to other symptoms, is due to be removed as a stand alone mental illness, and will probably not be featured in DSM-V when published.

MBTI
    ENTP

Narcissism is shit. However it will get you laid.

Have you ever met any people like that? or you just read the theoretical description. They're so full of shit. Lying, manipulative, selfish sons of bitches.

Narcissism is superiority complex. Everyone has some form of it.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

well all those traits of narcissistic personality disorder basically comes from being inability to use empathy. because of lack of empathy narcissistic people are unable to care about other peoples feelings(because they cant understand them/relate to them on levels that healthy people can). for example one trait of narcissistic people is that they feel like they are unable to communicate with people who cant speak their academic language, thus seeing them as useless crap who are retarded and seeing themselves superior. ruthlessly take advantage of people since they see other people just tools that they can use to gain personal benefits. since they totally lack empathy, they dont care what happens to those other people, for the narcissistic people they are just idiots since they believed him and because he was able to use them, this also boosts their ego because now they have more confidence on using people. these love of self, high ego and stuff like that originate from that sort of malfunctioning thinking.

those traits like high self-esteem, love of self etc should be obtained using healthy thinking and only then they are positive traits. when someone with narcissistic personality disorder has those traits, they are negative traits since they originate from really unhealthy and disturbed way of thinking. naturally the person who has narcissistic pd is usually happy with himself, but for other people they are maybe worst people to even know somehow.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

2) love of self
    4) ambition

I don't think of narcissism as an equivalent to self esteem, but then again haven't read much on it. I always think that narcissists have really low self esteem and need to constantly pay attention to themselves and need all this extra work and attention to keep themselves happy. Kind of self destructive, where as people with high self esteem don't seem to think about themselves that much at all, because they don't need to. They can be productive with other things.

I agree that a mild amount of narcissism is probably harmless, if not normal.

Edit: Just read the second half of the article. Very, very interesting that they found narcissists to be secure as well as narcissistic. I wonder how they measured that one. Actually, after reading that, (and INTP's description) I realize that I most likely knew one or two of them. It is all making sense. Either way, they've got to be lonely with no one around. It's probably better to develop high self esteem without the added narcissism to go along with it.

Edit #2: I'm thinking that if they studied whether narcissists were secure or not by asking the narcissist a series of questions about whether they were secure, that's not a valid finding... (Of course the narcissist is going to think he's secure. He has an identity to uphold..) Or I dunno, maybe there's a secure/insecure area of the brain that they can PET scan now?
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    yupp

how is being a shit head that loves yourself so much that you destroy other people a good thing? yes you sometimes should put yourself first, but sometimes it's actually to your advantage to put your self second or third. Also narcissists have no real self insight, they don't see their flaws. Yeah there's nothing good about narcissism
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy
    However, narcissism is not the same thing as self-esteem; people who have high self-esteem are often humble, whereas narcissists rarely are.
    Important snippet.

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    I agree that a mild amount of narcissism is probably harmless, if not normal.
    Normal? Yes. Harmless? No.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    how is being a shit head that loves yourself so much that you destroy other people a good thing? yes you sometimes should put yourself first, but sometimes it's actually to your advantage to put your self second or third. Also narcissists have no real self insight, they don't see their flaws. Yeah there's nothing good about narcissism
    ENFPs see good in all people
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read