User Tag List

First 21011121314 Last

Results 111 to 120 of 161

  1. #111
    ThatGirl
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by guesswho View Post

  2. #112
    i love skylights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    7,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    well all those traits of narcissistic personality disorder basically comes from being inability to use empathy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephistopheles View Post
    The first part is true, but I highly doubt the second part; Actually, I would spell it this way: Narcissism is usually good for your personal career, but also usually bad for literally everyone around you because you do everything you can at their expense.

    Also, "mild to moderate narcissism" isn't really a good term; The point about narcissism is OVERconfidence in your abilities, contempt of others, love of self to an unhealthy degree etc. Narcissists live in a world of fantasy in which they're awesome and everyone other just sucks. On the other side, simple confidence in your abilities and love yourself but also others etc. is called "healthy self-esteem". And these people have exactly the same good traits without the bad traits narcissists have.


    narcissus fell in love with himself, but he could never get love back. loving yourself is a good thing, but falling in love with yourself is not. thus self-esteem and narcissism can be distinguished.

  3. #113
    Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    9,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post


    narcissus fell in love with himself, but he could never get love back. loving yourself is a good thing, but falling in love with yourself is not. thus self-esteem and narcissism can be distinguished.
    are you saying that legitimately falling in love with yourself is possible? Interesting, I wouldn't have thought so.
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

  4. #114
    i love skylights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    7,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    are you saying that legitimately falling in love with yourself is possible? Interesting, I wouldn't have thought so.
    well, that's the backstory to the term narcissism. narcissus was a young man who fell in love with his reflection, and eventually died because he wouldn't stop staring at himself in the water. the stories say that a goddess (nemesis, "retribution") noticed that he was proud and unappreciative to the people around him, and drove him to the fatal pool.

    and i think we can fall in love with that - a reflection. an idea of self. not our deepest characteristics, not the flawed imperfect truth, but who we want to see ourselves as. it's more about the concept than an actual being. narcissus essentially sacrificed his own self-development because he couldn't do anything but marvel at himself all day long, but it wasn't even his real self. it was just an image. not recognizing that was his fatal flaw - he was too in love with the image to see the truth. he never actually experienced his whole self, even though that was what he pined away for.

    that's why narcissism is a problem, because it denies the truth that we're all flawed, ugly, imperfect, and ungrateful. loving your self is to accept these flaws and to grow. narcissism is to wither away at the pool of your own reflection. it does no one any favors - not yourself, nor those who have sacrificed for you because they love you.

  5. #115
    Anew Leaf
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    Andrew Carnegie was not altruistic. altruism is putting others first and yourself second. doing lots of things to help others does not make one altruistic. Andrew Carnegie focused on getting himself money and success first before contributing millions of dollars to help others. he also did so without detriment to himself. objectivists can be just as generous as altruist, they just do so after they've taken care of their own needs
    Such irritating self indulgent posts. I must remember that a narcissist's vision is based on movement. :Standsperfectlystilleatingpudding:

  6. #116
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    Andrew Carnegie was not altruistic. altruism is putting others first and yourself second. doing lots of things to help others does not make one altruistic. Andrew Carnegie focused on getting himself money and success first before contributing millions of dollars to help others. he also did so without detriment to himself. objectivists can be just as generous as altruist, they just do so after they've taken care of their own needs
    He limited his own income right off the bat to never take over 50 grand per year for himself, and said, "The amassing of wealth is one of the worse species of idolatry."

    Not only that, but libertarinism is as foolish as communism, because both blatantly ignore human nature. Not every capitalist has the ethics of Andrew Carnegie, or even close to it. That's why libertarianism won't work, but it's a nice fairy tale to believe that every one is intelligent enough and moral enough to make it work.

    Objectivists are idiotic and should never be mentioned in a rational discussion. Even the most staunch libertarians understand that Ayn Rand was kind of a whack job.

  7. #117
    Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    9,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    He limited his own income right off the bat to never take over 50 grand per year for himself, and said, "The amassing of wealth is one of the worse species of idolatry."

    Not only that, but libertarinism is as foolish as communism, because both blatantly ignore human nature. Not every capitalist has the ethics of Andrew Carnegie, or even close to it. That's why libertarianism won't work, but it's a nice fairy tale to believe that every one is intelligent enough and moral enough to make it work.

    Objectivists are idiotic and should never be mentioned in a rational discussion. Even the most staunch libertarians understand that Ayn Rand was kind of a whack job.
    umm... how many libertarians do you know? I know several and they all love Ayn Rand (and for good reason). now, I am not an extreme objectivist, but I am objectivistic about most things
    you've made a good point about andrew carnegie though
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

  8. #118
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    umm... how many libertarians do you know? I know several and they all love Ayn Rand (and for good reason). now, I am not an extreme objectivist, but I am objectivistic about most things
    you've made a good point about andrew carnegie though
    Oh, you must be in college. Or high school. I thought I was a communist in high school. I think young people can get carried away with extremist ideologies before they properly learn and think things through.

    Well, eventually, hopefully, you'll come to understand that objectivism isn't...well, it's not real.

  9. #119
    Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    9,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    Such irritating self indulgent posts. I must remember that a narcissist's vision is based on movement. :Standsperfectlystilleatingpudding:
    could you elaborate? I have trouble seeing how a post that mentions absolutely nothing about myself is self indulgent.
    PS: I won't denying being moderately self indulgent, but I do try not to be more than slightly so outwardly. you see, it's really a lot like masturbating. it's all well and good, but no one wants to see it in public.
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

  10. #120
    Anew Leaf
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Oh, you must be in college. Or high school. I thought I was a communist in high school. I think young people can get carried away with extremist ideologies before they properly learn and think things through.

    Well, eventually, hopefully, you'll come to understand that objectivism isn't...well, it's not real.
    Spot on Marmie. Spot on.

    The bold part made me chortle.

Similar Threads

  1. Heard any good podcasts lately?
    By cafe in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-19-2017, 05:18 PM
  2. [Ti] Endless forgiveness, good trait or bad?
    By purledbanjo in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-10-2011, 06:25 PM
  3. Is introversion really a good trait?
    By Lily flower in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 07-11-2011, 10:35 PM
  4. Why petting may be good...
    By sdalek in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 07-16-2009, 12:19 PM
  5. I don't know it it's a good idea but...
    By sdalek in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 05-22-2009, 07:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO