• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI and Personality Disorders

Pand0ra

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Does anyone here have a diagnosis of a 'personality disorder'?

If so how does this impact on your type? (e.g. are you a 'borderline' type, do you feel your type changes, etc)

Also for those of you who do not have a personality disorder or know much about them Wiki says: 'behavioral patterns in personality disorders are typically associated with severe disturbances in the behavioral tendencies of an individual, usually involving several areas of the personality and are nearly always associated with considerable personal and social disruption'

I'm interested what people might say about this because I have a diagnosis of Borderline Personality Disorder (though personally I reckon my mood is just erratic and that's the label they've chosen to stick on me) and I'm finding typing myself very difficult. I initially thought I was INTJ/INFJ, then INTP/INFP. I've scored as all of these. I'm not sure whether this is because my 'personality disorder' impacts on my values and how I perceive myself, or whether I'm just a borderline type.

It makes sense that, if personality disorders are to be considered as real, that they will effect the typing of individuals who have them. What does everyone think?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
in case you are interested:

diso.jpg

and if you dont know how to read that, numbers with one * mean correlation between two and numbers with ** are clear even more valid correlations. -number is the first letter on scale and without - is the second. for example antisocial correlations are to NTP scales and too little/no correlation to I/E scale

Mole

Permabanned
A Personality Disorder is a mental illness.

And MBTI has no more truth value than astrology.

So the correlations between Personality Disorders and MBTI are fanciful.

Jaguar

You know, even after all this time your post is like a jack-in-the-box that pops its head up with:

It still cracks me up. Lol.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
What I do know is that they are actually going to remove some of the Personality Disorders from the next DSM. Does anyone know which ones?

I wonder which ones those will be, I wonder if they're throwing Schizotypal in with schizophrenia, or what.

A

Anew Leaf

Does anyone here have a diagnosis of a 'personality disorder'?

If so how does this impact on your type? (e.g. are you a 'borderline' type, do you feel your type changes, etc)

Also for those of you who do not have a personality disorder or know much about them Wiki says: 'behavioral patterns in personality disorders are typically associated with severe disturbances in the behavioral tendencies of an individual, usually involving several areas of the personality and are nearly always associated with considerable personal and social disruption'

I'm interested what people might say about this because I have a diagnosis of Borderline Personality Disorder (though personally I reckon my mood is just erratic and that's the label they've chosen to stick on me) and I'm finding typing myself very difficult. I initially thought I was INTJ/INFJ, then INTP/INFP. I've scored as all of these. I'm not sure whether this is because my 'personality disorder' impacts on my values and how I perceive myself, or whether I'm just a borderline type.

It makes sense that, if personality disorders are to be considered as real, that they will effect the typing of individuals who have them. What does everyone think?

I know that problems get classified as a disorder if the negative behavior pattern prevents you from living your day to day life. For instance, I hate flying. The plane shifts slightly and my mind jumps to it crashing and splat. However, I can still white knuckle a plane ride, and I don't avoid them. (I don't go out of my way for them either... hehe.)

BPD is kind of a hefty one for them to throw at you. I am curious as to how this got determined. Did you take the MMPI? Or was it during counseling?

If you are under a lot of stress, that could really be affecting you and your ability to type. I know that when I am super stressed I get very critical and nitpicky, which is the opposite of how I normally roll.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
A Personality Disorder is a mental illness.

So the correlations between Personality Disorders and MBTI are fanciful.

personality disorder isnt a mental illness.

MBTI has more truth value than astrology.

you do know that jung based his typology quite strongly on examining unhealthy and mentally ill people when working in a field of clinical psychiatry? so its pretty much based on seeing the traits that can be wrong in unhealthy people, but are functioning normally in healthy people. this gives pretty good basis for the theory to work also when dealing with unhealthy people. and as that table shows you can find correlations between MBTI and personality disorders
http://www.uccs.edu/~faculty/dsegal...igation-Jungs-types-and-PD-features-JPT-2.pdf

Mole

Permabanned
personality disorder isnt a mental illness.

MBTI has more truth value than astrology.

You keep on contradicting me. This suggests you are looking for a fight. But what would you gain by fighting me?

Mole

Permabanned
you do know that jung based his typology quite strongly on examining unhealthy and mentally ill people when working in a field of clinical psychiatry? so its pretty much based on seeing the traits that can be wrong in unhealthy people, but are functioning normally in healthy people. this gives pretty good basis for the theory to work also when dealing with unhealthy people. and as that table shows you can find correlations between MBTI and personality disorders
http://www.uccs.edu/~faculty/dsegal...igation-Jungs-types-and-PD-features-JPT-2.pdf

MBTI was plagiarised by Mrs Briggs and her daughter Mrs Myers from the book, "Personality Types", written by Carl Jung.

And Carl Jung himself said that his book was based on no empirical evidence.

Pand0ra

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
BPD is kind of a hefty one for them to throw at you. I am curious as to how this got determined. Did you take the MMPI? Or was it during counseling?

If you are under a lot of stress, that could really be affecting you and your ability to type. I know that when I am super stressed I get very critical and nitpicky, which is the opposite of how I normally roll.

It was thrown at me a few years ago by a psychiatrist, I fit the bill. I'm sure lots of people do - it seems all you need is unstable mood, poor sense of self and impulsive behaviour. My best friend has recently been told she has BPD too... I have coping strategies etc for stress so I don't consider this an issue. But my mood is rather extreme at times and each day is different, and my personality seems to vary so much. I am like a completely different person some days and others comment on this too. However in the last year I've started having seizures and various other physical problems that seem to originate from the brain/nervous system so it could be there is more to this 'personality disorder' than meets the eye (currently under investigation).

Anyway, I am having problems typing myself. Some days I am so sure I am INTP but also score as INTJ/INFP/INFJ. Unstable maybe? heh..

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
MBTI was plagiarised by Mrs Briggs and her daughter Mrs Myers from the book, "Personality Types", written by Carl Jung.

And Carl Jung himself said that his book was based on no empirical evidence.

psychological types* ;)

not all psychological research that is considered valid these days were based on empirical research, that doesent mean that it can be automatically pseudosciences. you can do research on its validity later too, but i agree that if something is based on rationalism, it cant be validated easily as a theory based on empirical research. but you know empirical research doesent mean that its automatically true. the thing with any psychological research is that is based on empirical research(and thus need to be validated using statistical measurements) is that none of it can be called true or untrue, researchers talk about(and calculate) chance that the study is false(or actually this is done to every hypothesis in the study separately). like it or not, but MBTI has higher validity than astrology

https://www.cpp.com/pdfs/MBTI_FormM_Supp.pdf

You keep on contradicting me. This suggests you are looking for a fight. But what would you gain by fighting me?

i dont try to fight, im just saying that personality disorders are personality disorders, not mental illnesses

Mole

Permabanned
not all psychological research that is considered valid these days were based on empirical research, that doesent mean that it can be automatically pseudosciences. you can do research on its validity later too, but i agree that if something is based on rationalism, it cant be validated easily as a theory based on empirical research. but you know empirical research doesent mean that its automatically true. the thing with any psychological research is that is based on empirical research(and thus need to be validated using statistical measurements) is that none of it can be called true or untrue, researchers talk about(and calculate) chance that the study is false(or actually this is done to every hypothesis in the study separately). like it or not, but MBTI has higher validity than astrology

In seventy years not one random double blind experiment has been done with MBTI.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Why not consult DSM IV?

i dont understand what you are trying with this, but personality disorders are axis II disorders. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders is for mental disorders, not only for mental illnesses

Axis I: Clinical disorders, including major mental disorders, and learning disorders
Axis II: Personality disorders and intellectual disabilities (although developmental disorders, such as Autism, were coded on Axis II in the previous edition, these disorders are now included on Axis I)
Axis III: Acute medical conditions and physical disorders
Axis IV: Psychosocial and environmental factors contributing to the disorder
Axis V: Global Assessment of Functioning or Children's Global Assessment Scale for children and teens under the age of 18

Common Axis I disorders include depression, anxiety disorders, bipolar disorder, ADHD, autism spectrum disorders, anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, and schizophrenia.

Common Axis II disorders include personality disorders: paranoid personality disorder, schizoid personality disorder, schizotypal personality disorder, borderline personality disorder, antisocial personality disorder, narcissistic personality disorder, histrionic personality disorder, avoidant personality disorder, dependent personality disorder, obsessive-compulsive personality disorder, and intellectual disabilities.

Common Axis III disorders include brain injuries and other medical/physical disorders which may aggravate existing diseases or present symptoms similar to other disorders.

In seventy years not one random double blind experiment has been done with MBTI.

do you know what double blind experiment means? because if you would, you wouldnt be asking that for MBTI test

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
It was thrown at me a few years ago by a psychiatrist, I fit the bill. I'm sure lots of people do - it seems all you need is unstable mood, poor sense of self and impulsive behaviour. My best friend has recently been told she has BPD too... I have coping strategies etc for stress so I don't consider this an issue. But my mood is rather extreme at times and each day is different, and my personality seems to vary so much. I am like a completely different person some days and others comment on this too. However in the last year I've started having seizures and various other physical problems that seem to originate from the brain/nervous system so it could be there is more to this 'personality disorder' than meets the eye (currently under investigation).

Anyway, I am having problems typing myself. Some days I am so sure I am INTP but also score as INTJ/INFP/INFJ. Unstable maybe? heh..

If you're having seizures I wouldn't be so sure this is BPD.

Sometimes they have to rule out BPD when people actually have bipolar disorder, but mood instability can also come from other sources. I hope you get this checked out.

The "being a different person some days" I suppose falls under the criteria for BPD, tell me, did they give you any medications that could cause seizures?