User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Insecurity is the NEED for validation. Most people enjoy validation but some need it to maintain self-esteem levels, so they pretzel themselves to get it.
    This is an excellent description.

Also - capitalizing on insecurity? Yes - that is exactly why advertising can generate so much dough

Insecurity is the NEED for validation. Most people enjoy validation but some need it to maintain self-esteem levels, so they pretzel themselves to get it.
    I was thinking about that the other day. Now and again I need validation for something, typically something I am learning. It bugs me that I need validation. Someone to rub my head and say I'm doing okay.

I guess we all have our little addictions.

MBTI
    INFJ

^ At least you're not going on 50 and seeking validation from your children

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I don't see what is so wrong with validation. I commonly find many miscommunications/arguments between people stem from a lack of validation in their statements.. even if the statement itself is accurate/meaning well.. if it invalidates the other person's, it'll flare out into something bigger than it needs to be.

Validation isn't so bad in and of itself...
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I don't see what is so wrong with validation. I commonly find many miscommunications/arguments between people stem from a lack of validation in their statements.. even if the statement itself is accurate/meaning well.. if it invalidates the other person's, it'll flare out into something bigger than it needs to be.

Agreed. Seeking validation is fine. Demanding it is when things start to be problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    To want validation is human. It is the expression of needs that can be problematic. Then what happens when a need is not met and the expression is problematic. You can't exactly ask for validation. "Hey! Praise me already!" Even if you get a response it isn't going to quench your thirst. It's more likely to be a bit like a glass of salty water. It'll leave you wanting more.

It's better to pull back a bit, pay attention and be aware of others and at the same time cultivate your own style.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    To want validation is human. It is the expression of needs that can be problematic. Then what happens when a need is not met and the expression is problematic. You can't exactly ask for validation. "Hey! Praise me already!" Even if you get a response it isn't going to quench your thirst. It's more likely to be a bit like a glass of salty water. It'll leave you wanting more.

It's better to pull back a bit, pay attention and be aware of others and at the same time cultivate your own style.
    It's by degrees wolfy. How far or low will an individual go to get that validation? This doesn't sound like the little I know of you.

It's by degrees wolfy. How far or low will an individual go to get that validation? This doesn't sound like the little I know of you.
    It is by degrees. How far or low a person will go is what I mean by the expression of needs can be a problem. I doubt I am very high on the needy scale but it is something I have thought about. I remember doing some kind of test about why I do things. It was applause, that ties in with an artisans need for impact. So there is some of that in me.