User Tag List

First 715161718 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    Can't be all that smart without insight and imagination can ya? Only being able to do enough to get by invariably strips us of true proficiency, except where we've had years of practice (hence getting by...).
    I guess that's the question. What if a person is smart but unimaginative? What goes on in such a brain?

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Nothing. High processing power isn't good enough. If you've nothing to analyze... you may as well not have the ability.
    It's like for example a machine that could build things out of element #129. The element doesn't exist, so the machine is just scrap metal.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Inteligence as some kind of computational parallel is a whole bunch of whooey designed by those who wanted respect for being geeks. They couldn't find enough self pride to just be in the face of all those who laughed at them and so they produced a grading system where you are rewarded for being more like them and punished for being less like them. The evidence is in the testing methods. Like was mentioned the idea of "which word does not fit" and such nonsense. It all relies on absorbing the parameters expected of a person before taking the test. The most ingenious of people lacking the proper grounding would fail the test and those studious enough to practice such things will do well. It is no decent measure of a persons actual mental prowess just a figure to be compared to a benchmark.

For those who deal with computers as an enthusiast, how many times have you seen something benchmark really well, like a new graphics card, only to find out that in the real world it's not much better or worse than the alternative which didn't benchmark so well?

I believe that intelligence tests are by their nature synthetic benchmarks and should be treated as such.

I also know someone with a high IQ who was a top grade student but who to this day can't operate anything mechanical without screwing it up somehow. Me, I didn't do so well at the acedemic stuff but I leave her for dust in practical applications.

That does give me the feeling that I should lend more credence to the 7 intelligence types but I still have doubts as to whether those designing the tests understand enough to produce the tests without making them synthetic and removed from real world performance.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

I'm a stupid intuitive and proud of it.

Hell, it takes talent to be a stupid intuitive, dontcha know???

We just sit on our asses and think of stupid shit all day long. If we could find a way to channel our creative purposes, we'd be millionaires. But alas, we are just dumbasses.

So take a seat, and try to teach stupid people how to be smart....

S intelligence? N intelligence? Hell, I'm not picky. Just teach me how to be a smart ass!!!!!!!!!
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    Just teach me how to be a smart ass!!!!!!!!!
    Tie a bow tie around your waist. Now turn it backwards and pull your trousers down.

Simple.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Tie a bow tie around your waist. Now turn it backwards and pull your trousers down.

Simple.
    Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, can I fart too??? I mean, I think that would top the cake?

Alternatively, I could burp....
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

We just sit on our asses and think of stupid shit all day long. If we could find a way to channel our creative purposes, we'd be millionaires. But alas, we are just dumbasses.

S intelligence? N intelligence? Hell, I'm not picky. Just teach me how to be a smart ass!!!!!!!!!
    I'm with you.

MBTI
    ENTP

If you define intelligence the way the IQ test defines it, as the ability to solve abstract problems quickly, then intuition is undoubtedly helpful. But there are intuitives who can think abstractly and quickly but couldn't analyze their way out of a box, and there are sensors who can analyze and have developed their intuition through education.
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    INFP

Sometimes I feel like I'm "on Mercury"-

MBTI
    INTJ

Just find a job that lets you be intuitive. A las they are few, but luckily I landed one

Course I had to learn to use my S more around folks to get the job I have.

But yes, I sit around researching, thinking, and coming up with creativity fixes, strategies, and questions that need to be answered then applied all day long.

However, afterwards I need to unwind somewhere by being goofy as my creativity is bundled up towards serious subjects.

Not sure if that made sense but my intuitive side needs to be balanced out, so if I sit around all day help solve huge problems of serious nature, then I must rebalance my self with creativity of some form (writing, discussing, debating weird subjects, exploring, etc...)