User Tag List

12311 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Wink Sensor Bias at MBTIc

As you all know, I joined this site as a Sensor and have been one for somewhere around 5 months now.

Am I a Sensor? No. I've tested as an ENTP since I first took the test in high school

I'd lurked on this site for a bit before joining it and had noticed a bias against Sensors- the idea that they are generally less intelligent, less interesting and in general probably worse people than Ns are. This annoyed me, since a good number of my friends and family members are Sensors, so I joined the site as a Sensor just to see what would happen. I played up my Se (lucky for me it isn't weak) and downplayed my Ne in order to fit the image and jumped right in. After a while, people started to be a bit nicer about Sensors, and aknowledge that sometimes they aren't idiots. It was kind of fun to play a different part for a while

I'm still the same person, anything not related to my type that I've said has been true.

I still sense some bias against Sensors around here- nobody seems to want to be one for instance- so can you please tell me why? Would you have acted any differently towards me if I had joined as an ENTP?

people were catching onto me so I had to come out of the closet

Mod note: Please reserve this thread for discussion about bias. You can leave personal comments for whatever here.
    Last edited by ThatsWhatHeSaid; 03-17-2008 at 07:54 PM.
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I still sense some bias against Sensors around here- nobody seems to want to be one for instance- so can you please tell me why?
    Not wanting to be a sensor isn't necessarily indicative of a bias against them. The majority of this board's members are intuitives; we've grown accustomed to it. We're used to who we are. Why would we want to change that?

If some odd nature of fairy gave me the opportunity to become an extravert, I would decline. Do I dislike extraverts? Of course not. Extraversion has a host of associated positive qualities that introversion lacks. I've just grown into this personality, is all.

While I appreciate the sentiment behind this experiment, I think it would have likely been more effective to quote specific examples of the bias you claim exists and call upon the posters to explain themselves and/or their actions.

Demonstrations tend not to convert the unconverted.
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I prefer not to call people out on anything... there are plenty of examples if you look though.

And some people seem rather sensorish but deny it vehemently every time anyone suggests it- is it THAT horrible of a thing to suggest?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

I prefer not to call people out on anything... there are plenty of examples if you look though.

And some people seem rather sensorish but deny it vehemently every time anyone suggests it- is it THAT horrible of a thing to suggest?
    Again, the quotation of specific examples would be necessary to make a judgement. There are a host of other reasons why a member may object to the accusation of personal mistyping.

One example that comes immediately to mind is INTJMom; she obviously has no problem with sensors, it's just that she put a lot of thought and effort into determining her type and gets understandably irked when people trivialize that with their baseless accusations.

I will point out, though, that your broad accusation sans supporting evidence is quite N
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

sammy

I still sense some bias against Sensors around here- nobody seems to want to be one for instance- so can you please tell me why? Would you have acted any differently towards me if I had joined as an ENTP?
    I sense it at times as well. But it's not as bad as I've seen it can get, granted, I have not been on this forum for long. But I have seen how people get automatic respect from others on typology forums when they are iNtuitive, which is why I wished to remain ambiguous about what I am for a while. I understand your desire for this experiment.

If you had listed yourself as an ENTP from the start, I think I might have continued to respond to you the way I have been because I wasn't exactly honest about my type either for similar reasons to your own pretending to be ESTP. Either way, I think you seem to be more balanced on that dang S/N scale based on what I've read in your posts. I view this as a very strategic way of being

As for why people don't wish to be sensors? I think that has to do with the fact that many perceived ills towards iNtuitives has been done by sensors, at least in their own estimation (how many iNtuitives admit that a fellow iNtuitive misunderstands them more than sensors? I will admit that it's been fellow N's in my real life who have misunderstood me the most in the past few months, for instance).
    people were catching onto me so I had to come out of the closet

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

Welcome to the club, sister.

Now bow down now and claim Machiavelli as your patron saint.

(If you haven't already).

Ok, anybody else outting? The change in letters in folks here are scaring the subcockles of my heart. I thought I knew everyone, now I find I don't. *weeps*

Meh! How come nobody ever questioned my type!!!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by aelan View Post
    Meh! How come nobody ever questioned my type!!!
    I think you're an F.

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    I think you're an F.
    Ask a rhetorical question and I get answered. So I guess I can start another thread to ask why F, in order not to derail whatever (sisttteerrrr!) thread.

You're a madmin now huh, congrats to you and zergling. Wasn't online much so didn't say it.

Edit: Not nocap, Zergling. Thanks Dana.
    Last edited by white; 03-17-2008 at 01:52 AM. Reason: wrong congratulations. :D

MBTI
    INFP

Not nocap; zergling.

I've never sensed the bias that you're speaking of.

Hah.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari