User Tag List

First 2345614 Last

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Interesting. Maybe there is truth to sensors and intuitives really not getting along, then--at least on forums. I don't know of any other 'sensor' who is widely liked here.

It's interesting that your experiment was intended to break down boundaries which may or may not exist, but it seems instead to have reinforced them. I'm sure it was amusing to evaluate others' reactions to you, though.

EDIT: if that came off as harsh, it wasn't intended. Straight observation only.

EDIT 2: typical N thing to do, so I guess I can't argue with your 'new' type.

To the top of the world arcticangel02's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP

Hah, very interesting.

Although I think it's very possible to 'fake a personality', especially in a medium such as this forum where the other users only see what you deliberately put out there.

Hence why typing people based entirely on what they post here is not really any use at all. :P

But naturally, in real life it would be next to impossible to do except in extreme circumstances.
    ANFP:
    Extraversion (52%) ---- Introversion (48%)
    Sensing (26%) ---- iNtuition (74%)
    Thinking (16%) ---- Feeling (84%)
    Judging (5%) ---- Perceiving (95%)

9w1 so/sx/sp

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering View Post
    I can never assume that a particular individual is unable to understand a particular argument.

See what I mean?
    It isn't that they don't understand it, they just, most likely, won't agree with it if it sounds emotional... not until its worded unemotionally... they're just suspiscious ya know.

Edit:.. Oh, nope, you're right... I do recall a convo in which I had no clue. lol

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by arcticangel02 View Post
    Hence why typing people based entirely on what they post here is not really any use at all. :P
    Is the implication that most here are being deceptive in their posts?

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Seanan View Post
    It isn't that they don't understand it, they just, most likely, won't agree with it if it sounds emotional... not until its worded unemotionally... they're just suspiscious ya know.
    Yeah, I know But still: assuming that an INTP, any random INTP, will automatically disagree with a Feeling-worded argument would be bias

Edit:.. Oh, nope, you're right... I do recall a convo in which I had no clue. lol
    Hence the good sense in tailoring

Enneagram
    1w2

To throw my opinion in the pot, this forum was created out of a rather large type bias at INTPc. I know that I've always been sensitive to any sign of type bias. I think it does exist, but it's not as bad as other MBTI related forums and I'm just not referring to INTPc. I don't think it's a very prominent problem because people here (or at least I am) are quick to shut it down fairly quickly and I think inclusiveness is very much rammed over people's heads here (in a good way ).

That said, I think biases against sensors creeps up in subtle ways. What I noticed is when celebrity typing threads were more popular people were always typing celebs as some type of intuitive, INFJ and INFP seemed to be incredibly popular. Just recently whatever pointed out how biased and unrealistic it was for someone to claim that all the 2008 presidential nominees were intuitive. Then you have the statements that occur in the middle of threads about how people could never have a relationship with a sensor, etc. I have noticed that ENJs tend to be thought of as lower class intuitives.

I think it's more or less recognizing the "code words" for sensing and intuiting. Like when people claim they're so out of the box (who's left in the box? who wants to stay in the box? who does/doesn't realize they're in a box?) it's like saying you have some higher level of consciousness that few people in your life have. It's that attitude which I think is prominent around here, which can sometimes translate into a bias. Because comparatively if you think you see patterns/connections/meanings that no one else sees and you're convinced those things are real and are quite plain to see if anyone cared to look but no one else around you seems to be seeing it either you think you're crazy or you think everyone else is. It's much safer to believe that you're the flood light in the sea of darkness.

Then it arises in thread like this one. I noticed how quick people were to confirm that this evildoer was in fact an ESxJ. Or whenever someone comes having difficulty with another asking for help it's usually a sensor that is the crux. This doesn't mean that you can't complain about a sensor that you're having problems with, but look at the rate at which people complain about problems with a sensor or problems with an intuitive. I think someone already mentioned this, but how do you even know the person in question is a sensor? What would happen if a sensor came in complaining about an intuitive they were having problems with? What would the response be?

IMO, it's not necessarily that people are explicitly saying sensors are stupid, it's an attitude that permeates the atmosphere. It's a smugness that no one sees what you see and very few people understand the world in the way you understand it. I'm not saying that I am correctly interpreting things, it's just what it seems like to me. For example whenever there's a hot thread about any of the Big Topics (Religion, Sex/Sexuality, Politics, etc.), I find there's a didactic and pompous air that's wrapped in pseudo open mindedness. Maybe I'm just dull or something, I don't know, it seems like so few people approach a topic humbly. And I know, when I was in college and had my Psychology or Sociology 101 textbook sitting right next to me, I was quick to jump out there and defend to the death what I had just "learned." This may just come down to the demographics of the forum. We have a lot of college students and people in their 20s (myself included) who's personalities are gelling or are incorporating new ideas into their worldview and there's a lot of questioning which is fine. I notice the older posters don't act like this for the most part because experience has mellowed them out.

Seriously, extreme sensors and extreme intuitives are exactly alike in my eyes, I can't understand a damn thing either type is saying. I guess extreme sensors are more stereotypical the dumb rock types but I'd definitely class extreme intuitives as idiot savants.

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering View Post
    Yeah, I know But still: assuming that an INTP, any random INTP, will automatically disagree with a Feeling-worded argument would be bias

Hence the good sense in tailoring
    Yeh... but in all probability.....

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    As you all know, I joined this site as a Sensor and have been one for somewhere around 5 months now.

Am I a Sensor? No. I've tested as an ENTP since I first took the test in high school

I'd lurked on this site for a bit before joining it and had noticed a bias against Sensors- the idea that they are generally less intelligent, less interesting and in general probably worse people than Ns are. This annoyed me, since a good number of my friends and family members are Sensors, so I joined the site as a Sensor just to see what would happen. I played up my Se (lucky for me it isn't weak) and downplayed my Ne in order to fit the image and jumped right in. After a while, people started to be a bit nicer about Sensors, and acknowledge that sometimes they aren't idiots. It was kind of fun to play a different part for a while

I'm still the same person, anything not related to my type that I've said has been true.

I still sense some bias against Sensors around here- nobody seems to want to be one for instance- so can you please tell me why? Would you have acted any differently towards me if I had joined as an ENTP?

people were catching onto me so I had to come out of the closet
    That's interesting.
    That throws my whole thinking into a tizzy.
    You SAID you were an ESTP, but now you're saying you're really an ENTP?
    So this whole time I thought I was interacting with an ESTP (and constantly having to re-think what I thought I knew about ESTPs) now it turns out, I haven't learned a doggone thing about ESTPs after all.
    That's very frustrating.
    Now I have to unlearn what I learned if only I could separate it out from all the other stuff.

You'll never know how we WOULD have treated you because it is what it is.

The only reason we started thinking sensors aren't actually idiots is because you are clearly not an idiot. You haven't proved that sensors aren't "idiots" since you are not actually a sensor.

Btw - let me make it perfectly clear, I have never thought sensors are stupid. I don't know where some people get that idea. I have never seen it in a profile.

I wanted to add that I know plenty of sensors IRL, and they are NOT idiots. Whatever, did not need to do anything to convince me of this. Most are smarter than me, and are certainly more well-adjusted.

Granted, they're almost all IST- types. One of my closer friends tested ExTP, and he did seem a lot like whatever (depending how much she was acting, I guess).

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFj

Smile

Before I discovered type I thought of people as Anne of Green Gables's "kindred spirits" or not "kindred spirits" in that we could talk of philosophy, and other enthusiasms. When I discovered type, I wasn't surprised that there was a reason for this, just fascinated. I always had dear friends who were not "kindred spirits." I married a man who was not a "kindred spirit" because I loved him. He is, of course, a sensor. My sister who was the best friend to everyone and did everything right was an ESFJ, and that is what I would be if I could. Though my close friends tend to be NFs or NTs, I don't believe I have a sensor bias.