First 51314151617 Last

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by alicia91 View Post
    There is a HUGE sensor-bias here! Sure there are many very open-minded, friendly, non-biased Intuitives here but pretty much every day someone says that I's are more intelligent, that they wish they wouldn't ever have to deal with S's ever again, that S brains are more primitive, etc. Or my favorite 'that Sensor's have 'trouble' understanding what I's mean because they are too concrete and things need to be simplified etc. Someone actually said to me when I first joined that he hoped that I would stick around even though they might be discussing things that I might find hard to follow. WTF?

I think MBTI (and other psychology topics) to be fascinating but many here place much too much importance on it which last I heard was an unproven theory and then use it to seperate and put people in boxes rather than using it to understand and relate to others.
    Uh oh! :eek: Dorothy! Quick shield me!
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    As you all know, I joined this site as a Sensor and have been one for somewhere around 5 months now.

Am I a Sensor? No. I've tested as an ENTP since I first took the test in high school

I'd lurked on this site for a bit before joining it and had noticed a bias against Sensors- the idea that they are generally less intelligent, less interesting and in general probably worse people than Ns are. This annoyed me, since a good number of my friends and family members are Sensors, so I joined the site as a Sensor just to see what would happen. I played up my Se (lucky for me it isn't weak) and downplayed my Ne in order to fit the image and jumped right in. After a while, people started to be a bit nicer about Sensors, and aknowledge that sometimes they aren't idiots. It was kind of fun to play a different part for a while

I'm still the same person, anything not related to my type that I've said has been true.

I still sense some bias against Sensors around here- nobody seems to want to be one for instance- so can you please tell me why? Would you have acted any differently towards me if I had joined as an ENTP?

people were catching onto me so I had to come out of the closet

Mod note: Please reserve this thread for discussion about bias. You can leave personal comments for whatever here.
    I definitely sense a Sensor bias (no pun intended). The worst is on the iNtuitive forums, such as iNtutive Central.
    I know many smart people who are definitely Sensors!

I think a lot of iNtutives become snobby towards Sensors because they feel those were the types who pegged them as weird without really getting to know them. That is never a good feeling............ BUT.............. irony here!!!!!!

The iNtutives who are doing this to Sensors are extremely guilty of the same practice......

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    I definitely sense a Sensor bias (no pun intended). The worst is on the iNtuitive forums, such as iNtutive Central.
    I know many smart people who are definitely Sensors!

I think a lot of iNtutives become snobby towards Sensors because they feel those were the types who pegged them as weird without really getting to know them. That is never a good feeling............ BUT.............. irony here!!!!!!

The iNtutives who are doing this to Sensors are extremely guilty of the same practice......
    The thing is I have seen Ns get tagged for simply pointing out that the sensors around them don't understand them and then everyone is crying "oooohhhh sensor bias, sensor bias! You will hurt their feelings if you say they don't understand you!", so there is a strange sort of political correctness about this issue between sensors and intutitves. It is okay for sensors to not understand intutitives and to be vocal about it but it is not okay for intutives to say anything about sensors failing to understand them.

That's a double standard.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    The thing is I have seen Ns get tagged for simply pointing out that the sensors around them don't understand them and then everyone is crying "oooohhhh sensor bias, sensor bias! You will hurt their feelings if you say they don't understand you!", so there is a strange sort of political correctness about this issue between sensors and intutitves. It is okay for sensors to not understand intutitives and to be vocal about it but it is not okay for intutives to say anything about sensors failing to understand them.

That's a double standard.
    Being overly sensitive about such interactions is one thing; reading/listening to intuitives claiming to be intellectual superiors is another (that is what actually got my goat earlier). It works both ways on misunderstanding, too. Listening to some intuitive people I know explain something complex can be like listening to a 5-year-old tell a joke. They aren't inferior; they communicate differently.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Being overly sensitive about such interactions is one thing; reading/listening to intuitives claiming to be intellectual superiors is another (that is what actually got my goat earlier). It works both ways on misunderstanding, too. Listening to some intuitive people I know explain something complex can be like listening to a 5-year-old tell a joke. They aren't inferior; they communicate differently.
    Yes and you get to express this statement with appaluse, but if I said anything about S, people would cry "sensor bias!."

MBTI
    ESFJ

Yes and you get to express this statement with appaluse, but if I said anything about S, people would cry "sensor bias!."
    Well, I am not one for victimology, but this forum shouldn't be an echo chamber for people to feel better about themselves at others' expenses illegitmately, either. It's important to self-examine. I can understand someone intuitive being frustrated at sensors not understanding them, but the question should be "How can I make myself better understood?" NOT "Why are these people so dense?" The flipside is true, too. I (and people like me) shouldn't say "What that hell are you talking about?" We should say, "Explain to me your thought process, so I figure out what is missing in this communication."

heart on fire

I guess the thing is that some of us have sensor relatives who won't listen no matter what and just laugh say "whatever."

The assumption that some of us have not tried and knocked our heads against the preverbial wall all our lives is not valid.

MBTI
    ESFJ

I guess the thing is that some of us have sensor relatives who won't listen no matter what and just laugh say "whatever."

The assumption that some of us have not tried and knocked our heads against the preverbial wall all our lives is not valid.
    I am starting to think that "sensor" = "relative or co-worker I hate" for some people.

Enneagram
    1w2

I am starting to think that "sensor" = "relative or co-worker I hate" for some people.

heart on fire

Well, then you are wrong. I have affection many of the sensors I have the most frustration with. EDIT: "Been hurt by" is a better word than "hate" here.

Mark this, you are a vastly different breed of sensor than many of us know based solely on your willingness to seek understanding through MBTI.

I have tried to bring MBTI up with the ones I care the most about and they won't talk about it at all. I try to explain the differences in commnication and they laugh at me.