User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

True enough, much as the brief response typical of my face-to-face interaction in such as case might be "agreed" or simply "yes!".
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

True, and I didn't mean to insinuate otherwise. I just found it funny that there were a couple '+1's as responses in this thread, given what I was writing at the time. I hope you'll agree that a lot of online interaction regarding more profound subjects and statements has been reduced to '+1' and 'like', and that's not a good thing, even though we're nominally "more connected" to people than ever.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I agree that profound subjects often receive cursory replies online, but in my experience, they often receive even less response IRL. Most people I encounter wouldn't even bother to hear out an idea like the OP, much less give it thought or reply. A "+1" or "agreed", or the in-person equivalent, can be just the tip of the iceberg, while the real response lies beneath the surface in the internal reflection and sometimes research that the initial statement has prompted. This is often the case for me when I read something that makes me see things in a different way, or presents something entirely new. I don't feel ready to respond substantively without further consideration, but sometimes I want to express appreciation or overall concurrence with the member. In short, the length of a reply is not always a reliable indicator of how seriously a person is treating a topic, or how much they are affected by it.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Sorry I'm late to this thread but the old cliche "Everything in moderation" is what comes to mind. I think there are unique and healthy benefits to both having solitude and being with others. Balance... a little of both is what seems best. For the reasons stated in this thread, solitude is good, but we are also social creatures. To deny one or the other is not wrong, nor will it prevent you from living life but I think you miss developing a part of yourself.

Also, I own this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Solitude-Retur...8446139&sr=8-1

Diving into Ni-space Crescent Fresh's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

One thing I learned the most as this is my first experience without any close people around me is the preciousness of people.

It also helps me to think about my identity, passion, life perspective a lot. It's much more than a mere recharge for the sake of self-reflection.

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

This was the most interesting of the cited research:
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...00204/abstract "Solitude: An Exploration of Benefits of Being Alone"

Solitude An Exploration of Benefits of Being Alone.pdf

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I was thinking about the articles in this thread today, decided to look them up to read them again and figured I may as well give the thread a bump while I'm at it.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

It would be interesting to use this as a jumping-off point for a study that distinguishes between introverts and extraverts and the benefits each derive from solitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    the experience of being alone is being transformed dramatically, as more and more people spend their days and nights permanently connected to the outside world through cellphones and computers. In an age when no one is ever more than a text message or an e-mail away from other people, the distinction between “alone” and “together” has become hopelessly blurry, even as the potential benefits of true solitude are starting to become clearer.
    This rings very true for me. As someone who is profoundly introverted, I sometimes get exhausted and "used up" from writing an email -- or even posting on a forum like this. Interpersonal interaction usually doesn't feel like "true" alone time, even if it's through a phone or computer or whatever. If I care about the opinions of people with whom I'm interacting, I expend a lot of mental energy on my communications.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

We are made as social beings. I certainly need time alone. I believe everybody does. Not to make it a way of life though. I imagine that would become harmful to one's health starting at some point or another.

However, one man named Dick Proenneke did..

His cabin's still standing and you can go visit where he lived alone for 30 years.
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'