User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I have friends online that I've known online for 10 years and never met, but they're my friends. I think if you meet a kindred spirit, you can be friends online. I think people tend to relate online similarly as they do in life. There are people who are satisfied with Tweet style interaction and some who think unless you cozy up and talk deep into the night, it was no good. I think it's a mistake to believe that you can't actually be friends unless it's in person.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    I have friends online that I've known online for 10 years and never met, but they're my friends. I think if you meet a kindred spirit, you can be friends online. I think people tend to relate online similarly as they do in life. There are people who are satisfied with Tweet style interaction and some who think unless you cozy up and talk deep into the night, it was no good. I think it's a mistake to believe that you can't actually be friends unless it's in person.
    True! But it is also possible to be friends on the WWW annnnnd IRL.

-Alex
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    Bump!

Yes! YES! I often see movies alone and a couple friends have later asked me "Why didn't you say anything?! I would have gone with you!" As though going to a movie alone is a bad thing. I like going to see movies by myself because I can focus on the movie and not get distracted by the din of chatter.

Our society, on the whole, doesn't seem to make a distinction between 'alone' and 'lonely'. The word 'loner' is considered somewhat of an epithet. I think most people are incapable of being alone without feeling lonely, thus there is a stigma against being someone who not only is capable of being alone without feeling lonely but particularly against someone who wants to be alone.

Psychologists and psychiatrists have recognized disorders like "Avoidant Personality Disorder" and "Antisocial Personality Disorder", and people at large use terms like 'hermit' and 'recluse' to describe people who prefer to be alone. There are no such diagnoses for people who are the complete opposite. They are celebrated as 'socialites' and "social butterflies".

We are conditioned to believe that being alone will make you feel lonely. Being alone is 'bad'. Being alone in thought is 'unproductive', because there's often nothing to show anyone else for all that time spent pondering.

Perhaps that's why the popularity of Facebook, Twitter and the like exploded over the past five years. Telephones are now "mobile social devices", not only capable of making a telephone call but also texting and accessing the internet through our precious "social apps".

We spend so much time on things like Facebook, and maybe even internet forums, because we believe that being 'interconnected' with people will make us 'happy' or 'better' people. But these styles of interaction are so brief and impersonal it's not fulfilling (to me). I believe it is possible to say something of great substance in 140 words or less but most people have neither the time nor the inclination to pause and think of something profound to say. They're too busy being inundated with tweets and status updates and text messages and so on.

Maybe that's why Vasilisa's thread here was quickly done and buried after a handful of responses over the course of only a week. To be able to discuss this means sitting down and reading this, this and this, and then spending a lot of time digesting that information and thinking of a response more profound than "That was interesting, thanks for sharing," or "+1" (not meaning to pick on Coriolis, it was just too good an example to pass up ).

I think most people glanced over this because it's "tl;dr": a sadly ironic abbreviation.
    I completely agree. I go to movies alone all the time. Sometimes it's a convenience thing (it's 2 pm on a Sunday and I want to see x movie), or just a chance to do something on my own. Movies, to me, are one of the most introverted activities you can do with someone.

I also just hate going to movies with my friends who have a running commentary throughout the movie, or are an INTP who can't handle emotions on screen and starts making drum noises with his mouth.

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    100% agree as well. Sometimes I think we see a truer image of others through online interactions. You get to read their thoughts and have a purpose behind a lot of what you say to each other.

MBTI
    INTP

Lonely is disempowering

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    I completely agree. I go to movies alone all the time. Sometimes it's a convenience thing (it's 2 pm on a Sunday and I want to see x movie), or just a chance to do something on my own. Movies, to me, are one of the most introverted activities you can do with someone.

I also just hate going to movies with my friends who have a running commentary throughout the movie, or are an INTP who can't handle emotions on screen and starts making drum noises with his mouth.
    So true. I also find that it can be refreshing not having to make plans with people and just do it on your own timetable. I eat alone all the time because of this fact.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    Maybe that's why Vasilisa's thread here was quickly done and buried after a handful of responses over the course of only a week. To be able to discuss this means sitting down and reading this, this and this, and then spending a lot of time digesting that information and thinking of a response more profound than "That was interesting, thanks for sharing," or "+1" (not meaning to pick on Coriolis, it was just too good an example to pass up ).

I think most people glanced over this because it's "tl;dr": a sadly ironic abbreviation.
    Too good an example of what? My "+1" comment was directed at a specific observation of SilkRoad, not the thread in general. I don't mind being used as an example, but prefer it accurately reflect my intent.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

i can be alone for a very long time. months.
    no contact. no talking to people. and i get
    a lot of stuff done. i become so focused.
    so efficient. alone time is like the time
    for execution of all things. it's very bizzare.

then i get to a point where i just.
    crave. intimacy. it's just always nicer
    with two, even if i'm less productive.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Too good an example of what?
    A brief response typical of online interaction. Like, 'like'.

You agreed with SilkRoad, so you responded with '+1'. That's all I said you did.