User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you use doublethink?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

22 53.66%
  • No.

14 34.15%
  • I don't know.

5 12.20%
12311 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default Do you use doublethink?

Doublethink -- The power to hold two completely contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accept both of them.

It was a concept introduced by Orwell's 1984.

I find it a very interesting concept, because I find myself using a similar process in many aspects of my life and reasoning. In many cases, I feel that it yields something closer to the truth than simply believing that things are or are not one way.

It seems very philosophically profound, realizing that all things are embedded within their opposite, and indeed cannot exist in the absence of their opposite. Things which seem to be contradictory, are not truly contradictory.

I used to experience cognitive dissonance a lot, but eventually I stumbled upon this idea... and I never experienced it again. It was gone from my mind.

So, my question is... do you use doublethink? Do you find that it helps you deal better with some aspects of your life to do so?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

No, but I will say that ultimate truth is sometimes hard to determine, so one has to lend validity to opposing ideas when figuring out the correct one is impossible.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    So, my question is... do you use doublethink? Do you find that it helps you deal better with some aspects of your life to do so?
    Yes, I have used it. I'm having trouble remembering specific examples though. I don't know how helpful it is aside from the realization that multiple viable perspectives exist and there is no clear right or wrong for many things.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

P.S. doublethink is willful ignorance. I can't recommend it.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    Yes, I have used it. I'm having trouble remembering specific examples though. I don't know how helpful it is aside from the realization that multiple viable perspectives exist and there is no clear right or wrong for many things.
    Yes, I knew you were capable of it.

I think that it's tied up with an understanding of irony, and the ability to entertain opposing thoughts... it's just taken to a higher level, realizing that each perspective is true in one way, but not true in any other way (and yet, sometimes it is).

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    P.S. doublethink is willful ignorance. I can't recommend it.
    Only if you choose to look at it that way. It could also be considered willful knowledge.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I dunno about 'doublethink', in terms of Orwell. But I use something similar. For example, one person says 'cigarettes cause cancer' and another rebuts "No, cigarettes don't cause cancer. Can they both be right? Can they both be wrong? How do I reconcile these disparate viewpoints to find what is closest to the truth? In effect, this requires reframing the argument and rising above the positions of both sides to find an overarching state of unity between them.
    In this, case, both are partially correct and partially incorrect. Smoking doesn't cause cancer, because if that were true, then all smokers would get it, but they don't. However, smoking contributes to the development of disease, and sometimes that disease is cancer. The error lies in the fact that both statements don’t define the problem completely.
    This doesn’t mean that I accept both arguments as ‘true’ in the Orwellian sense. Only that they both point to a higher synthesis.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

That concept drove me insane when I was reading 1984.

I can't do it, and cannot see how others can do it either.

I can think of all sorts of ideas, including those that contradict with each other, but it is only to think of them not to accept (or hold as true) the contradictory ones at the same time.

I would not be surprised if this turns out to be type-related...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    T9W1

Constantly. Two or more opposing ideas held at the same time, all the time, without conflict, without nullifying each other. Just more ingredients in the pot, more perspectives on a theme.

I'm not familiar with the term cognitive dissonance. What is that?

Not really fond of using the term doublethink for it. It's very laden with it's own associations. It was one of the philosophers who described this trait, one of the big ones. Plato... probably not, more likely Socrates.... or was it Seneca... someone, in any case, described this trait, and called it a part of wisdom.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

completely depends how you define "contradictory". Lots of things (most things, probably) can be one thing from one perspective, and another thing from another perspective. You could call that contradictory. Other things are more objective.

I wouldn't use the term doublethink, though. It has a slightly different connotation for me, not really concerning differing perspectives.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Doublethink -- The power to hold two completely contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accept both of them.

It was a concept introduced by Orwell's 1984.

I find it a very interesting concept, because I find myself using a similar process in many aspects of my life and reasoning. In many cases, I feel that it yields something closer to the truth than simply believing that things are or are not one way.

It seems very philosophically profound, realizing that all things are embedded within their opposite, and indeed cannot exist in the absence of their opposite. Things which seem to be contradictory, are not truly contradictory.

I used to experience cognitive dissonance a lot, but eventually I stumbled upon this idea... and I never experienced it again. It was gone from my mind.

Of course, that's how I see most things. Generally when I argue a point it's for the sake of having a position. It's a social stance.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE