User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you use doublethink?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

22 53.66%
  • No.

14 34.15%
  • I don't know.

5 12.20%
First 3456715 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    schizophrenic thought much?
    Well, yes.

Doublethink is just a method of continually deceiving oneself into believing that the contradictory thoughts one holds are true. And this is basically accomplished through tactics of willful ignorance and deception. I'm really failing to see how this type of thinking is anything short of delusional. If anything, it's a tendency for sloppy and solipsistic thinking that must be actively avoided.

Crimestop:

The faculty of stopping short, as though by instinct, at the threshold of any dangerous thought. It includes the power of not grasping analogies, of failing to perceive logical errors, of misunderstanding the simplest arguments if they are inimical to Ingsoc, and of being bored or repelled by any train of thought which is capable of leading in a heretical direction. In short....protective stupidity.
    Doublethink:

But stupidity is not enough. On the contrary, orthodoxy in the full sense demands a control over one's own mental processes as complete as that of a contortionist over his body. Oceanic society rests ultimately on the belief that Big Brother is omnipotent and that the Party is infallible. But since in reality Big Brother is not omnipotent and the party is not infallible, there is need for an unwearying, moment-to-moment flexibility in the treatment of facts. The keyword here is blackwhite. Like so many Newspeak words, this word has two mutually contradictory meanings. Applied to an opponent, it means the habit of impudently claiming that black is white, in contradiction of the plain facts. Applied to a Party member, it means a loyal willingness to say that black is white when Party discipline demands this. But it means also the ability to believe that black is white, and more, to know that black is white, and to forget that one has ever believed the contrary. This demands a continuous alteration of the past, made possible by the system of thought which really embraces all the rest, and which is known in Newspeak as doublethink.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Well, yes.

Doublethink is just a method of continually deceiving oneself into believing that the contradictory thoughts one holds are true. And this is basically accomplished through tactics of willful ignorance and deception. I'm really failing to see how this type of thinking is anything short of delusional. If anything, it's a tendency for sloppy and solipsistic thinking that must be actively avoided.
    I think the quoted version is just one example of how it could be used, and it's extremely negative and specific. Even in the novel, there are better definitions.

garbage

To me, having two seemingly contradictory beliefs means that there's some 'greater' truth that I'm missing that either rules one of them out or encompasses both. Sometimes, I'm satisfied with not yet having found that overarching truth.

Often, when a greater truth encompasses two 'contradictory' beliefs, it becomes easy to shift one's mindset from one to the other whenever a situation or problem calls for it, perhaps by consciously tweaking assumptions or definitions. That flexibility becomes pretty handy--say, in problem-solving or in tracking with another person when they're presenting their own thoughts.

A particular mental model is just a particular abstraction of reality, anyway.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

No I don't.

I think from all angles and all perspectives I can think off, but there's always one 'belief' that I feel is closest to the truth, or at the very least holds the most meaning for me. And I don't see how I can possibly belief in two contradiction beliefs.

Even when the ultimate truth is unclear, I'd always be able to distinguish a path I feel is more important to me.

I think I'd experience the same as those robots in movies that are struggling between two contradictive directives and end up blowing up. Kabloowee!
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I always doublethink, except when I am angry. Drives my girlfriend insane and makes her angry, what makes me angry. We vent on the cat, which has left us for a 3 month health retreat
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INTj

"In all affairs it’s a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted."
    Bertrand Russell

I've taken that suggestion a lot further than anyone should.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    "In all affairs it’s a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted."
    Bertrand Russell

I've taken that suggestion a lot further than anyone should.
    I think it means people should cherish the things they take for granted more, not completely remove their value in a fit of paranoia. xD
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Does Double think only apply to value judgements?
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

MBTI
    FREE

I think this thread should be merged with the unfair moderation thread. It seems quite relevant.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    Does Double think only apply to value judgements?
    Usually that's where it's necessary. It can theoretically be applied to objective judgments, but it works best with value judgments, IME.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    I think this thread should be merged with the unfair moderation thread. It seems quite relevant.
    I guess it's about as relevant as some of the other stuff discussed on that thread (it gets pretty random at times), but why is this in particular relevant?

Do you think it would help people learn how to comply with forum policy better or something?