User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you use doublethink?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

22 53.66%
  • No.

14 34.15%
  • I don't know.

5 12.20%
First 91718192021 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Its a good exercise.
    Doublethink, with me, doubles the pleasure. It is pragmatic; flexible, even at its worst.
    Not to get caught up in semantics but “Double-conclusion” I think is more ominous and a more succinct word (if there is not such a word yet then now there is) to the hypocrisy portrayed in 1984.

It reminds me of the following...
    “I don’t know what you mean by ‘glory,’ ” Alice said.
    Humpty Dumpty smiled contemptuously. “Of course you don’t—till I tell you. I meant ‘there’s a nice knock-down argument for you!’ ”
    “But ‘glory’ doesn’t mean ‘a nice knock-down argument’,” Alice objected.
    “When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.”
    “The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.”
    “The question is,” said Humpty Dumpty, “which is to be master that’s all.”
    Alice was too much puzzled to say anything, so after a minute Humpty Dumpty began again. “They’ve a temper, some of them—particularly verbs, they’re the proudest—adjectives you can do anything with, but not verbs—however, I can manage the whole lot! Impenetrability! That’s what I say
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

Permabanned

I concede.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    I've seen it. And that's what the book (1984) was about...abusing power by controlling thoughts.
    I think I just did as well. I don't know..it was ugly.
    It was probably necessary...I was too curios/foolish to not to. Still am..might still be doing it.
    Flawed or not...that isn't something I can be..or do. I mean I can..but I'm not doing that.

I bet no one knows what I'm talking about. It needs to stay like that...
    Good news..I guess I have a new question now.."Why do people spend all their time wanting something that I don't want?" Hopefully there is an answer. A singular truth. Life continues.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

It reminds me more of this:

"I ca'n't believe that!" said Alice.

"Ca'n't you?" the Queen said in a pitying tone. "Try again: draw a long breath, and shut your eyes."

Alice laughed. "There's no use trying," she said "one ca'n't believe impossible things."

"I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    XXFP

You're awfully sure that the knowledge you have is so irreparably damaging to the psyche. I dunno, I'm sure other people have figured it out before, too, and lived to tell the tale.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

Permabanned

you know?

dont answer.

MBTI
    XXFP

Hey, it's ok. Just relax a little, it's probably not as bad as it seems.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by PH. View Post
    The thing itself doesn't, but in our heads it does.The thing is nothing more than an object. In our mind we make a subject of it, trying to get as close to the object as we can. Those two can get very contradictory.
    What? That doesn't make sense.

If our mind is the one in control of how we're perceiving the object, then, there's no contradiction within the mind, even if there's contradiction between what our mind perceives and the reality of the object - as long as there's consistency within our mind, it is not doublethink.

That's why I said "if we agree on". I'm not saying it's "true". I was just playing with the thought, what if it were limitless. I know a lot of people who don't believe in infinity. They think of everything as limited.
    What was limitless?

You are talking about the subject in a vague, evasive manner, but I'm not seeing you directly respond to the points raised by me to your initial post.

So if I said something strange, I blame our language differences.
    That's not a limit of our language barrier, it's a limit of the thoughts you're producing......as you clearly have enough grasp to hash out your thoughts, in the manner you've done thus far (such as they were).

So, it reads to me, as you being evasive by answering with a "non-answer", just for the pretense of answering.

Permabanned

You people suck...all of you. How do people do this to their children?
    lol
    You do this for fun...I'm so blind..I guess I'm doing it too...

I think I might just have to do it. And I'm only 21. I mean..why shouldn't I?

A window to the soul

Lightbulb War is Peace

The Encarta definition of 'doublethink' seems to be a synonym for 'paradox' where it would appear someone is contradicting themselves, but not necessarily so. Both terms seem loosely defined to me, as doublethink is defined as "consciously or unconsciously holding opposing ideas at the same time" and paradox as, "seemingly self-contradictory" ideas/qualities. But again, the opposing ideas may in fact be true. For example, when someone says "war is peace". That fits the Encarta definition of both doublethink and paradox, as far as I understand. I don't have a good feel for the connotations of these two words, nor do I recall reading Goerge Orwell's novel, so my thoughts on this may not make sense to everyone. Depending on how you look at the statement "war is peace", it is in fact a true statement (when looking at it as a "cause and effect"). I think the beauty of it is that 'doublethink' makes us think. :)

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Hey, cool, I didn't know there's a word for this!

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    do you use doublethink?
    Yes. Except that I'm not completely sure if the beliefs are 100% contradictions. For example, I can reason that I am 100% determined and that I have 100% free will, but to do this I need to use two different perspectives. So, I'm not actually sure if it is possible to use one perspective and doublethink.

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Do you find that it helps you deal better with some aspects of your life to do so?
    Yes. It is an extremely important tool for creating a peace of mind. I guess I would never have gotten rid of my anxiety concerning existential problems without it. Besides, to see the opposing views as equally true means that your perception is clean of presumptions.