• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Techniques to improve pace of comprehension and understanding

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Ooh the eye exercises are really fun. Especially the vision perception ones. Thanks for the interesting and original thread concept.

S

sammy

I'm going to take a look at the eye exercises and reading comprehension when I'm more awake :)

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
Some people find mind mapping helpful.

This has practical tips.

You can use it for free-form brainstorming, or for logical, thought-out planning.

ygolo

My termites win
Some people find mind mapping helpful.

This has practical tips.

You can use it for free-form brainstorming, or for logical, thought-out planning.

I downloaded FreeMind and did three levels of mind-mapping on this subject. Of-coarse many of the things on the map are important for their own sake, not just to improve comprehension, but they are there.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
I downloaded FreeMind and did three levels of mind-mapping on this subject. Of-coarse many of the things on the map are important for their own sake, not just to improve comprehension, but they are there.

Someone I work with uses that sort of software. I quite like it - it's a nice change from formal project plans (ugh) as it's more similar to how I think.

And thanks for doing that mind map. I like how you ordered it - it makes sense. As in, how you ordered it added a lot of depth to it for me. My mind does that sort of thing automatically, but it takes time. I've just noticed that your map has short-cutted (er, real word? not sure, I'm unwell and not thinking entirely clearly today) that process. Nice. :)

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
Does anyone know of tricks and techniques to understand things quickly?

DeBono (of lateral thinking fame) had some thoughts:

The de Bono Group

There is also Polya's classic.

There was this also FWIW.

Countless reading conprehenssion tips exist.

There are concentration and memory tips.

There are even eye exercises.

Any other resources?

I typed a long response and then pressed the back button with my mouse and lost it. That was the third time today. :ranting:

I have tons of resources. I will post a little later.