• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

There are basicly two types of people

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Right....

Anyways, i did plenty of study on psychology, and i know there are distinct reasons to why people act the way they do. I am interested in the science of opinions and how they are formed. If you wanna argue with me the reasons i described in my article do it. But If you want to stick to one personality theory your whole life, great. Some people want to discuss different ideas on different things and maybe make progress.

the problem, munchies, is how you're coming into this. it's your attitude of thinking that if we all don't respond to your idea the exact way you think we should, then we have a problem. you might have done plenty of study; guess what, i have a degree! and i love to discuss theories. but this one doesn't seem to hold much weight. it's riddled with definitional problems and logic gaps, not to mention no real empirical evidence to back it up. i'm impressed that you spent time coming up with this. i think it's really cool that you did. but i still don't think it holds any water.

if you want to discuss theory of opinions, that's awesome, and interesting, let's talk about it! but you phrased all of this as a given from the get-go and then got pissed at us when we disagreed. i spent half an hour writing an in-depth reply to you and you haven't even bothered to address any of my points. it seems like your opinion is that we ought to agree and praise you, and if we don't, then we're apparently closed-minded. it's really, truly ironic.

:shrug:

Jenaphor said:
There are two types of people in the world, the type that shares my worldview and the other retarded kind...

:yes:

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't have a degree. I was born this way.

cool_emoticon.jpg

rav3n

No, no, not neccesarily... Ah, I has a solution!

I issue an added dichotomy to yours. Beying on a level far beyond that of the seperate masses inside your dichotomy, I stand above it.

There is me, on top. And there is everyone else below, who are seperated by your dichotomy!
No, this model does not fit my worldview. You're one of those!

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No, this model does not fit my worldview. You're one of those!

It does not fit your worldview because it is outside of the box, your box, duh! ;P

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I thought there were six types of people....oh wait...there's six types of women. :doh:

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I don't want to speak for the forum, so I will qualify that this might just be me, but, I think most people are just dismissing you out of hand, not because they are sheeple and are afraid of your ideas, so much as they don't find your theory worth exploring. They explore all kinds of other, deeper theories all the time, many people (on this forum, at least) aren't afraid to dig deeper. There's just not a lot there to dig for.

But assuming that's wrong, it might just because they way you framed, and maintained the dialogue was not conducive to a productive discussion, so maybe try and work on presentation, I don't know, I am not much of a thread starter myself.

It could also be both, or neither.

G

garbage

There are actually reasons and an argument but this forum doesn't like to inquire much, so everyone just quickly looks at it, judges it, walks away to the next thing.

Is it closed-minded to assume that people on this forum are not listening to your rationale? Perhaps they are listening to your rationale and deciding that there are faults with it.

Moreover, is there another, perhaps more concise and less meandering way to present your ideas? You may have more buy-in if you can present your line of reasoning in a clearer way.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't have a degree. I was born this way.

cool_emoticon.jpg

i have that song stuck in my head right now.

OOH there ain't no other way
baby i was born this way
BABY I WAS BORN THIS WAYYYYYYY
BORN THIS WA-YY
ooh there ain't no other way
baby i was born this way
i'm on the right track baby
i was born this way hayyyy

sculpting

There are 2 kinds of people;

-The people who either believe or disbelieve things based on emotion/logic(same thing, since the conclusion is a belief, this means the logic is purely directed by emotion since the extent of the logic used to gather information is based on the extent of your emotional connection to the need to figure out more... this process which will be guide towards the conclusion of either be left open to possibility, or closed to an unconditional belief- the latter being the more illogical one. These people are easily manipulatable, you can mold your opinions in their heads by simply giving your one sided version of the story to convince them... When the opinion reaches the majority, it now becomes the standard.

-OR.... the people who are on a more open minded spectrum, more need for more information is the emotional drive for the thinking process. On the farther side of the spectrum... some people can become so open minded to drift into the infinity and be labelled insane, but the more grounded ones are labelled geniuses.

Elaborate/clarify the section below please...? oh wait nevermind I see.

and so the person with more emotional need to find out more information could be perceived as more open minded.
And the person who doesn't not feel the need to have much information to have a belief can be considered closed minded

I suspect you are capturing aspects of Jungs version of individuals who lead with the "rational" vs "irrational" functions in the dominant position. "Rational" being the judging functions and "irrational" being the perceiving functions. This is not J vs P, but rather T/F vs N/S.

Interestingly the ties back into emotional impetus are kinda similar to something Eric B posted awhile back regarding why we tend to favor development of one dominant function over another-he proposed a feeling of emotional security when we use the dom function, thus prompting us to use it more and more and thus become very good at using it...didnt follow up on that thread though...

(assuming I understood what you were getting at)

sculpting

Here you can read here: http://psychclassics.yorku.ca/Jung/types.htm

Starting at section 5 to 8 are the descriptions are where the comparisons between the rational and irrational begin-at least for the extroverts.

This is towards the end but describes how the two interact:

"This point brings me to the problem of the psychic relation between the representatives of the different types. Following the terminology of the French school of hypnotists, the psychic relation among the more modern psychiatrists is termed I 'rapport'. Rapport chiefly consists in a feeling of actual accord, in spite of recognised differences. In fact, the recognition of existing differences, in so far as they are common to both, is already a rapport, a feeling of accord. If we make this feeling conscious to a rather high degree in an actual case, we discover that it has not merely the quality of a feeling that cannot be analysed further, but it also has the nature of an insight or cognitional content, representing the point of agreement in a conceptual form.

This rational presentation is exclusively valid for the rational types; it by no means applies to the irrational, whose rapport is based not at all upon judgment but upon the parallelism of actual living events. His feeling of accord is the common perception of a sensation or intuition.

The rational would say that rapport with the irrational depends purely upon chance. If, by some accident, the objective situations are exactly in tune, something like a human relationship takes place, but nobody can tell what will be either its validity or its duration. To the rational type it is often a very bitter thought that the relationship will last only just so long as external circumstances accidentally produce a mutual interest.

This does not occur to him as being especially human, whereas it is precisely in this situation that the irrational sees a humanity of quite singular beauty. Accordingly each regards the other as a man destitute of relationships, upon whom no reliance can be placed, and with whom one can never get on decent terms.

Such a result, however, is reached only when one consciously tries to make some estimate of the nature of one's relationships with one's fellow-men.

Although a psychological conscientiousness of [p. 471] this kind is by no means usual, yet it frequently happens that, notwithstanding an absolute difference of standpoint, a kind of rapport does take place, and in the following way. The one assumes with unspoken projection that the other is, in all essential points, of the same opinion as himself, while the other divines or senses an objective community of interest, of which, however, the former has no conscious inkling and whose existence he would at once dispute, just as it would never occur to the latter that his relationship must rest upon a common point-of-view. A rapport of this kind is by far the most frequent; it rests upon projection, which is the source of many subsequent misunderstandings."

I always thought the last part in red was quite interesting.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Kinda funny that a guy who makes a thread about 2 types of people in a forum that categorizes people into 4x4 types is being made fun of. But well, it's the magic 4, noone can resist it :D

What is wrong with saying that people are dull? :D

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
"m not judging anything else what you say than what you say about there being basically two types of people. use 5 minutes on studying personality psychology "

i assumed you meant MBTI or something since this is a personality psychology site based on a certain theory, it was naturally for me to assume that since what other personality psychology would i look at? thats a subjective term and can coincide with any personality theory. knowhatimean

maybe you shouldnt just assume? and dunno if it was natural for you to assume that much, if it was, you should definitely cut down the assumptions. personality psychology isnt an subjective term, its an actual branch of psychology http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personality_psychology . this isnt an personality psychology site, this is a personality typology site thats concentrating on typologies based on jungs psychological types and little on enneagram. i have taken university course on personality psychology and MBTI and jungs typology was just a very small part of it.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
What is wrong with saying that people are dull? :D

Nottin, I am just not used to it being done so publicly and by so many. Where I come from you can get in serious troubles for discrediting someone :/. need to be more tricky here and subtle if you really want to tell someone he sucks :D

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Nottin, I am just not used to it being done so publicly and by so many. Where I come from you can get in serious troubles for discrediting someone :/. need to be more tricky here and subtle if you really want to tell someone he sucks :D

But I am saying ALL people must be boring :D.

Munchies

MBTI Type
XNXP
Enneagram
OMG
Instinctual Variant
sx
Elaborate/clarify the section below please...? oh wait nevermind I see.

I suspect you are capturing aspects of Jungs version of individuals who lead with the "rational" vs "irrational" functions in the dominant position. "Rational" being the judging functions and "irrational" being the perceiving functions. This is not J vs P, but rather T/F vs N/S.

Interestingly the ties back into emotional impetus are kinda similar to something Eric B posted awhile back regarding why we tend to favor development of one dominant function over another-he proposed a feeling of emotional security when we use the dom function, thus prompting us to use it more and more and thus become very good at using it...didnt follow up on that thread though...

(assuming I understood what you were getting at)

You really do understand. But no i didn't make this theory in relation to jungs theory mentioned above... although it's pretty similar :)

I'll give though-rough reply when i get the time for intense thinking. I just didn't want you to feel unappreciated for those two posts, because they were outstanding.