User Tag List

First 123 Last

Not sure I agree with it. I admire opera singers but there's no way in hell, developed or not, I could ever hope to match the depth and breath of their vocal abilities and sheer lung capacity. Not a singer by any stretch of the imagination.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Well IRL I think I *am* actually more restrained and diplomatic than I appear here (like waaaaaay more) ...but I'm still pretty emotional, and I really admire people who have a strong grip over their emotions...and I don't necessarily mean Ts when I say that...I've seen ENTJs and INTPs who seem a bit impulsive to jump on somebody just like I am....INTJs and INFJs and ISFJs seem MUCH less likely to do so...not that they don't, but I admire the appearance of it all the same.

I really don't think I have that trait. I'm too inclined to be expressive and fear repression, or "enabling."

MBTI
    INTe

I lack and admire ascetic self-discipline.
    I lack and admire the capacity to approach events in life with ZERO plan yet without anxiety.
    I lack and sometimes admire the ability to suffer fools gladly.
    Peel off the napkin
    O my enemy.
    Do I terrify?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    Same here. I don't immediately admire 'kind' people for example. This is an example of a quality I know I possess to a good degree. I guess its one of those qualities I take for granted and sometimes feel like anybody could be kind so what's special about it?

Interesting. I've never thought about it like that but you may be right. I'm trying to find examples of traits that I know I completely lack, yet admire in others and I can't think of any examples. I can think of qualities I lack that I don't admire in others far more easily.

It's interesting to see the ESFP perspective because I would never think to admire curiosity. For me, its always been a quality I've had in spades, that I take for granted. I used to wrongly assume others would possess it to the level I did and disappointed to find they didn't.
    Yea, you wouldn't think to admire anything that is so easy for you. It's like admiring someone who speaks English. For me, I can only be truly interested and curious in a topic if there's been a goal given to me. (Career, money, grade, or even some internal goal that I've set.) Then, curiosity actually comes along naturally. Since there are actually a wide variety of topics that you can learn with a "goal", I can actually become interested in a wide variety of topics. But it's always fascinating to me when I hear an xNTP talking about something absolutely random in great detail, and had gone deeply into the topic without any apparent reason. Even then, I'm less inclined to actually hear what they're saying and more inclined to sit there thinking. "That's interesting. What planet is this person from?"

Edit: But then if someone was to come up to me and say, learn as much as you can about Hinduism in 24 hours and then you're going to get a timed, graded essay test on it, and you're up against an INTP- well then, all of a sudden I'd be interested in learning.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Greta View Post
    I lack and sometimes admire the ability to suffer fools gladly.
    Yeah, I think this is kind of what I was getting at, as well as people who have a stronger grip on their feelings.

I've always loved the line, "It takes a man to suffer ignorance and smile"" in "Englishman in New York" by Sting.

It always makes me think, I need to marry that man he's describing.

MBTI
    INTe

It is very attractive.
    *says serenity prayer*
    *is a non-believer*
    /fail
    Peel off the napkin
    O my enemy.
    Do I terrify?

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    I agree partially. Qualities that I admire in others are ones that I at least feel like I can strive for. I had mentioned in the thread about "looking like another type" that the types of people I admire have qualities that I see in myself, that just aren't as developed as I want them to be. It's more exciting to look up to someone when you think that perhaps someday, you can achieve whatever they have achieved.
    Yeah I can definitely relate to admiring traits in others which aren't as developed in ourselves. Hm.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    the characteristics we admire in others are in fact characteristics we already posses but don’t recognize in ourselves.

What do you think of this? Have you noticed it in your life or noticed it in other people? I don't know if I believe it/agree with it or not based on my own experience...
    I have noticed this. I think that the best indication of who we are is what we admire combined with how we forsee ourselves to be. We don't become a different person with age, we simply develop already-existing preferences and skills. At least, that's how it seems to work... I would like to hear some more about this.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

I tend to most admire traits that I myself do not wish to obtain, at least not in any grand capacity. I admire things like kindness and altruism, actually I tend to admire a lot of INFJ traits, sure don't wanna be one tho.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I'm trying to think who I do admire atm....I tend to admire people with strong leadership skills, who remain unshakble (not a quality I think I'll ever have...but I think I'm getting closer.) People who know who they are...I think this is more of an untapped quality of mine, and personal strength, a quality I think I'm learning to grasp, although I'm told I have this in spades. Don't see it.
    I also totally admire people who follow through on thier personal convictions and don't kow tow to the mob, admittedly. This is a very rare trait though...I'm talking about people who run off to save orangutangs, or change a law or something like that. People who pick a real battle and make a difference, or die trying.
    I also admire people who say, are scientists who are exhibiting thier lastest paintings in a gallery, or accountants that become writers, or a young solo mother who becomes a high powered excutive etc....people who step out of the box.
    Maybe those are untapped qualities of mine? I wouldn't know.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]