User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    5w4

Question Active Imagination: a question

I have been tempted to do this for quite some time, thanks to some exposure to Jung's works on this subject...but I'm concerned about the consequences of having the internal communication between the conscious and the unconscious occur, especially the flight from reality [Te protesting at this point!]. Should I try to do this anyway? Also: does the dominant cognitive function affect the way we can react to this activity?
    “To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man or even for any one age. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty, & leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of any thing.”—Statement from unpublished notes for the Preface to the Opticks (1704) by Newton.

What do you think about me? And for the darker side, here.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

You worry too much, just do it for christ's sake :P INTJs...

There's nothing bad with opening up to the imaginary flow. Honestly.
    How can it be an escape from reality? The imagination is obviously a part of you, and as such very real.
    Get your meaning though.

Of course the dominant function will affect the way you react to it. As does everything that's a part of you.
    Think for a moment about Plato's "allegory of the cave".
    (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegory_of_the_Cave, if you don't know it)

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    5w4

Another question: how do we know that our conscious system is communicating to the unconscious? It sounds impossible, given the inaccessibility of the unconscious to our conscious selves.
    “To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man or even for any one age. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty, & leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of any thing.”—Statement from unpublished notes for the Preface to the Opticks (1704) by Newton.

What do you think about me? And for the darker side, here.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    ENFJ

I don't see why you shouldn't, unless you have had psychotic experiences and/or are diagnosed with borderline personality disorder. Then it could be harmful, otherwise not.
    How you know that it occurs? This is a language of symbols in my experience. If, when you think about a specific person, the image of a shrimp or a sinking boat suddenly pops up, it could be a message from the unconscious (unless they are actual memories, of course). Then you can explore the images further by asking yourself what shrimps or sinking boats mean to you, and how this is related to him/her. This happens naturally in dreams - the dreams are a bridge between conscious and unconscious. You can get a similar effect by using (guided) meditations and drawing pictures of the images you get or write them down.

ThatGirl

I don't get it.

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Imagination is the First step to Ni.. If you don't open your mind to new ideas and concepts you will not be able to synthesize new concepts and ideas. Imagination allows you to make connections you might otherwise miss and most importantly , imagination opens you to the realm of limitless possibilities.
    Your Subconscious is your Ni talking to you.
    INTJ's might not want to ignore their Dom Function, then.
    Just saying.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by syndatha View Post
    I don't see why you shouldn't, unless you have had psychotic experiences and/or are diagnosed with borderline personality disorder. Then it could be harmful, otherwise not.
    How you know that it occurs? This is a language of symbols in my experience. If, when you think about a specific person, the image of a shrimp or a sinking boat suddenly pops up, it could be a message from the unconscious (unless they are actual memories, of course). Then you can explore the images further by asking yourself what shrimps or sinking boats mean to you, and how this is related to him/her. This happens naturally in dreams - the dreams are a bridge between conscious and unconscious. You can get a similar effect by using (guided) meditations and drawing pictures of the images you get or write them down.
    That's an interesting idea... let me try something.

My father. A tarot card, "The Emperor" is the first thing that comes to mind, but it's inverted. I see another image, that of a corrupt, hypocritical Catholic priest who accepts bribes and punishes others for things he himself indulges in. The next image that comes to mind, is of a smooth-talking, intelligent gangster, who has had a rough life and has learned to use guile and strength to get by. He is cruel, but still kinder than many of those around him.

Now I see yet another image. A child, running from something... in the rain. Endlessly running. He never stops, he never looks back. He only focuses on what's ahead of him. He is terrified of whatever is behind him, and he never wants to set eyes on it again. But he isn't just running from the past, or something specific, he's running from himself... he is too terrified to look inside.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    That's an interesting idea... let me try something.

My father. A tarot card, "The Emperor" is the first thing that comes to mind, but it's inverted. I see another image, that of a corrupt, hypocritical Catholic priest who accepts bribes and punishes others for things he himself indulges in. The next image that comes to mind, is of a smooth-talking, intelligent gangster, who has had a rough life and has learned to use guile and strength to get by. He is cruel, but still kinder than many of those around him.

Now I see yet another image. A child, running from something... in the rain. Endlessly running. He never stops, he never looks back. He only focuses on what's ahead of him. He is terrified of whatever is behind him, and he never wants to set eyes on it again. But he isn't just running from the past, or something specific, he's running from himself... he is too terrified to look inside.
    You're suppose to do the interpretation yourself - it depends on what these symbols mean to you...
    But my guess is that your relationship with your dad is not the best - strict upbringing, someone whose rules changed all the time, in a way a child couldn't comprehend. You keep running because you're afraid you may recognise some of your father's qualities in yourself. Rain=grief?
    But of course I may have no idea what I'm talking about
    I have no sense of humour.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by syndatha View Post
    You're suppose to do the interpretation yourself - it depends on what these symbols mean to you...
    But my guess is that your relationship with your dad is not the best - strict upbringing, someone whose rules changed all the time, in a way a child couldn't comprehend. You keep running because you're afraid you may recognise some of your father's qualities in yourself. Rain=grief?
    But of course I may have no idea what I'm talking about
    Well, incidentally... most of that is correct, except that I think the child could also represent my father himself. I just realized that I see him as someone who is never introspective, doesn't know himself at all... someone who is always trying to avoid what's inside, and focus on controlling the outer world. Running in the rain could represent someone who flees from their own emotions, and doesn't try to understand them, even when they are consumed by them.

It could be that I have something in common with him, though... but I run in the opposite direction, into myself away from the outside world.

Anyway, it was an interesting exercise, though.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Thisica View Post
    Another question: how do we know that our conscious system is communicating to the unconscious? It sounds impossible, given the inaccessibility of the unconscious to our conscious selves.
    How do we know we have an unconscious?