• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I'm becoming homophonic

Martoon

perdu fleur par bologne
MBTI Type
INTP
Lately, when typing, I've been accidentally substituting words with other words that sound the same (but have a different meaning and spelling). And I don't mean the common confusion of you're vs your, or there, their, and they're (those I always get right). I mean things like actually typing "I'll" when I mean "aisle". This has been happening over the past several months, but ramping up even more recently.

One thing this has brought to my attention is the strong degree to which I hear words as I write. I have very introverted thinking. I have a lot of clarity and agility in my internal thought processes, but much less so when it comes to communicating my thoughts. It seems that I need to, in essence, consciously "think out loud" inside my head to figure out how to communicate what I know and understand internally.

Do other introverted thinkers find that they think aurally when writing, like I do? And does anyone have any ideas on why I would be mixing up these homophones more often recently? I have been more tired and distracted lately, and have more difficulty focusing.

6sticks

MBTI Type
istp
I know I tried experimenting with aural sets to lessen my homophonia. Worked like a charm.

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
Homophones are a sign of intelligence, at least in my experience, unless they are your aforementioned common ones, which indicate lower intelligence or poor English skills.

Though not an introverted thinker, I often think in such a way. Due to my age, typing something is as good as hearing it in my mind. It's almost an extension of my thoughts, but the interface is too slow to keep up. Much like verbal communications, only worse.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have had some issues in the last few years (especially when tired) where I do the same sort of thing... or even just start replacing the words I planned to use with words that are similar but not even quite the same in pronounciation.

It's sort of disconcerting because I don't even realize I've done it -- I feel like I typed everything correctly -- until I go back and read what I've wrote...

So I don't know. Stress obviously plays a factor, and tiredness.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
gah i could have swore this said homophobic. I was reading as was like..wtf does any of this have to do with homophobia?

anyway, i do stuff like this often. I'm not an introverted thinker, but i do write aurally.

i also Sometimes just get ahead of myself and forget to type whole words. Instead of "the" i'll just type t.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I do this, of course I was diagonosed as a kid with written expressive disorder.If I'm talking while writing and I'm saying what I'm writing I'll write something different. like if I say cat I might write elephant instead. I'd be doing homework and I'd say the right answer but write down something totally different. It's like what I'm thinking in my head my hand is thinking something totally different. I also leave out words because I could have sworn I wrote them and then realize I left out whole sentences.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
Homophones are a sign of intelligence, at least in my experience, unless they are your aforementioned common ones, which indicate lower intelligence or poor English skills.

Excuuuuuse me!:shock:

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
gah i could have swore this said homophobic. I was reading as was like..wtf does any of this have to do with homophobia?

anyway, i do stuff like this often. I'm not an introverted thinker, but i do write aurally.

me too :huh: maybe its time for me to shut down

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:rofl1: I was wondering who was becoming a homophobe! :yim_rolling_on_the_

I'm dyslexic (not severely, just like GW Bush :sick:), so my spelling is screwy in the first place, but I often do mix up words that are homophones as well :sad: And spellcheck doesn't catch that!

Martoon

perdu fleur par bologne
MBTI Type
INTP
So intelligence correlates directly to the obscurity of your homophones?

I think I like that theory, considering I've confused "I'll" with "aisle".

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Yeah, I've been doing this more and more, too. It started happening when I started IMing and frequenting forums often. I never did it in school or writing papers or anything. I don't know the cause of it, but it drives me freaking nuts.