• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

contentment = giving up

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
does being content with life mean that you've given up on working towards something better? :huh:

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
I don't think so. I think it means giving up on being disappointed if you don't get it.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
does being content with life mean that you've given up on working towards something better? :huh:

I think if you're TRULY content, that means you think your life is pretty darn good as it is and see no need in the moment to work towards something better. :) So how could you be 'giving up' if you're really happy with how things are?

I think if you are merely comfortable/secure, but also have a nagging feeling of boredom or are trying to convince yourself that things are fine as-is or 'should' be fine, when deep down you don't really feel that way, then you're not really content and thus could work towards something better.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Content comes from the French word "Content" which means Happy or pleased. So, being content is being happy, which is rarely a bad thing.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
the man seems so effortlessly content with most of his life that I'm kind of jealous... I'm starting to think I'm defective or something :doh:

how the fuck do people just have that sense of stillness that they just CAN be content with something?

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
It's like, I tell that side of me that keeps searching through the nothing expecting to find something but only finding more nothing. "Maybe the reason I am finding nothing in the nothing is because there is only nothing to find there".
So I become content. Or do I? No, not really, and then, I start digging through the nothing again , determined to find that elusive "more".
Your man just accepts that there is nothing else. Some people just can't accept that. Some people never find it but some do. Some don't care, what they have is good enough and why mess with a good thing?

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
the man seems so effortlessly content with most of his life that I'm kind of jealous... I'm starting to think I'm defective or something :doh:

how the fuck do people just have that sense of stillness that they just CAN be content with something?

haha.. I do know what you mean. I'm always happy when I reach a Phase/period for a while of contentment. It's never permanent, though. I eventually become discontent/restless with some aspect of my life (often tied to jobs, to a lesser degree hobbies and travels) and then am in need of change - or at least something new to add into the mix and keep things interesting and keep me learning/growing. I'm a very curious person who always needs new things on the horizon. Stagnation is the worst state for me to be in.

I think for some people (you, me?), we'll probably never hit a permanent state of being fine from here on out, no changes, doing the same thing in and out for the rest of our lives. But for other people, I think that brings them a great sense of happiness - having that solidity and predictability.

But I think it's a fine balance, too - finding some acceptance/peace with some of the facts/realities of Life, and the fact that much of life is going to involve more of these 'flatter' regions, but that's ok and you just move to something new when you're ready, or else realize that maybe it's ok not to forever reach for more --a bit to onemoretime's point, I think.

Jaguar

I've always been in a state of divine discontent. I wouldn't want it any other way.
If I was ever content, it would be time to cash in the chips.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
yes... nothing worse than stagnation. If I know what's going to happen tommorrow what's the point of living through it? :huh:

and there is the valid point that there's so MUCH out there to learn that it's impossible to be happy with what you already know and what you have already experienced. It kind of seems unfair that life is so short... I hope there really is reincarnation... but then again, what's the point if I'm not going to reap the benefits of my previous experiences I guess :laugh:

Jaguar

There is no right answer. But there is a right answer, for you.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I suppose that means knowing the right questions to ask :sadbanana:

G

Ginkgo

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkJNyQfAprY"].[/YOUTUBE]

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
It's about what motivates you. Some people enjoy stability, some people thrive in facing new challenges daily. The danger of being content is that you get in a rut and become complacent. The danger of pushing yourself higher and higher is that you don't stop to enjoy the fruits of your success.

I used to work for a company where they expect every employee to achieve a yearly performance that is worthy of promotion regardless of whether there is an opening in the org chart. It was basically "Move Up or Move Out"

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
No, in my experience they're far from being equivalent. There's one situation which causes their sinergy: when/if you were working towards something which was basically impossible to obtain, and-or would have required an enormous amount of sacrifices. In that case, giving up can lead to contentment, but I would argue that it can still be considered as an emotionally positive setting.