User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    No I don't believe they are the same thing. I'm very content with my life. Why not, it's a great life? That doesn't mean I don't strive to make it better every day, make improvements when needed, etc but I do enjoy what I have.
    I think this is a fantastic, constructive way to look at it. Most of us, myself included, believe that contentment leads to stagnation and no longer trying to improve. Is this true? Are these necessarily mutually exclusive? Can we be content, but also improving, like Ceecee says? I would like to think so!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I think maybe gratitude for what you have in your life (bad stuff as well as the good) is a part of contentment. It's a mindset of appreciation for what is.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by mochajava View Post
    I think this is a fantastic, constructive way to look at it. Most of us, myself included, believe that contentment leads to stagnation and no longer trying to improve. Is this true? Are these necessarily mutually exclusive? Can we be content, but also improving, like Ceecee says? I would like to think so!
    Well, this is how look at it, and I think we definitely can. I mean, again, if you're really, truly content and happy, why would you NEED to improve immediately? What exactly would be the motivation? You know? If you're very happy and satisfied with your life, doesn't that say a whole lot right there? That you have reached this place/point? And again, if/when something creeps in that becomes dissatisfying, or you get to a point where you are no longer content, isn't that THEN the time to look towards making improvements and changing and actively trying to work towards something that will again bring you to a new level of satisfaction?

I see all of this as pretty fluid.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INFP

Being content and giving up are two separate things, but something you've witnessed or experienced in your life has caused you to draw a connection between the two (if you believe it; I'm not sure if you do based on the OP).

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Restlessness is a hard habit to kick... Especially when its related to needing more data and experience input both. Some people will never have enough stuff, some will never know enough and some can never experience enough... Its always been like that... Its the people who are content who are mysteriously fascinating somehow!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    yupp

I'm happy if I have a roof over my head, friends to hang out with, money in the bank, and access to books/movies.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

contentment = giving up? Hardly.

It means I am(or others) ok with what I have.

It is sort of like comparing two people who have different standards on what the two believe to be living.

One person might believe that having the fine things in life means to live happily. This person works to get a high paying job, works to get a nice house, nice car, and nice living accessories. I mean, this person could very well be living happily.

The other person, however, believes that what he has right now is living. And just because he isn't rich and living the life, doesn't mean he is any less happy or giving up on life. This person is ok with what is in front of him, the people around him, the house he lives in, the neighborhood he lives in, the pace of life he lives in (whether it changes constantly or not.) Money becomes less of an issue.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    does being content with life mean that you've given up on working towards something better?
    Think you've confused *acceptance* for contentment, IMO.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    T9W1

I don't think so. When you have everything but the desire for more is still there rather than the peace of contentment that you'd expect it really makes you wonder.