User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 39

  1. #21
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Well, I can tell you that there have been many times I've given up working for something better, and it didn't make me content... so I would assume it's not.

    I think that some people are just more naturally content than others. They just want comfort and familiarity. But a lot of us aren't built like that, even if we try to pretend that we are.

  2. #22
    Senior Member ceecee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    9,736

    Default

    No I don't believe they are the same thing. I'm very content with my life. Why not, it's a great life? That doesn't mean I don't strive to make it better every day, make improvements when needed, etc but I do enjoy what I have.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,390

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    And you were inaccurate in your assessment.
    No, your opinion differs from mine, this is not a matter of inaccuracy.

    It is very easy to see how in our information rich age that people expect 'more new information all the time' leading to a reduction in people valuing contentment.

    Of course, consumerism has the same effect; it's very narrow minded to apply that these affects are mutually exclusive..

  4. #24
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    No, your opinion differs from mine, this is not a matter of inaccuracy.

    It is very easy to see how in our information rich age that people expect 'more new information all the time' leading to a reduction in people valuing contentment.

    Of course, consumerism has the same effect; it's very narrow minded to apply that these affects are mutually exclusive..
    It's inaccurate because within the historical context, the influences that have diminished the value of contentment did not significantly change with the rise of the information economy. They are the same ones that arose with the consumerist economy in the 1900s, and especially following the Great Depression and World War II. It isn't information that drives the lack of contentment; it's the pervasive idea that you can't be happy without more, which is an advertising technique of the consumerist era.

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,390

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    It's inaccurate because within the historical context, the influences that have diminished the value of contentment did not significantly change with the rise of the information economy. They are the same ones that arose with the consumerist economy in the 1900s, and especially following the Great Depression and World War II. It isn't information that drives the lack of contentment; it's the pervasive idea that you can't be happy without more, which is an advertising technique of the consumerist era.
    Are we really being so facetious as to apply a discount factor to our current society to 'pawn off' blame to the past?

    'I can't do anything about it because of Genghis Khan.'

  6. #26
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    Are we really being so facetious as to apply a discount factor to our current society to 'pawn off' blame to the past?

    'I can't do anything about it because of Genghis Khan.'
    No. It's more like "meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,390

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    No. It's more like "meet the new boss, same as the old boss"
    Perhaps if you indulged in more solipsism you would actuate and thus understand the economic factors at play.

  8. #28
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    Perhaps if you indulged in more solipsism you would actuate and thus understand the economic factors at play.
    Perhaps if you took a moment away from navel gazing to look at the present in its entire historical context, you'd understand which economic factors are relevant

  9. #29
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,782

    Default

    You will never be truly happy settled down, you'll always want something new. I don't know how to solve this, especially things considered. All I know is if you ever have kids (which I doubt, but if you do) I could totally see you leaving them and running away to a different country. Not because you didn't love them
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  10. #30
    Iron Maiden fidelia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx
    Posts
    11,122

    Default

    Contentment is different than being complacent or apathetic. I do think it's unlikely that an ESTP is ever going to feel the same amount of complete satisfaction with things as they are compared to an ISTJ. On the other hand, I don't think anyone must have an inner nagging restless, rolling stone gathers no moss compulsion at all times if they are contented.

    I've come to believe that that sense of inner relaxation and peacefulness comes largely from having your need for secure attachment to others addressed. Otherwise, it's like an alarm bell that has been going on for a long time, but the hearer of it was not able to remedy the situation. Therefore, after much time goes by, they cease to register it as a call to action anymore and it just becomes a low level constant anxiety that makes them restless and uncomfortable without knowing why. They then need to seek outside stimulation to quell it temporarily, but whenever they are alone it comes back. They may try to numb those feelings away by substance abuse, food, screen time, porn, music, work or remaining incredibly busy, but it always comes back. An increasing number of people in our society are dealing with this sense of restlessness and lack of contentment. They tend to believe that a change of person or situation in their lives will be the answer and are disappointed when it is not. I believe true contentment involves addressing your basic needs, so that you have the energy left over to care for and interact with those around you. In the process of allowing others to care for your needs, and learning to care for others', a sense of trust and ability to be vulnerable with them develops and attachment roots can go down deeper.

    That, however, is separate from what you find satisfying or what kinds of pursuits attract you. Any of the ESTPs I know seem to be happiest when they have 100 things going at once. They are like border collies that start chewing on the table legs if you don't give them something productive to do - smart, but need lots to occupy their time and attention or they become destructive.

    In short, I think that it is possible to be ambitious or wanting to stretch yourself as a person, while still being basically contented.

Similar Threads

  1. I Give Up
    By Glycerine in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-10-2011, 01:27 PM
  2. Giving up coffee
    By Mole in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: 04-17-2009, 09:23 PM
  3. This year for Lent, I am giving up...
    By Halla74 in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-10-2009, 02:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO