User Tag List

First 1234 Last

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I'm not sure about Ignore yet, for my use. I used it for the first time about a week ago, for two people that collectively pushed me over the edge. One of them started having meaningful comments again right away, for some strange reason, and I took that individual off ignore after a few minutes. The other's still there for now, and it's kinda nice.

I'm not sure if I'll use the function more or stop using it in the future. Probably use it on occasion for a very few people. Even trolls can be interesting, so I don't feel an urge to ignore most people. It's just if they're profoundly boring as well as angering, it's just not worth it.

In general though, I'm open to having my opinion changed about someone, but it takes a lot of positive factors after I form a strong negative opinion. That's often because people usually continue to act in similar ways, though. A douchebag today is more likely than not to be a douchebag tomorrow.
    -end of thread-

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I have never used the ignore function... even for posters that I really dislike/think are assholes because that would spoil the flow of threads for me. I just roll my eyes at the posts of posters who I dislike... much easier and good exercise for the occipital muscles!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I've never used the ignore function nor do I plan on doing so in the future. If anything, I'm more interested in reading posts by members that bother me than I am in posts by ordinary members. It's like a type of titillation.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    I don't like the ignore feature simply because I like to know what's going on and it bothers me when I don't. If I felt very riled up by what it was they were saying, to the point where it affected other spots in my life, or if I felt compelled to have useless exchanges with them that took up pages of a bunch of threads, I could see using it. I don't think in that case it would have a detrimental effect. Just as in real life you decide some people are too much to deal with directly, sometimes that is true online as well.
    This.

I have been tempted to use ignore on several occasions but I always stop myself. One has to learn to deal with trolls (or simply unpleasant people) online just as one must IRL. How can I learn restraint and to deal with criticism if I refuse to face such people? I don't see the appeal of remaining blissfully ignorant.

Besides I've discovered that people that have irritated me greatly in the past, will be amusing or interesting later on. I wouldn't want to miss out on all that simply because was pissed off for 5 minutes. And I don't tend to hold grudges - I'm too lazy to stay angry at someone indefinitely.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Someone ignoring you is not always a consequence of your behavior. Someone ignoring you could be the result of their own internal feelings, values, and judgments.

I choose to ignore Glenn Beck, but some people willingly make certain to watch his show. That doesn't mean Glenn Beck should re-examine his behavior or change himself, that just means I'm going to ignore him.

The same could be said about many people.

Of course, in a one-on-one relationship or friendship of any kind, you could potentially take on responsibility for changing your behavior to please the other person, as that would facilitate the relationship continuing.

But you don't have to, as long as you aren't actively harming them, and if you don't consider that friendship or relationship important.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    That doesn't mean Glenn Beck should re-examine his behavior or change himself,
    I beg to differ. A lot of people are adopting extremely destructive, irrational views from watching his show. He has a lot of influence, and he's not using it very responsibly. He should really do a little bit of introspection, and try to understand what's wrong with the stuff he spouts.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I beg to differ. A lot of people are adopting extremely destructive, irrational views from watching his show. He has a lot of influence, and he's not using it very responsibly. He should really do a little bit of introspection, and try to understand what's wrong with the stuff he spouts.
    Well, in my opinion he definitely should, but that's just my opinion. He isn't so actively dangerous that I need to organize an uprising to stop him.

I mean, I hate a lot of things that are out there, but I can't control it, and when it comes to the media, I believe that parents have a responsibility to shield their children from damaging media, but I can't make them if they don't. And telling Glenn Beck he doesn't have the right to be on television in the first place is a slippery slope in censoring free speech that I never want to be a part of. I'd rather have people spout offensive, ignorant opinions than have the media exclusively run by the government or a church...and these things are possible and have happened in the world before.

being offended, we show our indifferent as a kind of ah-ha in your face weapon, but when i remember that moment, i always feel a tinge of regret. so, i feel that it's pointless to be mad, because i always end up recalling the moment sadly, instead of with happiness. and i wonder how that person would feel, thinking back. embarrassed, sad?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I don't use the ignore feature. I used it once, but I just got too curious about the hidden posts, and I turned it off. Something about having the messages hidden made them more important in my mind.

When a poster bothers me that much, I often see myself and my own personal buttons as a large part of the problem. I'm not sitting there thinking, this person is worthless and has nothing to contribute, so I'll just make their words disappear from my screen forever. It's largely about me and my own reactions. Even if I think the poster is a real ignorant asshole, I'm not equally bothered by all ignorant assholes, and there are personal reasons some get to me more than others. I also feel like I'm just shutting out a part of reality I don't like. I think, these people are thinking these thoughts whether you like it or not, so what's the point of pretending they don't exist? Deal with it.

I consider myself pretty open to changing my mind about people. There's a part of me that seems to want to find things to like about people, even if I think they're generally irritating, stupid or off-the-wall. Yesterday the poster I once had on ignore wrote something that cracked me up. Why miss out.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by blankpages View Post
    I also feel like I'm just shutting out a part of reality I don't like. I think, these people are thinking these thoughts whether you like it or not, so what's the point of pretending they don't exist? Deal with it.
    I strongly agree.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness