User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Question Anatomy of an MBTIc Blog

Here's something I just noticed. Tell me what you think.

I'll admit I'm not a big blog-reader. I used to think of blogs as journals and places to air one's thoughts and just generally vent (positively or negatively). The strange thing about blogs here, though, is that they seem more like mySpace or Facebook walls. The ratio between chatting and journaling is very peculiar and not what I would expect. That kind of made me wonder just now whether blogs are really more virtual homes or territories than journals or diaries. By posting, owners invite others to visit their turf, on their grounds, and do whatever -- bond, flirt, learn, test out ideas and new personalities, etc.

It seems as though the posts in a blog serve multiple functions. They expel ideas and feelings and feed creative urges. But it also seems like posts (by the owner) are really used as decor. They set a mood in the blog that promotes whatever it is the owner wants: bonding, intellectual discussion, flirting, whatever. In this way, posts are a substitute for furniture, lighting, and music. We could even say that is substitutes for dialogue, and that REAL LIFE dialogue is only a tool to set mood, too, just like music. I think this depends on the type of dialogue going on.

So, what are some elements of MBTIc blogs? How do they differ from other blogs? What purposes do blogs serve? Do you think they resemble a journal or a studio apartment?

MBTI
    INFJ

I agree that the blogs here are completely different from the classic blogs in other places. As far as I can see, the reason is that the posts are not separated in threads with one "Original Post by Blog Owner" followed by Comments by Users. Here, everything is all mixed up. The comments have the same visibility as the owner's posts, and there are no separations between the different owner's posts (ie. some people are still commenting on yesterday's post, while the owner is posting some new stuff that people start commenting on along with yesterday's post, and so on). It's all just one big flow. Personally, I really like that! I feel it sets a completely different kind of atmosphere, a more open and reactive one (I like your studio apartment metaphor), where everyone is free to move between yesterday, today and tomorrow, and between topics, and to mix and match various "threads". It becomes much more "global", which cannot fail to please this iNtuitive, as well as much more atmosphere-oriented rather than topic-oriented.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Great point, and obviously another distinction from private journals.

I'm not a huge reader of the blogs, but when I do look it feels like you're visiting someone's home as opposed to the rest of the forum, which feels like everyone is gathered in a public place.

Largely they don't feel like true blogs, just like hosted parties.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INFJ

It depends on the blog. Eg, Jennifer's blog is about what's going on in her life and how she feels about it, with related outside comments. It's like reading a journal, or participating in a quiet conversation. Other blogs are more like an online party.

Some very long posts can seem like blogs, with the original poster inviting you in to read and comment upon his thoughts. There's some fluidity between blogs and regular posts.

Jae Rae
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

And wildcat's blog?

Pee-Wee's Playhouse.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I do think it's interesting that there is such a variety of blog 'types' here. Maybe it's because here there is a wider variety of personalities than at most other forums. The feel of a blog here seems to depend on the person (of course). I read a lot of the blogs here, at least occasionally. Some are so private that I hesitate to comment, especially to disagree. Others are public parties of a group of friends where again, I hesitate to intrude.

My blog here, like some others, is a journal and a place to vent. I'm not really concerned about 'setting a mood' when I post....I feel the freedom of having a chunk of space to write whatever I want. I guess there is an element of putting it on display, and I welcome input, but it really is more of a dumping ground than a chatroom.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I keep a blog for the following reasons:
    • Venting
    • Insights I had but have no idea how to apply them.
    • Intellectualizing things that most others don't think about.
    • To find some kind of attention I otherwise don't have access to.
    • Talking with myself about subjects that interest me in the hopes that others will be interested in them to...they're usually not.
    • It's the best thing I have as an opportunity for bonding with others. I just wish I could get to know certain people personally. It's one of the things I've been fantasizing about, lately. (And not in a perverted way, mind you.)
    • I use it for posting thoughts that I should be telling my psychiatrist but don't because:
      • I am not good at verbalizing my thoughts and I never think to do it when I'm talking to the doctor.
      • I don't feel as guarded when talking to people directly. I find it much easier to not be hurt by disagreement in writing than in speech.
      • I'm addicted to my computer, and every time I go to the doctor's office, I just want to go home again to a place where I feel secure.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    And wildcat's blog?

Pee-Wee's Playhouse.
    :1377: Not nice.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    yupp

My blog is just random, sometimes it's venting about how I feel. Or some idea that I'll never follow through. That and so I don't fill the forum with my narcisstic crap, and don't go crazy in real life because I rarely tell anyone anything in real life.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so