User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Absolutely. I was going to mention that in my OP. A blog is a place for a person to market him or herself. It reminds me of how birds will build nests and perform courtship displays for others. A blog can be used to advertise one's depth, intellect, social connections, humor, interests, etc.
    Here's an observation for you to ponder. You commented in the OP on what blogs were like, and your observations invited comment about what causes them to be etc. I also added a couple of generic questions about blogs further up.

But what sort of replies have you had to this thread? Yep! Almost exclusively comments from a personal perspective, about "my blog" or by reference to a favourite blog. In effect, perhaps reconfirming the preening of feathers.....?

Interesting, isn't it, how few people are interested in the big picture, when they can instead tell you what they think of their own painting.

I agree with your observations and insights, Edahn. The furniture/decor analogy is a bit strong and artificial for my perspective on my own blog and many other people's blogs though.

My blog is a virtual introduction of myself and sometimes ongoing interaction. It's a room people can peer into and decide if they want to come in and talk, listen outside the door, or just shake their head, roll their eyes, and leave.

MBTI
    INFP

I see my blog as the kind of conversation one might share with someone while sitting outside in the quiet peace of nighttime... perhaps while having a drink.. just a great place to have some serious, deep conversation that discovers and reveals. I use my blog to stimulate conversation about ideas I find interesting, but feel too timid to ever develop into threads. It's a great place to see the potential of others.. and their receptiveness to your thoughts. I definitely do not see my blog as a party. I hate fluff and smilies and bullshit, and it is much more attractive if someone can flex their intellectual ability in my presence.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    I see my blog as the kind of conversation one might share with someone while sitting outside in the quiet peace of nighttime... perhaps while having a drink.. just a great place to have some serious, deep conversation that discovers and reveals. I use my blog to stimulate conversation about ideas I find interesting, but feel too timid to ever develop into threads. It's a great place to see the potential of others.. and their receptiveness to your thoughts. I definitely do not see my blog as a party. I hate fluff and smilies and bullshit, and it is much more attractive if someone can flex their intellectual ability in my presence.
    So more like a coffeehouse than a party?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    You should be less timid, for the benefit of the site. Threads flop all the time. No one really cares. Just look at Uber.

heart on fire

You should be less timid, for the benefit of the site. Threads flop all the time. No one really cares. Just look at Uber.
    I agree. If no one answers a thread all it means is no one else was interested at that time enough to reply. It is not a big deal.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Actually, I don't even care when my own threads derail.

(And my blog derails all the time! )

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post

SHOCKING!

heart on fire

Here's something I just noticed. Tell me what you think.

I'll admit I'm not a big blog-reader. I used to think of blogs as journals and places to air one's thoughts and just generally vent (positively or negatively). The strange thing about blogs here, though, is that they seem more like mySpace or Facebook walls. The ratio between chatting and journaling is very peculiar and not what I would expect. That kind of made me wonder just now whether blogs are really more virtual homes or territories than journals or diaries. By posting, owners invite others to visit their turf, on their grounds, and do whatever -- bond, flirt, learn, test out ideas and new personalities, etc.

It seems as though the posts in a blog serve multiple functions. They expel ideas and feelings and feed creative urges. But it also seems like posts (by the owner) are really used as decor. They set a mood in the blog that promotes whatever it is the owner wants: bonding, intellectual discussion, flirting, whatever. In this way, posts are a substitute for furniture, lighting, and music. We could even say that is substitutes for dialogue, and that REAL LIFE dialogue is only a tool to set mood, too, just like music. I think this depends on the type of dialogue going on.

So, what are some elements of MBTIc blogs? How do they differ from other blogs? What purposes do blogs serve? Do you think they resemble a journal or a studio apartment?

It just seems like a place were one can talk about whatever they want to without derailing the threads on the rest of the forum. It also a way to see if anyone else shares your interests or not.

Yes, it is like a personal home on the forum. A very apt analogy.

MBTI
    istp

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post

sometimes you're more like a deranged conductor who sends the train careening off a cliff

with that said, watching trains explode is fun