User Tag List

First 1234 Last

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

There are two distinct types of blogs...

One is the more traditional style where the owner express their thoughts and ideas, while other members input their occasional comments.
    The other is the chat room style blog that holds conversation of anything and everything. Typically light-hearted dialogues. Perhaps these conversations can be held in the chat room... but I think this method works better since we come from so many different time zones, people do not go online at the same time.

I personally like having these two styles in MBTIc. Sure it drifts away from the traditional role for blogs, but it keeps members of the forum connected.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

I maintain a blog to keep my personal stuff from cluttering the forums, and to connect myself to others. I require it to stay sane. Fe drives me to fuse. And it helps me to be able to share my feelings with others so my feelings don't overmaster me or burn me up. I also like to know what's going on with everyone else, even if I can't comment.

My other blogs at Facebook, Myspace or Blogger are for the sake of my friends who need to keep in contact with me and can only be reached reliably through those mediums.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

My blog is much like what happens when a group of friends drop by- sometimes I talk, sometimes we chat, sometimes I leave the room to cook dinner and they all chat on without me! It's horribly disorganized and even confuses me!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INXP

These questions added as a cross post from the Psychology of online forums thread :

Do blogs represent a "home" in cyberspace? Is it pretend privacy? A place to show off?

Is the phenomenon of it being present on forums like this just because it is trendy? Or is it because people feel disconnected in a virtual world and want the equivalent of their own "bedroom, work desk" whatever to customise and feel is their's - ie is it about part ownership in a society....?

(to add to discussion topic)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    And wildcat's blog?
    Actually, his blog inspired my thread. I assume whatever's blog is that same, but I'm too afraid to seriously read it.

/smileyphobic

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Default Self-Promotion

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Do blogs represent a ... place to show off?
    Absolutely. I was going to mention that in my OP. A blog is a place for a person to market him or herself. It reminds me of how birds will build nests and perform courtship displays for others. A blog can be used to advertise one's depth, intellect, social connections, humor, interests, etc.

MBTI
    istp

my blog is, more or less, a place for me to throw virtual stuff so i can come back to it later

if i were to compare it to anything, it would be a lot like the huge stacks/piles of random shit next to my desk

i put stuff there, come back, look at it, revise, follow up, etc.

it's an extension of my lifestyle into the electronic world that i am allowing others to observe if they find it interesting for whatever reason

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I have a blog here that I add things to occasionally, but it's usually rather technical and boring... it's more something I use to log deeper insights I occasionally have, or remember things that I've done in the past so that I can compare them to my present work in quality (to see if it's increased or decreased). I rarely post to it, though.

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Actually, his blog inspired my thread. I assume whatever's blog is that same, but I'm too afraid to seriously read it.

/smileyphobic
    cool avatar, mod. got a shock when i first saw it, was wondering who this new guy was. what happened to the puppy?

but i digress.... wildcat's blog is a collection of xNxPs guessing at intentions, missing, and happily carrying on. that's how thoughts go. and out of chaos, comes beauty. You don't try to reason it; you simply follow it.

whatever's blog has got more structure, actually. just that if this is the information superhighway, her's is on hyper warp speed still. miss it for a day, and you've got pages to catch up on.

they're the 'open' kind of blogs, where one's welcome, and can just jump in anytime. it's interaction as much as self expression. though perhaps, the former is a subset of the latter.
    You gave me hyacinths first a year ago;
    They called me the hyacinth girl.
    Yet when we came back, late, from the Hyacinth garden,
    Your arms full, and your hair wet, I could not
    Speak, and my eyes failed, I was neither
    Living nor dead, and I knew nothing,
    Looking into the heart of light, the silence.

--T.S Eliot, The Wasteland

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Here's something I just noticed. Tell me what you think.

I'll admit I'm not a big blog-reader. I used to think of blogs as journals and places to air one's thoughts and just generally vent (positively or negatively). The strange thing about blogs here, though, is that they seem more like mySpace or Facebook walls. The ratio between chatting and journaling is very peculiar and not what I would expect. That kind of made me wonder just now whether blogs are really more virtual homes or territories than journals or diaries. By posting, owners invite others to visit their turf, on their grounds, and do whatever -- bond, flirt, learn, test out ideas and new personalities, etc.

It seems as though the posts in a blog serve multiple functions. They expel ideas and feelings and feed creative urges. But it also seems like posts (by the owner) are really used as decor. They set a mood in the blog that promotes whatever it is the owner wants: bonding, intellectual discussion, flirting, whatever. In this way, posts are a substitute for furniture, lighting, and music. We could even say that is substitutes for dialogue, and that REAL LIFE dialogue is only a tool to set mood, too, just like music. I think this depends on the type of dialogue going on.

So, what are some elements of MBTIc blogs? How do they differ from other blogs? What purposes do blogs serve? Do you think they resemble a journal or a studio apartment?
    At first, I didn't understand how individuals could achieve such high post counts in relatively little time. Then I realized that those people posted in a niche area where I don't venture. Blogs. I attempted a blog here to post my thoughts in and was forgotten about until your thread made me acknowledge its feeble life. I suppose my niche couldn't shelter anyone and combined with the fact that I eventually realized that I'll never look over it and its existence annoyed me, enacted me to cease any activity whatsoever. In essence, Blogs take up space and exhibit the quality of lame.
    I may be bested in battle, but I shall never be defeated.