User Tag List

First 678

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post

You can't control how the people they'll come into contact with in the rest of their life will choose to express that anger and dislike,
    No, you can't.. nor can they so, sometimes, the
    "perp" just gets shot.

MBTI
    INFP

Hm... I see your points, sub. Can't really tell whether the ban is a good thing or not without seeing some stats though. I'm certain it helps prevent some cases of abuse and I'm also certain it works like you say in others. (I've seen several of both.) I've also seen examples of physical punishment being necessary and examples of it being damaging. I guess I'm on the fence on the ban issue, but feel strongly that if it is allowed, it should only be used as a last resort, and only for younger children (who can't be reasoned with.)

Question though: If parents shouldn't be banned from being physical, would that also apply for teachers? Or is it ok to send a person who can only be restrained using physical measures to a school where teachers are unable to use anything but reasoning? (I guess an answer could be that even though teachers wouldn't be allowed to get physical, they would still have the threat of telling the happy slappy parents.)
    I have arms for a fucking reaosn, so come hold me. Then we'll fuvk! Whoooooh! - GZA

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Carebear View Post
    Question though: If parents shouldn't be banned from being physical, would that also apply for teachers? Or is it ok to send a person who can only be restrained using physical measures to a school where teachers are unable to use anything but reasoning? (I guess an answer could be that even though teachers wouldn't be allowed to get physical, they would still have the threat of telling the happy slappy parents.)
    Teachers, in my life-time, have never enforced corporal punishment... that job has always carried out by the Principal. Being called the the principal's office used to be a scarey thing.. now, its a joke.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ArtlessFuture View Post
    I stumbled across this article today Spanking Ups Risky, Deviant Sexual Behavior - Mental Health Disorders on MedicineNet.com
    about new research stating that spanking your kids may lead to deviant behavior later on. A quote from the article,
    Thats a pretty impressive claim. What do you all think? I don't have children, but my brother-in-law and his wife spank their son who is only 16 months old. I personally think thats too young, but is spanking ok at any age???
    "spanking can lead to such problems as delinquent and anti-social behavior in childhood along with aggression, criminal and anti-social behavior and spousal or child abuse as an adult."

In my opinion, NOT SPANKING causes those same things.

They should define "spanking" and "never been spanked".
    Into which category does someone fit who was only struck once in their whole life?

Were they "spanked" properly or improperly?
    Were they loved or rejected?

This is one of those things where the lines are fuzzy and it's easy to be dishonest with the numbers. If someone is already anti-spanking it's easy for them to not be able to tell the difference between those who do it right and those who do it wrong. To them it's all wrong.

btw: My own rule of thumb is not to spank before they're 2 years old, and not after the age of 11.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Seanan View Post
    Teachers, in my life-time, have never enforced corporal punishment... that job has always carried out by the Principal. Being called the the principal's office used to be a scarey thing.. now, its a joke.
    Ah, ok, the principal would work too.
    I have arms for a fucking reaosn, so come hold me. Then we'll fuvk! Whoooooh! - GZA

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

I was spanked as a child when reasoning would certainly have worked better. It was normally my Mom who spanked me, and she always did it in a fit of rage (she has a lot of anger issues). So I associated spanking with a lack of control and it just made me loose respect for her. I didn't like getting spanked, because it hurt, but mainly the behavior disgusted me. What did affect me, a lot, was seeing my little sister spanked with that same rage. She wasn't able to disassociate herself from it like I could, and seeing that really tore me up.
    (This continued to happen until I was old enough to stand up to my Mom and physically stop her from doing anymore spankings)

My husband and I are at the stage where we've decided to start a family, and we both agree that spanking isn't something that we'd like to do, but it can be necessary for some kids when they're young. The main thing is that it is done in a reasoned manner, there isn't emotion involved, and it is a last resort.
    “Can a man of perception respect himself at all?”
    ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky