User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

[QUOTE=Carebear;159398]consequences. The INFJ would be left thinking there was something wrong with them, while the ENTP would be more interested in understanding why the experiment went sour and finding out how it could be modified to yield a better outcome next time.

[QUOTE]

And the INTP would be thinking it was irrelevant and that the punisher was somewhat "whacked.".. well, speaking for myself actually.

Edit: don't know why

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

The ESFP would be thinking about a joke to make after getting caught next time to break the tension and make you not want to punish anymore.

The ISFP would be thinking about hugs. Not in any kind of strategy way, just about giving them, and getting them.

The ISTP would be thinking about ways to hide better next time.

The ESTP would be thinking about spanking you back. (And they'll probably do it, too.)
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    ENTP

as an addition to my earlier post I just want to add that spanking as deterrant/punishment is quite a different matter to spanking that's ostensibly presented as this, but is in reality a way for the spanker to take out their frustration and anger, and far from constructive or demonstrative.

As a child, my response to spanking was usually to figure out how I could do it next time so I either wouldn't get caught, or so that if I did get caught, I'd have a ready plan to deflect the punishment or convince the parent that "it's not what it looks like". My immediate thought when seeing the punishment coming was to try and avert it somehow, to a reasonable extent, but if not possible I'd resign to it and just think to myself "Shit, well, that didn't work did it?" But the chagrin only lasted as long as it took for the worst of the pain to subside a bit, then I was too distracted by plans and thoughts to notice it any more.

In fact, my parents - especially my dad - were fans of 'batch spanking'. There were five of us, and when nobody would own up to something we'd all get spanked - "that way I know I got the right one!" The supposition was that we'd police each other - that when the adult had gone, the innocent ones would come down like a ton of bricks on the guilty one, that old chestnut. But in reality what happened was that it increased our sense of solidarity and when the adult went away we'd sit around and cheer each other up by doing amusing impersonations of our parents.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Substitute... I don't envy your Dad's role.

Reminds me of Bill Cosby saying... "folks with only one kid aren't really parents at all... they know who did it."

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Seanan View Post
    Reminds me of Bill Cosby saying... "folks with only one kid aren't really parents at all... they know who did it."

MBTI
    ENTP

Oh and also, my father had a pretty reasonable policy with his spanking as well - he said that it had to be 'swift, just and final'. If he couldn't make it swift - if too much time had elapsed after the 'crime' in question, we could consider ourselves to have got away with it - that time! Usually we had to be caught red-handed, too, which was his lip service to justice, that if there wasn't overwhelming evidence against us then again, we'd get away with it. And it was also final - once over with, there was no 'in the doghouse' treatment; having 'paid our debt' we could consider ourselves fully reinstated.

This is why, despite the fact that when he went at it, it was with a will (boy oh boy yes!), I don't feel at all traumatized or bothered about it and laugh big belly laughs at suggestions that I was 'physically abused'. Whatever happened I consider to have been 95% all fair and above board, par for the course etc, if somewhat heavy-handed and over-enthusiastic in the application at times. I could see the logic, so... *shrug*

edit - Seanan - for sure. We were HORRORS. We all inherited one thing in common from him: an EXTREMELY strong will!!!
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Oh and also, my father had a pretty reasonable policy with his spanking as well - he said that it had to be 'swift, just and final'. If he couldn't make it swift - if too much time had elapsed after the 'crime' in question, we could consider ourselves to have got away with it - that time! Usually we had to be caught red-handed, too, which was his lip service to justice, that if there wasn't overwhelming evidence against us then again, we'd get away with it. And it was also final - once over with, there was no 'in the doghouse' treatment; having 'paid our debt' we could consider ourselves fully reinstated.

This is why, despite the fact that when he went at it, it was with a will (boy oh boy yes!), I don't feel at all traumatized or bothered about it and laugh big belly laughs at suggestions that I was 'physically abused'. Whatever happened I consider to have been 95% all fair and above board, par for the course etc, if somewhat heavy-handed and over-enthusiastic in the application at times. I could see the logic, so... *shrug*
    Okay... sticking neck out... I agree with this kind of "spanking"... good societal education.

My grandmother disciplined me and had the same attitude... it was purely instructional and done without anger... I had to go cut the willow switch for her to use on me... man, those stung.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

I'm definitely 100% against spanking. :steam:
    My children have never been spanked.
    My children will never be spanked.

We have decided not to spank our kids (currently ages 2 months - 4 1/2 years). I don't impose this perspective and judgment on others, but for me, spanking my kids would be a resort to violence nearly equivalent to child abuse and caused by my own failure.

I was spanked some at home and school, with hand, paddle, and a "switch" (tree branch). At about age 8 or so, I realized the folly of using violence for discipline, and any time I was to be spanked, I went into a diatribe about how it exposed the weakness and failure and loss of control of the one doing it. Pain became irrelevant, and I was able to smile and laugh through even the worst. It didn't take long for spanking to be phased out on me. I'm not exaggerating any of this.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post

edit - Seanan - for sure. We were HORRORS. We all inherited one thing in common from him: an EXTREMELY strong will!!!
    That's kind of how I felt about it. I was not strong willed and it wasn't often that I was enough of a little ass to merit a spanking, but when I did, I did.

(Like the time when I was playing in the neighbor's wading pool and my mom sent my stepbrother out to tell me to come in and I wouldn't, though she sent him out several times. It was getting ready to storm and mom was inside with the baby and I was old enough to know better, I just didn't want to stop playing. I got the switch all the way home for that one.)

Normally though, my mom would spank, give me a little while to calm down, then hold me on her lap and explain why I couldn't do whatever it was I did and tell me how much she loved me and that would be the end of it.

Now I will be the first to say that my mom is a nutcase in many, many ways, but IMO, she did a fantastic job with the discipline the majority of the time (she could have stood to be a little stricter with chores, etc). The instability in my childhood was somewhat traumatic, but the spankings? In my mind they really were a non-event and the few I remember I laugh about now.

My grandma was overall, a more stable influence in my life and I miss her terribly, but no spanking I ever received from my mom was as damaging to my psyche as my grandma's shaming. I would gladly have taken a beating over that.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers