User Tag List

First 12

Quote Originally Posted by Architectonic View Post
    Yes. Don't over analyse it. Don't think 'gee he/she is so much smarter than me, how can I compare'.

All that matters is good communication. Don't assume you know how someone else feels. You may find that they have even experienced the same thing in reverse - occasions where you seem more intelligent than them.
    She often does mention that I am smart, however lately when she mentions that it just seems condescending, however that is probably just over analysis on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    also worth noting that with "higher intelligence" generally comes feeling weird/ like an outsider to some extent. especially because what you gain in one area, you're probably losing in another. all talents and skills are developed at the expense of energy being dedicated to other talents and skills. being human, your girl is bound to have some weak areas and insecurities.
    One of the things that really bugs me though is how specialized my intelligence seems to be compared to hers. I easily come to terms with subjects like Mathematics, Physical sciences and some of the Social Sciences. However the rest of my intellectual pursuits are rather imbalanced in comparison. Whereas she seems to be able to excel in about everything she is relatively interested in (thank god she could care less about physics, statistics, or philosophy, or else I would have no intellectual abode).

Even socially she far outdoes me, I am a classic examples of of an intellectuals who struggles immensely in traditional social interaction, whereas she seems to have no issues acquiring friends and maintaining conversation. At least I can take solace in the fact that I'm not easy for her. She can't read me half as well as she can any other person despite the fact that I am probably one of her closest friends. Which is funny because I can read her like a book (unlike most others...). As far as I can tell this is really the only reason that I really feel comfortable with her as it gives me a sense of much needed control.

So pretty much gonna give it some time, not going to let some silly little detail like this ruin my relationship with a girl that I am quite fond of. I have to evaluate this relationship sooner or later given that I have college decisions upcoming and I'm going to have to weigh the options on what exactly I want to do about this then. Till then I just have more motivation to further my own intellectual abilities.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Zak-san
    At least I can take solace in the fact that I'm not easy for her. She can't read me half as well as she can any other person despite the fact that I am probably one of her closest friends. Which is funny because I can read her like a book (unlike most others...). As far as I can tell this is really the only reason that I really feel comfortable with her as it gives me a sense of much needed control.
    you're a mystery to her. sometimes there's something seemingly intangible about a person that makes them really attractive to us... with my last relationship it was the crazy way he could be really social and yet extremely private at the same time. i don't really know how to be social without opening up, and he was therefore a mystery to me. and what's unknown is usually inherently attractive. obviously you do have a leg up somewhere if you can read her and she can't read you.

i sometimes face the problem of feeling inferior (less about intelligence and more about achievements) with a close friend of mine... sometimes what helps me when i'm feeling down is really capitalizing on my strengths and individuality. what skills and talents do i have that she does not? what can i do right now that she does not? it sounds kind of unhealthy to think like that, i guess, but it's a momentary buoy that can prevent relationship sabotage. and most significantly, what is important to you? that will define who you are and what you are worth, moreso than any measures of intelligence.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Does she intimidate you in any ways other than her alleged test score from when she was little? Does she show you up in conversations? Compete with you? Debate? If no, then you should stop feeling intimidated because your reasons for feeling that way are shallow. If yes, you should either try and best her (if you like that sort of thing) or tell her to stop being an asshole.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Banned

People who compete and debate with me are such assholes.

Zak-san, have you ever had a relationship where the two of you share some topics of interest, instead of being in a form of teacher/student interaction within subjects of individual interests? It can be intellectually challenging and crazy fun!

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    People who compete and debate with me are such assholes.
    Some people don't like it .
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

"It is an assinine prejudice that mathematics has anything to do with the training of the mind . . . Mathematics is not a function of intelligence or logic.
    It is a particular gift, like music. You also find a mathematical talent with individuals that are idiotic in every other respect."

— Carl Jung

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    "It is an assinine prejudice that mathematics has anything to do with the training of the mind . . . Mathematics is not a function of intelligence or logic.
    It is a particular gift, like music. You also find a mathematical talent with individuals that are idiotic in every other respect."

— Carl Jung
    It's a nice quote. Pity it is mostly bullshit. Yes, you need some innate ability. But mathematics, like music composition is definitely something that can be learned by those who are of reasonable intelligence.
    See: http://terrytao.wordpress.com/career...s-to-do-maths/

i'm very drawn to people who are knowledgeable about a subject so i can learn, and when i see someone i consider less knowledgeable about something i eagerly want to tell them what i know about the subject.

actually i think that i feel excited around everyone, since everyone i see opportunities to learn from and opportunities to teach.

but with the people who are all-knowledgeable in apparently all matters, i feel a little unsure because all i can seem to do is take from them and it makes me feel guilty.. i want to give. so then i have this need to learn a lot so maybe in the future i could tell them something.

but i get afraid a lot that it might be offensive and i don't make any moves..