12 Last

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Default MBTI and how we learn

I've been thinking lately, about how different functions are used when we are learning something. Take reading a book... which functions do we activate when we are engaged in learning about various topics while reading?

For me personally, I can very much see that as I read, I'm looking for values, morals and weighing them out. But what about an INTJ? Do they use Ni while reading? And if so, how does this work?

I wondered this because my INTJ roommate said that when he reads he's often just reading through and doesn't sit to comprehend or make sense of it until he is finished. Once he is finished, he prefers to sit and discuss it, and therefore make use of Te to actually make sense of what he's read. It is in his use of Te that he is actually gaining ideas and making his thoughts.

So what about other functions? Ne/Fi or vice versa... Si/Fe, Ti/Ne, etc, etc.

I know for me, to sit and discuss a book after the fact will often make me feel as though I didn't learn anything at all, as Te is my weakest point.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Let's see...

Ne learns by playing with concepts, for me I like toying with ideas, tangent ideas ad nausum. Becuase my Ne is so active I prefer learning by symbols, pictures, and TV, especially concerning theory or stuff similar to that.

Fi filters what's of personal value to me (all else is thrown into the Si mess bin), it interprets truths that I like, ignores or discredits the ones I don't like, gives me certain ideals to hold.

Te, although used a little less often, hammers out the logical inconsitsncy of the things that I learn; unreliable data, flaws in logic, weakness of proof, etc. It trims away the useless information that isn't worth consideration.

Si learn by accumalation of facts, it intakes random bits of information and stores them away for later, albeit this is sorta messy and scattered information for me.

Well this is just how my functions learn anyway.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

yes different mbti types have different learning styles. im pretty sure you can find some studies if you google
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Things I came across on it:

Extraverts learn by explaining
    Introverts learn by chunking info together.. they need to be shown how to chunk, group, inter connect knowledge.

Intuitives learn by a 'discovery method' or 'why method' that allows them to link patterns and relations (theory)
    Sensors learn with organized, linear, structured lectures.

Thinkers learn with precise, action oriented, objective topics, that do not have vague expressions
    Feelers learn with groups and by focusing on human values and needs. harmonious environment, persuasion, harmonious surroundings.

Judgers use speedwriting, split page, color coding, reverse question
    Perceivers are always searching for input to the answers and do better if they categorize, sub categorize, and do various sub assignments that gets feedback from teacher before completing a full project
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

but what about an introvert with Te aux? they still learn best by bouncing ideas back and forth, correct?
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by IndyAnnaJoan View Post
    but what about an introvert with Te aux? they still learn best by bouncing ideas back and forth, correct?
    Yes. After a day's worth of lectures, labs, etc...I relax on the train back, and after dinner, go for a walk in the backyard, speaking aloud to myself about the things I've learnt during the day. In the process, I 'see' some connections to the other things I've remembered, so the information is retained for future use.
    “To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man or even for any one age. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty, & leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of any thing.”—Statement from unpublished notes for the Preface to the Opticks (1704) by Newton.

What do you think about me? And for the darker side, here.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

i think its better to look at learning style theories than trying to fit mbti to learning styles too much. im sure you can find at least some correlation tho, but mbti wont be perfect with this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Learnin...Kolb.27s_model
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    NiTi
    Enneagram
    5w1

When I read, I look for what can be implied from what I'm, reading and what it means. I guess this is Ni, but I'm, not sure.

OP, if you were to read an article on the crisis in Libya, would your reaction be primarily about how you feel morally about the event? That would be Fi, right? What would be examples of other functions reacting to the same article? I know as a (probably) INTJ (Ni-dom,) I'm thinking about how this event will influence the world and what this means for both the Arab world and humanity as a whole. A Ti-dom would I guess try to make a conclusion about the event; i.e. it will cause the collapse of dictatorship in the world completely or something like that.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Perch420 View Post
    When I read, I look for what can be implied from what I'm, reading and what it means. I guess this is Ni, but I'm, not sure.

OP, if you were to read an article on the crisis in Libya, would your reaction be primarily about how you feel morally about the event? That would be Fi, right? What would be examples of other functions reacting to the same article? I know as a (probably) INTJ (Ni-dom,) I'm thinking about how this event will influence the world and what this means for both the Arab world and humanity as a whole. A Ti-dom would I guess try to make a conclusion about the event; i.e. it will cause the collapse of dictatorship in the world completely or something like that.
    its not that simple, you cant put all responses to functions. and thats not Fi, Ti also has strong moral values, but while Fi is making these moral values based on evaluating of how you feel about it and empathizing others, moral values of Ti on the other hand are produces by sense of justice and that justice is determined on logical matters. its like Fi morality looks if its right or not while making the judgment on if its right or not without logical evaluation, but doing it based on gut feelings etc. while Ti makes that judgment based more on logic, like if you kill someone, its logical that you must suffer because of it. but thats not all, Ti users have pretty unconscious Fe helping to make the decision and Fi users have pretty unconscious Te.
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    do not have vague expressions
    You can't imagine how much I hate vague expressions when I expect an accurate answer.