User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you believe in astrology?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • SP - believes in astrology

1 2.13%
  • SP - does not believe in astrology

3 6.38%
  • SJ - believes in astrology

0 0%
  • SJ - does not believe in astrology

2 4.26%
  • NT - believes in astrology

7 14.89%
  • NT - does not believe in astrology

11 23.40%
  • NF - believes in astrology

6 12.77%
  • NF - does not believe in astrology

17 36.17%
123 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    ENFJ

Default Is belief in astrology type related?

Just a spin off from the astrology thread, and because I'm too lazy to analyse 50+ pages:
    Is belief in astrology type related? Please answer the poll

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    ENFJ

Oh - and feel free to reply too of course, whether you think it's type related or not. I think NFs are the ones most prone to believe in astrology.

Actually, I was curious if Ni types might be fascinated with it more than others. There are NTJ posters who come to mind who talk about it, for example.

I think it's worth entertaining, but I don't make much of it myself. The "portraits" for my reading (Cancer sun/Scorpio moon/Virgo rising) are kind of neat, but I barely glance at predictions.

Banned

This poll requires more selectivity because I feel that NTP posters are less likely to entertain the idea of astrology than NTJs.

I think Ni might be more drawn to it - archetypes, symbolism, mysticism - than other types. But I think belief and practice of it involves much more than that.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I don't believe in Astrology, but I still find myself fascinated by it enough to study it and look for patterns in it. Sometimes, I've even used a person's belief in astrology to help them recognize something about themselves more clearly, when they believe in astrology but not psychology. There are almost always a few clear patterns in an astrological reading that explain an important aspect of a person's character when interpreted correctly.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200
    I don't believe in Astrology, but I still find myself fascinated by it enough to study it and look for patterns in it.

as with any system, astrology is imperfect. i would not call myself a "believer" in it because i would not place my trust in it to determine a behavioral path. i would much prefer to know someone's mbti type or even enneagram, since those are self-reporting.

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

I see patterns with astrology too, but it really seem to me that thay are accurate in real life. So, I'd say that I'm a believer. Probably an interest related to my tertiary Ni. What is your sign Skylights?
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

I am a Virgo/Libra with AQR moon, Leo Rising, most of my planets are in the 2nd house, I have scorpio on mars, leo on venus, and I've read my whole birth chart over and over and felt it totally described me. I also grew up with a ex hippy mom that regularly read tarot cards and tea leaves to the neighbor ladies.

I DO NOT believe in astrolgoy any longer. AT ALL. I went 15 yrs of studying it like crazy, doing others birth charts, and had ALOT of crazy Random coincidences occur. I will tell you what changed my mind. An astrologer did a 30 yr study on it. He took over 200 babys all born on the same day, at the same time, in the same area. All babys had the EXACT same birth chart, right down to the rising. He followed the babies on and off for 30 yrs. He analyzed growth, personality, appearance, intelligence, hobbies, etc.. he checked in with the babys and parents twice a year for 30 yrs. At the end of the study he found less than a 3% consistency in charactoristics. They all had very different personalities, life experiences, hobbies, intelligence, totally random. This was a guy who had followed astrology his whole life, he had written books, and he came out and admitted that his study revealed no connection at all. I can't remember his name or the name of the study because as soon as I realized what a bunch of crap it was I vowed to not waste another minute looking into it.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Studies have repeatedly failed to demonstrate statistically significant relationships between astrological predictions and operationally defined outcomes.[7][58] Effect size tests of astrology-based hypotheses conclude that the mean accuracy of astrological predictions is no greater than what is expected by chance. For example, when testing for cognitive, behavioral, physical and other variables, one study of 2000 astrological "time twins" born within minutes of each other did not show a celestial influence on human characteristics.[59] It has been suggested that other statistical research is often wrongly seen as evidence for astrology due to uncontrolled artifacts.[60]

Experimental psychologists have suggested that several different psychological phenomena can contribute to perception of astrological accuracy. One, related to confirmation bias, is that people who are given a set of multiple predictions tend to remember more of the accurate predictions ("hits") than the inaccurate ones ("misses"). Consequently, people tend to recall the set of predictions as being more accurate than it actually was. When astrological predictions turn out to correspond with some phenomena but not with others, the recalled integrity of these predictions may stem in part from this phenomenon. A second, called the Forer effect, is that individuals tend to give high accuracy ratings to descriptions of their personality that are presented to them as tailored specifically for them, but which are in fact vague and general enough to apply to a wide range of people. When predictions use vague language, the appearance that they are specific to the individual may be partially attributable to the Forer effect.

The French psychologist and statistician who devoted his life to the attempt to demonstrate the validity of certain fundamentals of astrology, Michel Gauquelin, wrote that he had found correlations between some planetary positions and certain human traits such as vocations.[61] Gauquelin's most widely known concept is the Mars effect, which denotes a correlation between the planet Mars occupying certain positions in the sky more often at the birth of eminent sports champions than at the birth of ordinary people. A similar idea is explored by Richard Tarnas in his work Cosmos and Psyche, in which he examines correspondences between planetary alignments and historically significant events and individuals. Since its original publication in 1955, the Mars effect has been the subject of critical studies and skeptical publications which aim to refute it,[62][63][64] and of studies in fringe journals used to support or expand the original ideas.[65][66] Gauquelin's research has not received mainstream scientific notice.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read