User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you believe in astrology?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • SP - believes in astrology

1 2.13%
  • SP - does not believe in astrology

3 6.38%
  • SJ - believes in astrology

0 0%
  • SJ - does not believe in astrology

2 4.26%
  • NT - believes in astrology

7 14.89%
  • NT - does not believe in astrology

11 23.40%
  • NF - believes in astrology

6 12.77%
  • NF - does not believe in astrology

17 36.17%
First 456

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Let's see how ol' Carl the corpse explained his interest:

"My evenings are taken up very largely with astrology. I make horoscopic calculations in order to find a clue to the psychological truth."
    — C.G. Jung (In a letter to Sigmund Freud.)

"One can expect with considerable assurance, that a given well-defined psychological situation will be accompanied by an analogous astrological configuration."
    — C.G. Jung

"While studying astrology I have applied it to concrete cases many times. The experiment is most suggestive to a versatile mind, unreliable in the hands of the unimaginative, and dangerous in the hands of a fool, as those intuitive methods always are. If intelligently used the experiment is useful in cases where it is a matter of an opaque structure. It often provides surprising insights. The most definite limit of the experiment is lack of intelligence and literal-mindedness of the observer.

Undoubtedly astrology today is flourishing as never before in the past, but it is still most unsatisfactorily explored despite very frequent use. It is an apt tool
    only when used intelligently. It is not at all foolproof and when used by a rationalistic and narrow mind it is a definite nuisance. "
    — C. G. Jung: Letters, volume 2, 1951-1961, pages 463-464, letter to Robert L. Kroon, 15 November 1958.

If he used astrology, who would be dumb enough to buy into any of his psychological type crap. Right?
    HA

Quote Originally Posted by Urarienev View Post
    I don't think you're a crazy hippie

Ok. I can still be happy when people like me.

Astrology and Religion

Quote Originally Posted by Urarienev View Post
    I didn't think of astology as a religion template. I get the other stuff your talking about and the overall picture how it relates. But my family is super religious...they think astrology is the devil...pure evil. So how can it be the template for all other religions?
    If you type in, "Astrology and Religion", into Youtube, you will find many videos explaining how religion arose from astrology.

Here is just one of them in three parts, just click on - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD9f0XU_S78
    and -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD9f0XU_S78
    and -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovFFZ...ture=endscreen

MBTI
    INFJ

Let's see how ol' Carl the corpse explained his interest:

"My evenings are taken up very largely with astrology. I make horoscopic calculations in order to find a clue to the psychological truth."
    — C.G. Jung (In a letter to Sigmund Freud.)

"One can expect with considerable assurance, that a given well-defined psychological situation will be accompanied by an analogous astrological configuration."
    — C.G. Jung

"While studying astrology I have applied it to concrete cases many times. The experiment is most suggestive to a versatile mind, unreliable in the hands of the unimaginative, and dangerous in the hands of a fool, as those intuitive methods always are. If intelligently used the experiment is useful in cases where it is a matter of an opaque structure. It often provides surprising insights. The most definite limit of the experiment is lack of intelligence and literal-mindedness of the observer.

Undoubtedly astrology today is flourishing as never before in the past, but it is still most unsatisfactorily explored despite very frequent use. It is an apt tool
    only when used intelligently. It is not at all foolproof and when used by a rationalistic and narrow mind it is a definite nuisance. "
    — C. G. Jung: Letters, volume 2, 1951-1961, pages 463-464, letter to Robert L. Kroon, 15 November 1958.

If he used astrology, who would be dumb enough to buy into any of his psychological type crap. Right?
    Some times people come up with something that makes a little bit of sense even though they are 'out there' otherwise. I mean shit, just look at Freud and cocaine.

Just because Jung thought astrology was cool does not validate astrology or invalidate typology.

And on that note, just because people borrowed his stuff doesn't mean he was right, either.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

As the saying goes, all models are wrong, but some are useful.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Some times people come up with something that makes a little bit of sense even though they are 'out there' otherwise. I mean shit, just look at Freud and cocaine.
    For all we know, Jung snorted it with Freud and they danced around the office together in women's clothing.

Unapologetic being Evolving Transparency's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Astronomy has shown astrology to be untrue, to be false. So astrology is a false belief.

I remember addressing a small group of astronomers and asked an astrology question, and they just laughed. And the astonomers laughed because astrology is laughable.

And yet hundreds of millions believe the false belief of astrology. Why, go to the back of any women's magazine, and we will discover pages of astrology but not one page of astronomy.

And still, astrology is the Ur-religion, the religion that is template for all the other religions.

So astrology is a form of psychological manipulation, a time honoured form of trance induction, followed by other religions right down to the present day, even to mbti. So mbti is simply astrology for the college educated.
    Ok, yea I knew this stuff from the website you posted. I guess I didn't get what you meant by template for religion because it sounded like you were saying religion is rooted in astrology and that religion is a form of manipulation.(Therefore astrology is a form of manipulation) I just don't see astrology like that. I think that you're talking about the pre-concieved notion of astrology. The definition of Astrology: The study of the movements and relative positions of celestial bodies interpreted as having an influence on human affairs. To me I simply translated this definition as...People have a relationship to planets...in particular, earth, the sun, and the moon... I think people have skewed the idea of astrology...probably even ancient societies.

thanks for finding those videos...I had seen them before but couldn't find them again.
    "Once the game is over, the Pawn and the King go back into the same box"

Freedom isn't free.
    "Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." ~ Orwell
    I'm that person that embodies pretty much everything that you hate. Might as well get used to it.
    Unapologetically bonding in an uninhibited, propelled manner
    10w12

MBTI
    INFJ

For all we know, Jung snorted it with Freud and they danced around the office together in women's clothing.
    *prance around* Look at my Freudian slip!! Tee hee!