User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you believe in astrology?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • SP - believes in astrology

    1 2.13%
  • SP - does not believe in astrology

    3 6.38%
  • SJ - believes in astrology

    0 0%
  • SJ - does not believe in astrology

    2 4.26%
  • NT - believes in astrology

    7 14.89%
  • NT - does not believe in astrology

    11 23.40%
  • NF - believes in astrology

    6 12.77%
  • NF - does not believe in astrology

    17 36.17%
First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 57

  1. #11
    Senior Member burymecloser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    514

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    I DO NOT believe in astrolgoy any longer. AT ALL. I went 15 yrs of studying it like crazy, doing others birth charts, and had ALOT of crazy Random coincidences occur. I will tell you what changed my mind. An astrologer did a 30 yr study on it. He took over 200 babies all born on the same day, at the same time, in the same area. All babies had the EXACT same birth chart, right down to the rising. He followed the babies on and off for 30 yrs. He analyzed growth, personality, appearance, intelligence, hobbies, etc.. he checked in with the babies and parents twice a year for 30 yrs. At the end of the study he found less than a 3% consistency in charactoristics. They all had very different personalities, life experiences, hobbies, intelligence, totally random. This was a guy who had followed astrology his whole life, he had written books, and he came out and admitted that his study revealed no connection at all.
    Thanks for posting -- that's really interesting. Do you have a link to the study, or name of a book or whatever?

  2. #12
    Carerra Lu IZthe411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,591

    Default

    We believe in typology......why not?

  3. #13
    morose bourgeoisie
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,859

    Default

    Belief in astrology is genetic.

  4. #14
    Senior Member Santosha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni
    Posts
    1,521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by burymecloser View Post
    Thanks for posting -- that's really interesting. Do you have a link to the study, or name of a book or whatever?
    You know, I cant remember the guys name. I gave up on it about 5 yrs ago. I will think on this and see if I can pull some stuff up online.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

  5. #15
    Senior Member INTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx
    Posts
    7,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    We believe in typology......why not?
    psychology is different from religion like pseudoscience
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

    Read

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will
    Posts
    5,927

    Default

    I voted NF - believes in astrology but then realized WTF I thought I was talking about NFs having bogus beleifs in astrology NOT ACTUALLY SAYING I AM ONE WHICH OF COURSE I AM NOT!

  7. #17
    darkened dreams labyrinthine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    8,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vorm Krieg View Post
    I think Ni might be more drawn to it - archetypes, symbolism, mysticism - than other types. But I think belief and practice of it involves much more than that.
    I can definitely see the logic of this assumption. For myself personally, I am 100% turned off by it. It may be because I've already been hoodwinked once into believing crazy stuff when growing up, so i may be a bit more rationalistic and Ti oriented than many Ni people.

    I think it appeals to people who trust established systems, desire to have resolution and conclusion about subjective, intangible aspects of reality. There is also a strong social bonding that happens in astrology environments. I am surrounded by hippie artists who assume belief in astrology when chatting. It is almost like sports or the weather. I find it alienating and disappointing because I am a bit repulsed by the arbitrary nature of it. I see irrational belief as a potential threat to survival, well being, and good choices.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

    I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

  8. #18
    philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    psychology is different from religion like pseudoscience
    Not much. It works the same way. There is actually a lot of psychology involved in the serious practice of astrology, and it's used a lot for psychological development. As I am so fond of saying, I believe astrology has more validity than typology. It's been around for thousands of years, it's impossible to be "mistyped" if you have an accurate birth time, and it's more tailored to individuals.

    It seems to me to be accurate, and for me it is absolutely accurate- I've read things about me in enough detail and enough times to know whether I was ignoring things which didn't apply- but it could be true that it's more accurate for some people than others. I think it's probably at least mostly true for a lot of people, but the way I look at it is that it doesn't really matter whether it's objectively true or not as long as people can use it for positive purposes. If it works as a tool, it has some amount of truth. As to whether it is objectively true or not, I couldn't say. I am a skeptic and always acknowledge that we can't be sure of much of anything, so I concede that it might not be. I've actually tried a couple of times to not believe it, but I find that the archetypes and categories are so ingrained in my mind there's probably no getting them out. So I might as well use them well and as rationally as possible.

    Me: Virgo/Libra sun, Aries/Taurus rising, Leo/Cancer moon, and a bunch of emphasis on Libra, Scorpio, and Sagittarius in the rest of the chart.

  9. #19
    Mojibake sprinkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    2,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    Not much. It works the same way. There is actually a lot of psychology involved in the serious practice of astrology, and it's used a lot for psychological development. As I am so fond of saying, I believe astrology has more validity than typology. It's been around for thousands of years, it's impossible to be "mistyped" if you have an accurate birth time, and it's more tailored to individuals.

    It seems to me to be accurate, and for me it is absolutely accurate- I've read things about me in enough detail and enough times to know whether I was ignoring things which didn't apply- but it could be true that it's more accurate for some people than others. I think it's probably at least mostly true for a lot of people, but the way I look at it is that it doesn't really matter whether it's objectively true or not as long as people can use it for positive purposes. If it works as a tool, it has some amount of truth. As to whether it is objectively true or not, I couldn't say. I am a skeptic and always acknowledge that we can't be sure of much of anything, so I concede that it might not be. I've actually tried a couple of times to not believe it, but I find that the archetypes and categories are so ingrained in my mind there's probably no getting them out. So I might as well use them well and as rationally as possible.

    Me: Virgo/Libra sun, Aries/Taurus rising, Leo/Cancer moon, and a bunch of emphasis on Libra, Scorpio, and Sagittarius in the rest of the chart.
    Typology assigns a category based on traits that one exhibits. Astrology assigns traits based on one's category. They are inverse of each other.

    Example:
    Being born in '76, I'm classed as a dragon, and based on that I can look up the described behaviors.
    Typology goes the opposite way. Rather than putting me in a category first and then describing my behaviors based on it, I take a test which examines my behaviors and then assigns a category. A descriptive category based on what I actually exhibit.

    Or in other words, typology is based on how you are. In astrology, how you are is based on something else.

  10. #20
    philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Typology assigns a category based on traits that one exhibits. Astrology assigns traits based on one's category. They are inverse of each other.

    Example:
    Being born in '76, I'm classed as a dragon, and based on that I can look up the described behaviors.
    Typology goes the opposite way. Rather than putting me in a category first and then describing my behaviors based on it, I take a test which examines my behaviors and then assigns a category. A descriptive category based on what I actually exhibit.

    Or in other words, typology is based on how you are. In astrology, how you are is based on something else.
    Good point, but not completely- I've seen typology used the other way. It's based on archetypes to some extent, and people infer from cognitive functions which behaviors are associated. The categories and behaviors kind of choose each other. In applying typology, it goes both ways; people think about the types as a whole, then the functions involved, and then use that knowledge to apply it to other things that might "fit" like music or exercise. Take this thread for instance- in order to guess which types or temperaments might be more interested in astrology, you have to go from category/archetype to behavior. Yes you can sort of go the other way around, survey people and study results, but in order to explain why anything is the case you have to use the same method as astrology.

    I think astrology had to work both ways when it was being created; people had to look at characteristics and behaviors and put them into categories in order to assign them to signs and planets. The signs don't just automatically have them. For instance most Virgos are nitpicky and detailed- it's represented in the archetype, but it could also have been the case that the people recognized this tendency in people and chose Virgo because it was the best fit. And in applying astrology and making it smarter, you go both ways; you study people of the same sign and people with the same planetary placements and see if they have behaviors in common; then if it's true of enough people, and enough people notice the pattern, it becomes an agreed upon characteristic of that sign or placement.

Similar Threads

  1. MBTI type and belief in god
    By TSDesigner in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 385
    Last Post: 12-23-2015, 12:39 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-09-2013, 11:07 AM
  3. In Charity There is No Excess - Help Type Me!!
    By Applez in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-22-2010, 10:45 PM
  4. is MBTI type related with economic condition?
    By niki in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-14-2009, 07:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO