User Tag List

First 123 Last

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Here's a problem. I normally do no confidence boosts. My unboost confidence is good for mostly anything. I do have a great problem with job interviews. Hence I'm prone to over- or under-exaggarate my confidence, and I haven't found a good solution yet, though I think I'm about 80-95% close to a solution.

Will report more if I remember this thread then.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ThatGirl

Hm, that ought to land me a job.

Walk into potential employers office.....

Spread legs.

:p

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    I spread my legs. Opening up myself physically quickly improves my confidence. Holding my fingertips together calms me. Opening up yourself physically slightly raises T levels.
    T = testosterone, or thinking?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ThatGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    Here's a problem. I normally do no confidence boosts. My unboost confidence is good for mostly anything. I do have a great problem with job interviews. Hence I'm prone to over- or under-exaggarate my confidence, and I haven't found a good solution yet, though I think I'm about 80-95% close to a solution.

Will report more if I remember this thread then.
    Yeah, I may have actually come off more likable. People wanted to speak with me longer than usual.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

What an honest Quinlan interview would look like:

Employer: Why do you want to work for us?

Quinlan: Because I need the money.

Employer: Next!
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Anyway, so the only thing missing in this scenario is a little confidence, and extroversion. How do you psych yourself out? Give your confidence and healthy boost? What are your strategies?

Everyone does it. Before a date, before an interview, before a performance, etc.

Anyway, just curious to hear how you guys go about it?
    You confuse me TG... you really should be hunting for jobs that suits you and your skill set. If you know/feel that you're a good fit, then your confidence should come naturally.

I've gone in for 3 interviews last week... mind you they're only for internship positions, but I impressed people enough to get multiple offers.

What I found really helpful
    1. Try to put yourself in their shoes. Based on their job description, what problems are they trying to solve by hiring somebody? Make sure you mention your skills that best solve these problems during the interview.

2. Background research! They're looking for somebody that will fit well with their current staff. If you can reflect the company's culture / speak their "lingo", they're think that "Yes, TG will not require much training and start helping us out pretty much right after we hire her".

3. Practice practice practice! Most companies ask similar types of questions, so you might as well practice and figure out how you'll answer them before you go in. Not needing to come up with answers on the spot makes your delivery that much smoother. You'll come off all the more confident.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

ThatGirl

It isn't about my skill set, or the job. It is about my hessitating before I even walk through the door, or leave the house.

Which I know is attributed to other things, that I am sorting through, but whatever, I will work it out. For right now, I would rather not walk into meeting potential employers while projecting off the attitude that I have forced myself to be there. Potentially burning bridges by acting before I feel inclined to do so.

So I either hold off on the job search for now, or I psych myself out, fake a little confidence, and hope I catch up by the time things start rolling in.

I just don't want the first impression I make right now to be the deer in the headlight look and that is exactly what I am giving.

I really don't know how to explain it.

Also, I very much wear my mood on my sleeve, and suck at faking emotions or inner feelings. So I actually have to get myself to believe in this, in order for it to have an effective result.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    It isn't about my skill set, or the job. It is about my hessitating before I even walk through the door, or leave the house.

Which I know is attributed to other things, that I am sorting through, but whatever, I will work it out. For right now, I would rather not walk into meeting potential employers while projecting off the attitude that I have forced myself to be there. Potentially burning bridges by acting before I feel inclined to do so.

So I either hold off on the job search for now, or I psych myself out, fake a little confidence, and hope I catch up by the time things start rolling in.

I just don't want the first impression I make right now to be the deer in the headlight look and that is exactly what I am giving.

I really don't know how to explain it.
    I think you just need practice... if you have a good friend with time on his/her hands, ask them to do a mock interview with you.

Then just find and apply for random jobs at places you don't really care about... interview there for practice. Once you got a few interviews under your belt, you'll feel less nervous.

Heck, I see interviews the same as presenting in front of an audience... it's just acting.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

ThatGirl

Thanks for the advice Nightning, and everyone in this thread. Much appreciated.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

tg i think you should try that leg spreading thing, it works even better with women than men
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read